Ft. Washington State Park - Wissahickon Creek

5alp

5alp

Drove by the Wissahickon access lot on Skippack Pike for the first time in a while. The northeast side of creek is clear cut from the rail bridge upstream to the bridge over Skippack Pike. I tried searching online but didn't find anything.

It definitely looks like work is being planned as there are silt fences in place. Bit of a bummer as this is a nice close spot to do some early season trout fishing and the summer panfish are great fun.

Anybody have info on whats going on?

I live a 1/2 mile away. That work is tied to cleaning up after the tornadoes that touched down all through the area. It was devastated, so I think they are starting from scratch there, not building anything. The bar was closed for a couple months too. Parts of Ft Washington and Upper Dublin and Horsham are still a mess with not enough roofers or insurance money for all the work still to be done. Blue tarps months later and such. They need to make riparian buffer a priority pronto, however!

Your post prompted me to email the park administrator and my township parks and rec director too, so I will post a follow up if I hear anything.

Last edited:
I live a 1/2 mile away. That work is tied to cleaning up after the tornadoes that touched down all through the area. It was devastated, so I think they are starting from scratch there, not building anything. The bar was closed for a couple months too. Parts of Ft Washington and Upper Dublin and Horsham are still a mess with not enough roofers or insurance money for all the work still to be done. Blue tarps months later and such. They need to make riparian buffer a priority pronto, however!
Thanks for info! Still shocked there's tarps on the developments near UD High School along 309. I knew MaGerk's took a beating but didn't know the park took one as well. That was one nasty storm.

Thanks for info! Still shocked there's tarps on the developments near UD High School along 309. I knew MaGerk's took a beating but didn't know the park took one as well. That was one nasty storm.

I just added to my post above that I sent emails to DCNR and Whitemarsh Twnshp too, so I will circle back if I hear from anyone. It is a bit odd to have no press releases or updates on the park website before that work began. There was a few weeks of tree crews there if I recall...

I just added to my post above that I sent emails to DCNR and Whitemarsh Twnshp too, so I will circle back if I hear from anyone. It is a bit odd to have no press releases or updates on the park website before that work began. There was a itfew weeks of tree crews there if I recall...
I feel like that level of work would warrant some notice. Correct me if I'm wrong but that section of stream gets a ton of pressure spring-early summer. Those trout (and other species) won't last long without the shade and buffer with the rains we get now.

Wow, the Whitemarsh Township director of Parks replied within 30 minutes. That is Montgomery County property, so he directed me to a post from the county:

UPDATE ON TREE REMOVAL IN THE MATHER MILL AREA (INTERSECTION OF BETHLEHEM PIKE AND 73)​

As part of the cleanup from the remnants of Hurricane Ida, trees and debris are being removed from the Mather Mill area on County-owned property at the intersection of Bethlehem Pike and 73. Arborists are working to remove uprooted and damaged trees that are not likely to survive given the levels of damage they have sustained. This work is being done is in the interest of public safety for users of the park, as well as to prevent damage to bridges and other structures that cross nearby waterways.

We realize the removal of the trees has caused some concerns for the future of this site. The County and its contractor are working with Whitemarsh Township and other environmental groups to plan for timely future site work which will include new tree plantings and considerations for stormwater runoff. It is important to note this site will remain as open space and there are no plans for development or construction on any of these parcels.

https://www.montcopa.org/31/Parks-Trails-Historic-Sites

I took a walk through there before they clear cut it, it had some twisted *** trees but I have no idea why they took every tree out. It was never a great spot, it was already silted and channelized but it’s a shame they did that.

They took a lot of trees out along the Neshaminy above the airbase as well.
Maybe so they could get equipment in deeper.
Good news at this location is that it will be left to grow back.
With the openings in the canopy, the natural seedlings should explode.

that water gets so much damn pressure in spring and summer. I used to work in Ft Washington and fish it after work. Was always shoulder to shoulder, even going into late May. Decided that my time was better spent pulling 10 lb carp on a 5 weight out of Loch Alshe. (which I highly suggest trying if you haven't. It's a blast)

I've never fished the Wissahickon above Germantown Ave. How is the bass fishing in the Fort Washington section?

The bass fishing is fair in the Ft Washington area. Nothing big, a 10 incher is a whopper. I used to take my son out for (mainly) sunfish in the summer on the section along Morris Rd and we would occasionally pick up a 3-6" bass. Mostly skinny water along there in the summer. There is a fairly big pool below the remnants of a mill dam a bit above Butler Pike that holds some better fish. It gets plenty of attention in the summer.

Back