Fly recommendations for Lock Haven area?

nickplace

Hello, I go to school at Lock Haven and have just gotten into fly fishing and fly tying. I am curious about what stuff till be working in the lock haven area, specifically bald eagle creek and big fishing creek as that is what I fish mostly in the area. Thank you!

Search "Stream Reports" for Clinton County, or the name of the creek you're interested in fishing. Some of the information may be dated, but should get you pointed in the right direction.

Here is a good site with information on your area waters…
I’m sure you can contact them in person too with specific questions.

Stop in at JDs bait and tackle shop. They will tell you what patterns they sell the most. Your standard patterns will work, pt and hares ear nymphs. Egg patterns and mop flies. Wooly buggers, elk hair caddis and basic mayfly patterns like an Adam's will get you started.

Didn't realize this thread was 10 years old either. But has anyone heard from bbillings30 and how he made out?

• Haha
Reactions: GHM
Didn't realize this thread was 10 years old either. But has anyone heard from bbillings30 and how he made out?
How is it ten years old? I’m seeing Tuesday (2 days old). Where do you see bbillings30?

hares ears PT nymphs work everywhere. With bead, without bead, size 14 will do you. Throw in some Walt’s worms and a green weenie and your set. You will find you will catch far more trout if you keep it simple and limit your opportunities to outsmart yourself. Good luck.

How is it ten years old? I’m seeing Tuesday (2 days old). Where do you see bbillings30?

hares ears PT nymphs work everywhere. With bead, without bead, size 14 will do you. Throw in some Walt’s worms and a green weenie and your set. You will find you will catch far more trout if you keep it simple and limit your opportunities to outsmart yourself. Good luck.
For some reason I can’t edit so I have to reply to myself.

never mind, I see you posted your comment to the wrong thread.

For BFC you only need like 4 nymphs. Pheasant tail, hares ear, some form of a caddis, and a waltz worm. Dry flies are just as simple. Presentation matters way more than fly selection in my opinion. Also, the narrows is a nice section but way over hyped and over fished, there are better sections worth exploring.

I graduated from LHU in 1994. I was right where you are now 30 years ago. Learning BFC, Spring Creek, Penns , Pine, Little Pine etc.
LHU should have a "Fly Fishing Club" ? I know they did have an official club at some point. A buddy of mine and myself kind of laid the groundwork for that club when we were in our fraternity there. called ourselves "The Outdoor Club" . If I'm not mistaken his brother took the idea a step further a few years later and started a 'Fly Fishing Club" that eventually became recognized by the university at some point as an offical organization. They would hold meetings and outings etc.
If it doesn't still exist..... Re-Start it! Inquire about it, see what it takes to get it going again and if approved you just slap a bunch of flyers around campus and gain a little steam. They might require that you have an advisor though. (Sorry I'm too far away ! 😉 )
Your best bet is to join that club if it still exists or a like minded individual and just wear out your waders. LOL
Those creeks made me the fly Fisherman I am today and laid the groundwork to fish and guide all over the country! Lots of good memories up in the "Narrows"

Winter - Eggs, sucker spawn, scuds, cressbugs, Walts worms , Midges (Always have some "Giffith's Gnats")
March / April - All those, plus BWO and into Grannoms and Hendicksons so you'll need some dries to match and Pheasant Tails etc
May / June - Be ready for anything but Sulphur imitations , simple sulphur sparkle duns, CDC duns, Comparaduns will work most days for your dries and you could seriously fish nothing but #16 and #18 Pheasant tails for 2 months straight and catch fish LOL

Back