Fly Fishing Stocking Stuffers

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
My family always asks me to give them some ideas about stocking stuffers they can give me. I really started enjoying Air-Lock Strike Indicators this year and offered them up as one idea.

I'll prolly now get more than I need, which will be ok.

I usually recommend tippet/floatant/shot depending on what I’m low on at the time.

I usually recommend Sarcione, Godfrey or Bogden reels which fit just fine in a stocking...

...but I never seem to get them. ;-)

Here is another strike indicator to consider as a stocking stuffer as well.

The Oros Indicator: Oros Website

I saw a YouTube video from Mad River Outfitters in Columbus, Ohio where they introduced this new indicator and I ended up buying two packs of the smallest ones. They are like the Airlock indicators but simpler. The sphere is a soft squish-able foam kind of like memory foam. I fished with one on Saturday and I was pleased with it. I caught 8 so, they did well for my first time using them…

I’m a big fan of New Zealand strike indicators because they land SO softly on the water and these Oros indicators don’t come as close to the softness of the New Zealand indicators, but they are now my second favorite indicators. I do like the Air Lock indicators too, I have only used the plastic bulb ones and haven’t tried their newer biodegradable foam ones yet.

I like the Oros as they are inline with your leader. I would think they would cast better and are less likely to get stuck in you line. I don't have much problem with the Airlocks, but the Oros I think would even be better.

MathFish, any carving this winter?

The Oros Indicator: That's in interesting design. My concern, or a caution, is that it may torque the leader and damage it if you crank down on one so it won't slide. Maybe the soft material of the sphere prevents sliding without undue torqueing.

Thoughts?

I use the Oros and am very happy with them. The inline design in my opinion makes a big difference as opposed to the 90 degree issues with other round indicators. I do, however, wish the small size was even smaller.

The Oros are definitely interesting. I too am curious as to how it clamps down on the leader/tippet without torquing it. I know it says it uses foam, which would prevent physical damage, but there is likely a fine line between having it too loose and too tight. I think the "inline" concept is great and certainly is a marked improvement over the twisting that occurs with strike indicators (bobbers?) like Thingamabobbers where you have to manipulate the line through the eyelet, etc. People are always building a better mousetrap...

Admittedly, I rarely use floating indicators anymore as I've switched over to mostly tightline tactics. But I do keep some in the quiver as it's nice to have the option, if needed!

I like small indicators so about the only thing I use other than loose yarn or Orvis Strike Putty are the smallest Lightning Strike or Fish Pimp footballs.

I love the different florescent color options (Lightning Strike even makes a half yellow/half red) and both brands come in white if you are inclined to think florescent colors spook fish. They are in-line with your leader, cast OK, (even further down towards the fly like I often use them) and they are easy to put on, adjust or remove with no damage to your leader.

What I don't like about them is the price is ridiculous (pretty much a buck a pop) and they will break if you whack them HARD on a hard surface like a concrete bridge or huge rock although the Fish Pimp brand seems to not break as much, probably because they are lighter.

I also like the little storage tube the Fish Pimp brand comes in.

A ceramic tube bobbin, XL whip finisher, Chums or other glasses keeper, Magnifiers (clip on or other), Neoprene line tenders for spare spools, a Buff or other sun protector for your neck, Tippet/leader material. These are things i used the past week or 2 - or wish I had!

Hey dkile!

I haven’t started any carvings this season yet. I usually begin carving a few days after Christmas and then I carve until about March. At least that has been my pattern most years. The last fish I made was a redesign of a juvenile brookie. I tried to pay more attention to details that were pointed out to me in my last post about my carvings. It turned out well, but I noticed even more ways I could improve…. That one was the 34th little fish that I made!

I have to make at least 6 this season to fulfill one’s I have have promised to friends, family, a student, and a fellow PaFF-er who requested one… I just seem to lose the mojo for making them once Spring gets closer (perhaps it’s because I’m spending more time fishing then! :-D )

But if I am able to create anything worthy of sharing this year, I will do another post. I guess that will be on the new website version!

As for the Oros indicators, I saw no damage to my leader and I cranked it down pretty tight. I also adjusted it multiple times throughout my 3 hours fishing with it - so I do not believe that the concerns over damaging a leader are an issue. You definitely do WAY more “damage” to your leader using a thingamabobber…

Kbobb, those ideas sound like good stocking stuffers. I’ll add in an Amadou fly drying patch to another stocking stuffer idea. In the hopes of getting this thread back on track… :)

Travel size bug spray and sunscreen. I always find myself getting these on an as needed basis so it’s nice to have them in stock before I need them.. And of course you can’t go wrong with the “one size fits all” Sheetz gift card !

Back