Fly Fishing

But what about when I put a small float on for casting weight and fish a fly on a spinning rod?
Spinning rod = not fly fishing in MY book.

Similarly, hunting with a crossbow isn't bowhunting, which requires a bow to be considered bowhunting. I do hunt with both.

Last edited:
If you are looking not to get a fine, Its what the regs say. Other than that I don't care.

If you are looking not to get a fine, Its what the regs say. Other than that I don't care.

I think you’re missing the point.

Here are the two “golden rules” I’ve learned about FFing. Though really, only #2 is applicable here. But still, #1 is worth repeating, as it addresses the fact that the technique you’re fishing doesn’t really matter much versus other factors.

1. The three most important things that determine how many fish you catch are, in order: 1. Conditions. 2. Conditions. 3. Conditions.

2. It doesn’t matter what technique I am fishing at any given moment. I am more concerned with what technique everyone else is using, and the fact that their technique is wrong, and inferior to how I am fishing.

Simple.

Simply nothing to do with flyfishing. That sounds like ego. Period. The last thing i want out of any fishing is competition. Other anglers don't factor in at all. Ever.

Simply nothing to do with flyfishing. That sounds like ego. Period. The last thing i want out of any fishing is competition. Other anglers don't factor in at all. Ever.
Hey Tom, you know he's joking, right? Hey Swattie, you were kidding, right?

Even if you weren't kidding, you're absolutely right!!!

Hey Tom, you know he's joking, right? Hey Swattie, you were kidding, right?

Even if you weren't kidding, you're absolutely right!!!
Haha, yes. It was a joke. Though this whole thread is a joke IMO. I never understand why people care how the guy next to them is fishing (as long as it’s legal), or what kind of fishing it’s called.

The following is serious however:

In reality, I usually agree with most of what Tom posts. And he’s the closest to right as you can get on this particular topic. FWIW.

Haha, yes. It was a joke. Though this whole thread is a joke IMO. I never understand why people care how the guy next to them is fishing (as long as it’s legal), or what kind of fishing it’s called.

In reality, I usually agree with most of what Tom posts. And he’s the closest to right as you can get on this particular topic. FWIW.
Matt, aren't you glad you came back? LMAO

Hey, just to be clear, my post was entirely in jest. Sarcasm, rhetorical questions, etc are hard to decipher at times on the web or seems.

Plus, I don't think I've read a serious post from you in quite a while. I think they are all humorous. Since my capabilities are so limited by an injury right now, I'm spending WAY too much time on here.

Yeah, I’ve kinda jumped the shark with PAFF for a while now. Though admittedly, it’s hard to take anything too seriously on here in recent months.

I really enjoy Tom’s posts, and think he’s spot on most of the time. Feel kinda bad if he took it the wrong way. Sorry Tom, if you did.

I’m more than willing to go on another (self induced) “PAFF timeout” for a while, and probably should.

I’m more than willing to go on another (self induced) “PAFF timeout” for a while, and probably should.
No need for you to do that. And, I certainly hope you don't. You have shared a LOT of useful info here on PAFF over the years. Jokes and sarcasm on the internet can be tough to decipher at times, but if thought through it can usually be understood. You're a good guy, so please stick around.

Yeah, didn't get it.

Attachments

• superman-missed-the-joke.gif
    superman-missed-the-joke.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
[QUOTE="Swattie87, . Though this whole thread is a joke IMO.
[/QUOTE]

Nuff said

Lol, I've been fly fishing for over 50 years now. And here I thought it was the art of casting a hand woven/tied artificial lure of bird and animal parts. (Then came the synthetics), with a rod and reel of your choosing. My night rod is a 10' 7-8 hand made made specifically for fishing my big crayfish patterns. I use an automatic reel so I don't lose big carnivores at night. With as much backing as the reel can handle. Lmao, am I winch fishing? Yes I have cabin fever..

The dry fly nerds in the mid to late 20th century screwed up a lot of people when it comes to the snobbery and definition of fly fishing.
That's what I though fly fishing was about until i started getting into it.

That's what I though fly fishing was about until i started getting into it.
Funny how people look at it in different ways.

First time I tried FFing, nothing was hatching or rising.
I caught a few on nymphs, but wasn't very impressed.
Fishing underneath reminded me a lot of bait fishing.

I had little motivation to try it again until a couple of years later.
Got on Kettle Creek when the green drakes were hatching, and had a ball
At the end of that trip, I remember thinking now THAT's what it's all about.
And have been hooked ever since.!

Back