Frogg Toggs Waders Review?

greenghost

greenghost

I was thinking about buying a pair of chest high stocking foot breathables since they only run about $100. (Orvis Enduras are $159)

Does anybody have a pair or used them before? They look good in the Cabelas catalog and the reviews are positive, but then again, those reviews tend to be self-serving. Any honest opinions out there?

I had a pair of them, they were nice enough, but leaked after about a year. I found the cut a little snug on the lower legs as well.

I've been doing a lot of research on waist-high waders and finally bought Cabela's breathables.

Anyway, while looking up stuff on the Internet I found this advisory or warning on Frogg Toggs hip boots:

"Please note that the Frogg Toggs Rana Breathable Stockingfoot Hip Waders have a very narrow ankle area. We suggest ordering the next size up from the size you would normally wear."

So I'd be careful about buying Frogg Toggs unless you can try them on first.

Also, many Internet stores have a zoom feature on the picture of the waders. Check out the seams. I noticed a big difference in construction between cheap waders at Bass Pro (abt $89) and higher-priced ($119) ones at Cabelas.

Lastly, if you have not done so, search the forum for Frogg Toggs. There should be a few threads talking about them.

Good luck.

RC,
How do you like your Cabela's breathables? I was considering them too.
Thanks

greenghost wrote:
RC,
How do you like your Cabela's breathables? I was considering them too.
Thanks

I only ordered about 3 days ago so they won't be delivered until Tues or Wed. Cabelas sold out of them in March and only recently started selling them again.

Here's a thread on breathable waist-highs.

Waist High Breathables

All I know is Cabelas breathables are popular and if I get 2 yrs out of them I'll be happy.

FishUSA has Frogg Toggs chest highs for $79.95.

FishUSA

I never ordered anything from FishUSA so I don't have an opinion on them.

Hope this helps.

RCFetter wrote:
Anyway, while looking up stuff on the Internet I found this advisory or warning on Frogg Toggs hip boots:

"Please note that the Frogg Toggs Rana Breathable Stockingfoot Hip Waders have a very narrow ankle area. We suggest ordering the next size up from the size you would normally wear."

So I'd be careful about buying Frogg Toggs unless you can try them on first.
Lastly, if you have not done so, search the forum for Frogg Toggs. There should be a few threads talking about them.

I did a whole post on Frogg Toogs hippers last year. In a phone call with customer service the lady at Frogg Toggs told me the cuff design for the hippers was a manufacturing defect that will not be fixed anytime soon. They just replaced my second pair with waist high waders which are almost twice the price. I will let you know if they fit better. At least the folks at Frogg Toggs are accomodating.

I have two pair of frogg toggs and they are probably the best waders I've ever had. They are light, durable, and cut well. By far the most comfortable I've ever had. They seem durable too. Two years with one pair and no leaks yet. I'm usually seeing leaks in one season.

Do not buy this kind and this brand of waders. After using this for a year the seam sealed tape from the lining stitches leaks and the company dont want to warranty it. So…. Why buy this brand. Many other brands which are very durable and good warranty….like simms and reddington

I use simms and after 3 years of using it was damage badly they change it to a new one without question.

After using this for a year the seam sealed tape from the lining stitches leaks and the company dont want to warranty it. So…. Why buy this brand. Many other brands which are very durable and good warranty….like simms and reddington

Let's see.

Frog Toggs - $79, last 1 year. So lets say the Simms last 4 or 5 years. At $550, that is not better. You'd be better off buying 5 pairs of Frog Toggs.

After using this for a year the seam sealed tape from the lining stitches leaks and the company dont want to warranty it. So…. Why buy this brand. Many other brands which are very durable and good warranty….like simms and reddington

Let's see.

Frog Toggs - $79, last 1 year. So lets say the Simms last 4 or 5 years. At $550, that is not better. You'd be better off buying 5 pairs of Frog Toggs.

That's why. Nobody is arguing the Frog Toggs are better. But they're a heck of a lot cheaper.

Yo pat - that analysis is so good that it's worth stating thrice. Not only that, you won't have to worry as much about years of mold and mildew buildup.

I bought the frogg Togg hellbenders after a recommendation from a friend. I've had them since June and have put in many, many days in them. Some crazy wading situations to like walking Keg Creek in NY out out to the mouth and getting stuck in knee deep muck in that swamp. I also busted through some thick laurel patches on the Savage River with no leaks yet. No complaints whatsoever. They are comfortable as I could imagine any waders being and have a bunch of pockets. My friend has had the same waders for 3 years and fishes hard, including 2 trips to Montana with them and still no leaks. Like mentioned before Simms might be better, but if I can get 1-2 years I'm way ahead money wise and anything after that is a big savings.

I bought a pair of hellbenders in august of 2014 wore them hard and loved them, then they started leaking this past may so I got a new pair...the new pair leaked in the same spot the 3rd time wearing them, and I had been very careful with them. I took them back and got my money back and decided to give field and stream pro series a shot...they leaked after a month...I took them back and exchanged them for another pair and so far so good. It has been a rough year finding affordable waders that don't leak.

The best pair of waders I ever owned were Hodgeman breathables from walmart for 50 or 60 bucks. I wore them hard for 9 years before they leaked.

Update on my original post two years ago: I did purchase a pair of Frogg Toggs Hellbender waders that year. I wore them pretty hard and they started to leak toward the end of that season. I sent them back to Frogg Toggs. Though they could not immediately send me back a new pair because of overseas production issues, they did sent me a replacement about 6 weeks later in January of 2013. They upgraded me to better model too... ANURAs. I've been wearing those for two years now. No issues. Comfortable. I really like them. And would consider buying another pair.

I had frogg toggs boots, they crapped out to quick, had 4 count em Four pair of cabelas breathable 2 ply waders, all leaked almost immedietly. quit cabelas and went with silver sonic convertable waders and orvis ultralight boots, much better but not the best, I guess simms would be the answer. Fly fishing is damn expansive if you want stuff which works.

I got about 2 months out of my Cabelas breathables before they started leaking and falling apart. I returned them before the year warranty ran out. Got my full purchase price back and upgraded to a set of Silversonics. Love em.

I however have a pair of Cabelas guide boots which Ive beat the #censor# outta and they keep taking it. Ive Aquaseal'd them a dozen times and they refuse to die.

Back