Fly Fishing Noob here

auriemma

auriemma

Hi guys,

My wife decided my brother-in-law needed a fishing partner. So they went out and got me a spinner rig. After getting my license and other gear, we went out the day after opening day. After drowning worms and soaking powerbait for hours (caught (1) 12" trout and (1) suckerfish in 6 hours), and me not leaving the rod alone, he said I am not a passive fisherman (dead sticking as he calls it) and should consider fly fishing.

So yesterday I picked up a used G.Loomis Passage kit (7'-6" #4 wt reel, reel, line, and bag) for $75. A co-worker who is an avid fly guy, said he would help me out with flies, a list of essentials, and show me the basics.

Any tips for a complete rookie from you more experienced anglers? (besides not fishing near you).

Thanks,
Joe

Browse this forum and read a lot. Come back and ask specific questions when you find something you don't understand.

Casting small poppers for bluegills might be a good way to master some casting/catching skills with the fly rod before you go after the more finicky trout.

Welcome.

Dude, You have the best excuse ever. If your wife ever gets ticked because you fish too much, it's totally her fault! Awesome.

Newb here too. I feel that without these forums and the encyclopedia of knowledge they house i would have quit fly fishing as soon as i picked up the rod. On the contrary everyday i read these forums and everyday i learn something new. Now i just have to put it all together and catch a fish. Good luck. :)

auri,
Welcome to the PAFF forums and our online community.

I would also suggest picking up a few books. There is some good information out there.
Some of the books that I have that have helped me are:

Learning from the Water ~ Rene Harrop
Lore of Trout Fishing ~ Art Lee
Matching the Hatch ~ Forget the author but good entomology reference.

I also enjoy anything by John Gierach, lighter non-technical reading but still worth the time.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm trying to read as much as I can. The terminology is interesting to say the least, let alone casting techniques and what flies to use where, when and how.

My co-worker is giving me a casting lesson at lunch barring a rain-out.

And yes... It is ALL her fault. I was happy playing the guitar.

Thanks again.

Welcome aboard.GG

Going out for my first attempt tomorrow morning. I hope they are really hungry.

Should be interesting...

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Good luck! Let us know how you made out.

Well... that was first round was a bust. I strung up the rod the night before, tied my new tippet (7x) to my leader, tied a dry fly to my tippet (thinking ahead... hoping), looped in my indicator... all looked good.

Next morning, Mayflies buzzing the water... start casting out. Line bunches up, casted out and back an few more times to get it straighter, then I notice my tippet and fly are gone. Reel in... the knot is there but the tippet broke at the knot.

OK... I tie on a fresh tippet, another fly... and try again. a few more casts and my tippet and fly are gone again. this time the knot is gone. I put the fly rod down before I got really mad. I think my tippet may be too thin (or brittle) for me and knots may be suspect. So... time to practice tying more knots before going back out with the fly rod.

FYI: I took out my spinner and still managed to relax, brought home 4 good sized rainbow trout. I'm not giving up on fly, I've learned over the years that its better for me to walk away and try again later... which I will. AFTER i tie some more knots.

Cant totally evaluate but 7x is mighty small diameter (it will break pretty easy.

Might try something like 4x or 5x.

My best advice is to go fishing with someone expereinced who is willing to spend a little time showing you the ropes. This will shave months if not years off the learning curve.

Good luck.

My co-worker is tryign to setup a day when he can take me. He said there is nothing like actually fishing on the water and seeing what I am doing.

And I was thinking about getting some 4-5x tippet. 7x is tough to tie and get tight. You are so afraid of breaking it.

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
That does work-I went salmon fishing off Oregon.Young gal kept saying that and they kept obliging much to the rest of our chagrin.

Congrats,

I will say spinning gear does not have to be used for "passive" fishing, I myself did many years very active fishing with spinning gear. But, you'll have plenty of fun with fly gear.

As far as tips, we'll all be full of them once you get down to asking specific questions. But, as far as generalities:

1. Work at it and don't get discouraged to start, it will come with time. Ignore the fact that your friend is going to catch more fish than you to start. If you stick with it, you'll eventually surpass him and keep on goin. If you're in need of some action as a pick me up, find your local bluegill pond and have a blast.

2. Don't get in a rut. By that, I mean don't go back to the same stream time and time again, fishing the same hole over and over, casting the same way and fishing the same flies. Welcome new streams, new experiences, etc. Variety is the spice of fly fishing life, and you'll be a more rounded fisherman for it.

3. Learn what is really going on in a stream. Take a few minutes now and then and just observe, and even when fishing, take notice of patterns and such. What was that little bug fluttering over there? Why yes, that was a flash under water. No, it wasn't a coincidence that you got a hit the moment the sun went behind the cloud.

4. Be social. Ask questions on the board. When you're on the stream and that guy upstream is nailing them and you can't get a hit, go up and have a chat. Most of us are friendly creatures, a little odd, but harmless.

also,

don't use indicators with dry flies.

stevehalupka wrote:
also,
don't use indicators with dry flies.

Unless you've got tiny, tiny little flies and then by all means have at it.

I've chained indicator dries, like sz14 and 16, with size 20 and 22 dries often in broken water. It works.

pcray1231 wrote:
2. Don't get in a rut. By that, I mean don't go back to the same stream time and time again, fishing the same hole over and over, casting the same way and fishing the same flies. Welcome new streams, new experiences, etc. Variety is the spice of fly fishing life, and you'll be a more rounded fisherman for it.

True words. I never go anywhere than the usual spot, and it hurts because I become frustrated with new places.

I can't take my ultralight spin rod out of my trunk. I try to, but i can't. I take it with me everytime i go but i have some sort of weird feeling like i would be cheating now. I've caught so many fish using rooster tails, trout magnets, and panther martins. Everytime i walk out of the creek along the way i see a bunch of spin guys catching fish or with fish on a stringer. Im not saying theres anything wrong with that for them but for some reason there is for me. I met this really cool older gentleman today who shares my same philosophy. He started with the spin when he was younger but progressed to fly fishing when he was "about my age". He explained that he hasn't touched a spin rod in years with the exception of when he goes out for flounder and blues down the shore with his son. Call me what you will but i can't seem to think of a greater satisfaction than catching a trout on a fly i tied.

I used to carry my ultralight spin rod around too! It takes awhile to get outta the "spin rod safety net" I have a real nice st.croix ultralight and now all it pulls is perch and crappy duty on the lake. There is no better feeling than hookin up with a fish on a fly rod. Even better if you tied the fly

Back