Foam Carpenter Ant

NJTroutbum

NJTroutbum

Foam%2BAnt.JPG

The ant can rule the dog days of summer, so to be caught without them on the water can at times be the deciding factor on a days fishing. I tend to fish and tie one version which is a larger Carpenter Ant version. It's easy to see, floats well and the fish seem to enjoy them as well.

Foam Carpenter Ant Recipe

Hook: #14 Caddis Emerger
Thread: Black 6/0
Body: 1/8" wide thin Razor Foam
Hackle: #12 Black Dry

Foam Carpenter Ant Tying Video

Very nice. I think I will tie a few and try them. I love fishing ants but usually fish them wet.

I tie a similar ant without the post. nice as usual.

NJTroutbum, Thanks for this pattern. I tied a few up and have caught quite a few Trout on them. Best part is I can see them, so get to watch the take...that is the fun part.
Much appreciated.

Schiff,

That's great to hear. Any waters in particular? It definitely has worked its way into my box. :)

Hope the video was helpful.

Ralph

Yes. The LL and my first ever trip to the Yellow Breaches. Worked well on both streams. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. As with many on this site that share info, it may seam obvious, but all new to someone else. It is all appreciated.

Thanks for the report. ditto on the Breeches. Never fished it on the LL. But have done well there with the golden retriever. :)

Back