Fly line for a short rod <7' on small streams question

10November

Can anyone give a recommendation on what type of fly line to use on a short rod on small streams where casts are short?

Are there any fly lines which are designed to assist casting when you only have a few feet of fly line out of the rod tip. Many times I am unable to get enough fly line out to be able to make a suitable cast.

Overline with a weight-forward would be the simplest solution. Still, I would first test that solution to see if it is what you want. You might be better off just using a properly rated line for your rod and tinkering with the leader.

Adding:

If your casts are that short, your leader should be 6 feet or so, not much more. This will let you get a little more line out of the tip.

This post will probably spawn a tedious 3 page discussion, but what Jack said is really what it boils down to. So do that first.

I use a weight forward but I think my next line for my small rod will be DT.

Jack is right on with the shorter leader. Mine is usually between 5 and 6 feet so I can start casting/fishing with at least a foot of line.

Simple.....Cortland 444 peach DT. Still the best casting small stream short rod line made. Just my 2 cents. :)

I own two specialized small stream rigs. A 6 1/2 foot 3 weight and a 7 foot 4 weight. Both are loaded with DT flylines. I also agree with JackM, keep the leader short.

Most graphites are not going to load with a little line out. So you may want to overline as Jack said. Or try a glass rod which will load at short distances. I also use a short 4 foot furled leader with 2 or 3 feet of tippet, it really helps.

Mine 7 foot fly rod is graphite. I think I may invest in a short 3 or 4 wt glass rod.

has anyone tried cutting a few feet off a dual taper or a weight forward line to get the heavier part of the line closer to the leader?

Thanks for everyone's response.

Yeah, overlining is worthwhile when casts are short. I even overline by 2 or 3 wt on occasion. My most typical set up is a 4/5 wt rod, fairly fast action, with a 7 wt line. It REALLY helps you on small streams. For those that say overlining simply slows it down, well, I'd say that a rod designed to be fast at 30 ft with a 4 or 5 wt line is still pretty fast at

I think I may invest in a short 3 or 4 wt glass rod.

Don't be afraid to get one from a lesser known source like

http://woronocoflyrods.squarespace.com/small-stream-fly-rods/

or some of the others.

You just missed the boat on a great buy at Cabelas. Their 1 piece Prime glass rods were on sale for $95.99, normally sold for $159.99. They are now on sale for $127.99. Do I think they are worth $127.99? Absolutely. I bought the 7'-1" 4 weight for $95.99 and my next one will be the 6'-4" 4 weight. And/or maybe the 3 weight....

lefty kreh on overlining:

"There are situations where using a line heavier than the rod calls for will also aid in casting and catching fish, such as when fishing small streams for trout. Where pools are short and casts are restricted in distance, a heavier line can be just the right answer. For example, on many brook trout streams, the pool may be only 10 or 15 feet long and you are forced to use a leader that is at least 7-1/2 feet long. That means that only a few feet of your fly line — the weight that loads or flexes the rod — is outside the rod tip. When fishing where distance is very short and only a few feet of fly line are outside the rod tip, it is important to switch to a line that is heavier. For example, if you were using a rod designed for a four-weight line and had to cast most of the time at targets less than 20 feet, placing a five- or even a six-weight line on the rod would let you load the rod, and casting would be much easier."

For fishing brookie streams, I use a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt graphite rod, and use a 4 wt double taper line.

I never overline it.

My leader runs from about 7 1/2 ft (very rarely shorter) to about 10 feet long.

I've never noticed this problem with the rod not loading on short casts or other casts. And never felt any need to go to a fiberglass rod.

My first fly rod was a fiberglass Fenwick and when the graphite rods came along, I preferred those and never looked back.

I'm not sure what the explanation is, but I think it probably has to do with different casting styles and preferences.

A "fast" vs "slow" style of casting, for lack of a better explanation.

Don't overlook the TFO Finesse rods, both graphite and glass.

Overling is a great idea.

I also suggest doing so with a wulff triangle taper line. It is fantastic short cast line.

troutbert wrote:
For fishing brookie streams, I use a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt graphite rod, and use a 4 wt double taper line.

I never overline it.

My leader runs from about 7 1/2 ft (very rarely shorter) to about 10 feet long.

I've never noticed this problem with the rod not loading on short casts or other casts. And never felt any need to go to a fiberglass rod.

My first fly rod was a fiberglass Fenwick and when the graphite rods came along, I preferred those and never looked back.

I'm not sure what the explanation is, but I think it probably has to do with different casting styles and preferences.

A "fast" vs "slow" style of casting, for lack of a better explanation.

Agree with troutbert ^

A full flex or "slow" rod is not the panacea for executing short casts...."it probably has to do with different casting styles and preferences."

Many times you will need to cast tight loop to a tight spot and a faster rod will do a better job.

Try different rods and lines to find the combination that works best for you.

Back