Fly Fishing

There's no need to fish with bait.
That's your narrow opinion. Under your stewardship those of us that don't have the funds to purchase fly gear or expensive lures then should not be welcomed to fish???

I wonder how this system would perform if one were to use a silk line instead of the 20lb mono? Silk lines being thinner than plastic coated fly lines but they still might have more mass than mono.

Are you talking about silk fly lines?? How about just the running line from a 2wt fly line...?

The funny thing about all of this mono rig stuff to me is the guy in the video is doing is EXACTLY what you do with a Tenkara rod minus the reel.

My Tenkara lines are fluorescent fluorocarbon fishing line which is impossible to find in the USA but available from Japanese Domestic Market retailers or US based Tenkara dealers. Attached to the end of fluorocarbon is a tippet ring and my tippet is attached to that.

My lines are around .013" or .014" in diameter but fluorocarbon is denser than mono so it may be possible that .013 fluoro is as dense as the 20lb mono mentioned. The length of the lines varies but I'm typically fishing lines anywhere from 11 feet long minus the leader to double that amount.

Therefore IF you are fishing a 15 foot line on a 12 foot rod you can place your fly 30 feet away from you and you cast it EXACTLY the same as regular fly rod and line...

It's not lobbing or "dapping" as some confused individuals insist upon saying. With my Tenkara rods I cast dries, beadheads and even streamers with the same ease...

...just like the guy in the video. :whistle:

Are you talking about silk fly lines?? How about just the running line from a 2wt fly line...?
Yes I meant to say silk fly line (brain working faster than hands).

Yes I meant to say silk fly line (brain working faster than hands).

IF you were interested, Emanuela Zandri of Terenzio Fly Lines in Italy will make you any length or taper real silk, silk blend or artificial silk line you want.

However as someone who uses real silk fly lines on some of my rods, I can't imagine folks who never do anything but reel in their line at the end of the day wanting to use real silk instead of mono for those rigs.

There are some furled and thin PVC coated Tenkara lines out there that are cheaper, would work just fine and not require any TLC.

Back when I was a teenager I fished an old Shakespeare Wonder Rod with a beat up old Pflueger Medalist reel for stockies drifting nightcrawlers. I really never felt that I was flyfishing, but I could catch a boat load of fish!!

Exactly, fish bait with a flyrod, fly reel, and flyline or fish flies with a spin rod and float or do the mono rig thing or tenkara. Whatever floats your boat, I fish the way I want to fish and could care less how you fish so long as it's done legally and more importantly, ethically. Hell just yesterday I was helping out a kid and his non-fishing dad gear up the kid's spinning rod. Gear doesn't matter to me, attitude and actions do. We're all fisherman, there's no need to behave like cavemen.
I don’t think anyone is arguing or demeaning anybodies method of fishing. The question is simple, what is fly fishing. The question is not how do you fish and whether it’s right, wrong or agreeable to others. The question is not how you individually define fly fishing. The question is what is fly fishing and fly fishing is defined by your line carrying your fly to the target. Simple. No harm no foul though and nobody is arguing with any bodies angling preference or what they call it. I fish bait, spin fish, ice fish, freshwater fish, saltwater fish and fly fish so I surely don’t care what you call it but the question was, “what is fly fishing.”

I don’t think anyone is arguing or demeaning anybodies method of fishing. The question is simple, what is fly fishing. The question is not how do you fish and whether it’s right, wrong or agreeable to others. The question is not how you individually define fly fishing. The question is what is fly fishing and fly fishing is defined by your line carrying your fly to the target. Simple. No harm no foul though and nobody is arguing with any bodies angling preference or what they call it. I fish bait, spin fish, ice fish, freshwater fish, saltwater fish and fly fish so I surely don’t care what you call it but the question was, “what is fly fishing.”
Exactly. The OP asked "what is fly fishing?"

Pointing out that fly fishing involves using a fly, not bait or lures, helps to answer that question.

It does not imply that using bait or lures with a fly rod is wrong.

Just as pointing out that an apple is not an orange does not imply that either apples or oranges are bad.

Side note- flyfishing especially with dries for trout is my favorite but I enjoy all kinds of fishing. I love catching big Stripers on topwater plugs. Thats a close second to flyfishing. I like that visual aspect of seeing fish take off the top. In general I like to use whatever method catches fish.

It's easier to define it by what it is not.

The most obvious criteria is that it is not fishing with natural organisms as bait, nor is it fishing with manufactured foods, or food like substances (powerbait, marshmallows, corn, etc)

When is a "fly" no longer a "fly"?

If a wet fly/nymph is made with rubber legs, is it a "fly"?

How about if in addition to rubber legs the fly has a partial rubber body?

How about a rubber facsimile of a nymph tied on a hook or slipped over a hook? If that a fly?

How much rubber can there be before it is no longer a fly?

When is a "fly" no longer a "fly"?

If a wet fly/nymph is made with rubber legs, is it a "fly"?

How about if in addition to rubber legs the fly has a partial rubber body?

How about a rubber facsimile of a nymph tied on a hook or slipped over a hook? If that a fly?

How much rubber can there be before it is no longer a fly?
How much fur and feather before a lure becomes a fly?

Is a squirrel tail mepps a fly?

How much weight do you need to shave off a bucktail jig before it is just a streamer?

Is a popper ever a fly?

I was spin fishing one day and came across a gentleman casting a dry fly, he mesmerized me. I sat down on the bank watched . After a while he said " how's the fishing ? " It's ok I told him. If you get a fishing rod ,you would do better. I have one . I seen him a few more times and he talked fly fishing. Saw a fly out fit while at a shop and bought it. Went back to the creek for 2 weeks until I met him again. Said I have a fishing rod now what ? Can't use it . He put his down and spent the rest of day teaching me to use a fly rod and 2 more times after that would of been more but he passed suddenly. The advice he told me was " if your fishing and having trouble , be polite and ask anyone with a fly rod,they will be glad to help. " I have been doing this for 50 years, and not one time been refused. I could feel a fly box or 2 up with flies given to me when I ask what are you doing I'm not. You fish any way you want with a fly rod . Fly fishing to me is the way fly fisherman are willing to help and share their knowledge for the sport they love.

Not me.
I've never berated someone for how they fish.

Hey - I was once a spin fisherman.
We're all out to have a good time.

You quoted my post out of context as it was a reply to Bamboozle's post that I quoted not to the OP.

As for what is flyfishing, well fishing bait with fly gear is not flyfishing, it's bait fishing. The mono-rig thing is flyfishing IMHO though a non-traditional version. Tenkara is flyfishing, albeit without a lineholder (reel).

Would you consider a wooly bugger with a propeller flyfishing or fishing a spinner on a flyrod?

You quoted my post out of context as it was a reply to Bamboozle's post that I quoted not to the OP.

As for what is flyfishing, well fishing bait with fly gear is not flyfishing, it's bait fishing. The mono-rig thing is flyfishing IMHO though a non-traditional version. Tenkara is flyfishing, albeit without a lineholder (reel).

Would you consider a wooly bugger with a propeller flyfishing or fishing a spinner on a flyrod?
My apologies for any confusion on my part. My post was not meant as a call out or disagreement. I just saw the thread going in a direction nobody, that I saw, intended It to go.

to answer your question, if the WB with a prop was carried to the target by the weight of the line then it’s fly fishing. If the weight of the WB and prop carried the line out then it’s not fly fishing.

Back