French Creek in November?

B

bsullivan

Hey there,

I've had several attempts fly fishing outings scuttled by rain since the spring this year, and again was hoping to get out on Friday and Saturday this week. It appears that it's supposed to rain quite a bit Thursday into Friday morning where I was hoping to go (Gunpowder Falls), so I was planning as an alternative to perhaps camp with a buddy in French Creek (Chester Co.) this weekend where it should be raining less. Things I've read largely suggest that there is not much good fishing at this time of year at French Creek because the holdover trout are pretty limited from the spring stocking. True? False? Total waste of time? If not a total waste of time, any tips on flies would be appreciated by this novice!

Thank you.

I was there on the 1st for a few hours in the AT water and did OK (two trout and a the usual fallfish) BUT...

...the water levels that day were higher than what I am used to in the Spring however the stream was wadeable.

That day the USGS gauge at 4.85 feet with a flow of 70 cfm.

Right now it is at 5.51 feet with a flow of 207 cfm. You be the judge but with more rain coming, I expect it to be a raging torrent this weekend.

There are always the two lakes in the park...

I live right off the creek and barely ever fish it. It used to get a stocking in the fall but was years ago I feel. I typically fish it in spring a few times but there is a lot of good water to explore with varying fish to be caught. The flows have been good, but there is a good amount of rain coming it's way soon.

If I were going to fish French Ck at this time of the year and despite the wet summer that we experienced, I would fish somewhere in Section 02, which tends to stay cooler than do the sections farther downstream. For example, even during normal summers the game lands stretch a mile or so above St Peters Village in the most upstream portion of the section holds trout throughout the summer.

Back