french creek state park

mute

mute

Does anyone have any experience on the warm water bass Hopewell lake or Scotts Run coldwater stocked trout lake at French creek state park. I was thinking of camping up there for a day or and doing some fishing. This time of year how is the fishing on both lakes? And are they catch and release?

The bass fishing on Hopewell used to be excellent then it got weed choked. I haven't been there in a year or two, so it's hit or miss. If you can get a boat it'd be good for that place. There's a rental place there. There are also pike in there, so be prepared.

Scott's run isn't one of my favorite places to fish... There's a constant 35 mph wind for some reason, and I'm not sure how well it holds trout through the summer, but there are picks and bass. The spin fisherman throw flies with bubbles and slam them (the trout) all winter and spring, so the fish should be receptive if they are there. I stopped following the story years ago, but a MONSTER smallie was caught in there... I believe state record size.

There are some small streams in and around the park as well if you care to explore, and Hay and French creeks are only 5 minutes from the park with many others within 20 minutes or so. (I grew up just outside the park, incase you couldn't tell).

Back