G3 vs Headwaters

csoult

csoult

I was wondering if anyone has owned both of these or even just the headwaters waders? I guess I am trying to determine if the price difference is worth it. I know that there are two extra layers in the legs, but is that needed? Anyone that has or had headwaters... leaks????

The headwaters have a seam on the inside of the leg, The g3s have it in the front.

I shuffle, so the headwaters are out of the question for me. If your legs don't rub together when you walk, the headwaters are a fine pair of waders.

Get them from the bean so you can return them with no issues period. I just returned a set of helix waders that were too big on me and then I tore a hole in the knee by falling on a rock really hard. No hassles and since they were on sale I got 43 in store credit!

My only concern is that a lot of the reviews I read said that their waders leaked right out of the box, or after 3 trips or so.

Out of the 7-8 people I know with the headwaters or g3 waders, I know of one person that had this problem. Ask jdaddy for his opinion to hear the story.

Otherwise, myself included, no issues. I will never buy another brand of waders. That said, I find the freestones to be garbage.

Sorry I did not clarify that i was talking about the llbean waders.

I have 2 sets of bean waders, waist high and the helix. I tore my set of helix by falling and tearing a hole in the knee, simmes, cabelas, llbean etc it didn't matter they were getting torn from the fall. I patched them up for the one day on the water that I couldn't swap them out for dropped them off in the store on monday (labor day holiday) and had a new pair by the end of the week. NO charge for shipping, return (actually got $ back bc they are on sale) etc. Then again the top of the line llbean are as much as the simms headwaters. I'm not pushing them by any measure over simms as i thought about getting a set of g3's when i returned them but what I am saying is that I would get them from llbean IF i did buy the simms. $500 bucks or so or whatever they are now is too much for the little I fish anymore for a 1 year warranty. Good luck on your purchase.

csoult wrote:
My only concern is that a lot of the reviews I read said that their waders leaked right out of the box, or after 3 trips or so.

FWIW, I have a pair of bean waders that I have used for 10 years. No leaks to date. Of course, the Bean waders they sell today are probably quite different than the pair I own.

From what I've read, that's true.

I had trouble finding bean waders that fit my short stouness..or i would give them a try.

I've been using elcheapo $80 frog toggs - replacing them every 1-2 years or so...debating whether i should give the high dollar g3's a try.

Should i expect 4-5 years out of them to make it worthwhile?

That is the million dollar question..

like i said a million times if you fis a few times a year then buy walmart brand . If you fish alot buy simms period end of story. If you fish alot even the simms will only last 2-3 yrs depending (the more you fish the more u shorten their life )

I decided on Simms before I posted this. The question is are the g3 worth the extra money over the headwaters.

no not for me anyway cause the headwaters are 200 a pair , the g3's are over 400 per pair , i can buy 2 pair of headwaters for 1 pair g3 unless u walk funny like Jay L !!!! LMAO !!!!

Not being funny but where do you find them for $200 best I can find is for $299

cabellas had them , bargain cave but not sure now

i only fish 40-50 days a year, unlike some on here who fish double or triple that.
i have simms g3 and have worn them for 4 seasons with no leak or failure whatsoever. i must add that i care for them very well. when i'm done fishing and return home, i hose them off and hang them to dry. once dry, i hang them in my fishing room by the suspenders.
when i travel, they get hung to dry in the shower of the hotel room or in my camper.
the only time that they are folded or rolled is in my luggage when i fly.
when i travel by car, they are hung from the coat hanger in the back seat of my pick-up.
i think that a lot of wader failure (in the high end brands) is from general neglect. in my opinion, if you pay top end dollars, then they should receive top end care

well last time saying this... buy them at the bean and test them for yourself... if they fail in a year or 2 then upgrade then to the g3's and dont worry about the bs, end of story and no worries on buyers remorse period.

troutslammer wrote:
no not for me anyway cause the headwaters are 200 a pair , the g3's are over 400 per pair , i can buy 2 pair of headwaters for 1 pair g3 unless u walk funny like Jay L !!!! LMAO !!!!

Naw, that was only when he wore the Simms Women's waders. His gait is almost back to normal now. :lol:

csoult wrote:
I decided on Simms before I posted this. The question is are the g3 worth the extra money over the headwaters.

I have been told there will be a price increase on Simms waders October 1.

Back