Freshwater Mussels?

Hi RLeep2,
thanks for that wonderful account. As my secondary knowledge goes, you are right on the mark with everything you said. It sounds like a very special area. I hope to experience in person some day!
-Take care, Kevin

Well its been a while and before it gets cold out there again, I figured I'd bump the discussion. I am still very interested in any mussels people might find. Thanks so much.
-Kevin

Kevin, I apologize that I never sent the ones I collected. They are in a box in my equipment cabinet. If you PM me an address, I will make the effort to get them to you.

The tunkhannock creek is loaded with them,Did not see any big ones but a lot of very small ones.If you want more than you are most likely to get.Ill send some to.Just post again.

Check out segment on freshwater mussels-second half of video from 8/22/10 http://www.wnep.com/shows/paoutdoorlife/

C'mon folks. I sent mussels to Kevin a year ago. Get with the show and send him some more. :)

Are you interested in any from NJ? I've seen a few in Stony Brook (large watershed in C Jersey with an all stone substrate)

KMC,

Don't know if you're interested but I find a few in Lake Skaneateles and Nine Mile Creek, the output of Lake Otisco.

Kevin--
Can you speak to the legality of collecting endangered mussel shells? I'm happy to help, but I don't want to be fined for possessing illegal shells.

Also, what is the nature of your research? Is this a survey. Again, I can offer some from NJ if you're interest. There are a bunch of mussels in Stony Brook, including, I believe, the critically "green floater."

Hi Wildfish,
first I want to say sorry to everyone that I've taken this long to get back to all the people who replied to my "bump" of this thread. I probably should not have picked the very beginning of the semester to do it! At any rate, yes I would be happy to comment on what I know about the specifics of the endangered mussels of the area. It is illegal to possess federally endangered mussels. The only federally endangered mussel in NJ is the Dwarf Wedgemussel which is represented by one small population in Northwestern NJ. This is not an area anyone has offered to help me so I was not too worried about that issue (further since this is one of the "exception to the rule" native mussels that does not grow much over an inch - it was something I intended to be eliminated for consideration by my invasive species vs. native mussel tutorial). It is nearly extirpated in Pennsylvania (only possibly found in the very northeast corner of the state). As for the green floater, it is not federally endangered but considered endangered in New Jersey. And this is based on one single shell found in the Stony Brook area. It was considered extirpated until this one shell was found. The odds of a person finding that species even in Stony Brook is akin to finding a needle in a haystack. It is also one of the rare small species that grows only to about 1.5 inches. However, I would not ask you to collect around that area knowing it could theoretically be found. Also, I want to point out the difference between the intention of the species protection laws and the "letter" of the laws. The laws are designed to protect living species. They are not designed to prevent outdoorsman from picking empty clearly dead shells on the side of rivers, they are designed to prevent people from a) killing/disturbing or taking live species and b) trafficking found artifacts - in this case shells (that can't be proven to be taken live or dead) for profit. One actually is actually more likely to negatively effect a rare mussel population in a stream by fly fishing in the water where the mussel lives, then pick up a dead shell on the side of the river. However, in the former case there's no way to prove anything, and in the latter there is a physical artifact to debate. But the fact is, that the shells that are rare and protected are almost impossible to find just kicking around on the side of rivers. So I want to allay fears that this is at all likely. As a researcher, even I have trouble finding evidence of rare mussel species even knowing where they are known to occur and spending many hours specifically searching for them. But if I find anyone offers a endangered mussel to me, or even says they are going to look for them in an area where they occur, I do promise to prevent them from doing so. And again I want to emphasize, I do not want anyone to even disturb a live mussel. I am only interested in clearly spent shells. Thank you for having me clarify this. The last thing I would want would be to compromise people who are kind enough to help me!
-Take care, Kevin

Hello,
I would definitely be interested but you should check out the pics in post #6 of this thread and/or my tutorial in post # 8. If there are tons of shells and they are small, there is a very good chance you have not found the native mussels I study but rather the invasive asian clam (picture in rely # 6). I would not want you to go through the time and trouble of sending me Asian Clams that I don't study and know pretty well (unfortunately) from the waterbodies around Massachusetts. However, if you find native mussels I am very interested.
-Thanks, Kevin

Hey tztrout, thanks for the excellent link!

Hello wsender,
I would definitely be interested!! Let me know if you find some you can share. I am equally interested in species from New York. And I am unfamiliar with what might occur at those waterbodies (except Zebra Mussels I bet).
-Thanks again, Kevin

Don't know if you're interested but I find a few in Lake Skaneateles and Nine Mile Creek, the output of Lake Otisco.

Thanks for explaining Kevin. So would you like some Stony Brook mussels? They're easy to find now with the water levels low, but once it rains (if it ever rains again) they'll be back under water.

We have a few Zebra mussels, and snail. If I find some in the near future, I'll set them aside for you.
KMC wrote:
Hello wsender,
I would definitely be interested!! Let me know if you find some you can share. I am equally interested in species from New York. And I am unfamiliar with what might occur at those waterbodies (except Zebra Mussels I bet).
-Thanks again, Kevin

I would absolutely be interested in any spent shells you might find and can share. I would love to see what occurs around your area. Thanks so much!
-Take care, Kevin

Back