Fly Fishing Elitism (from an outsiders perspective)

Does Fulton county have an over abundance of camps? Does Fulton county receive a large amount of recreation based tourism?
Yes, it has a lot of camps, as does nearly every other area of the state that has minimal residents and a lot of undeveloped land. My home area also has a lot of camps, too. Ya know, since I live within a 15 minute drive of over 300,000 collective acres of public land between Rothrock, Bald Eagle, Tuscarora, and numerous game lands.
I don’t recall ever hearing someone who said that they couldn’t to go fishing in Fulton County. Why doesn’t PAFF have a jam in Fulton County?
PAFF doesn't have a jam in Fulton because no one has ever organized one. If a member in Fulton had access to a good fishing spot and a good place to host a jam, people would come if they organized it. Kind of like that old Field of Dreams thing.... What in the world does someone's desire to go fishing in Fulton County have to with it? Is the desire people have to fish Potter County part of the issue? Each year, I have a good time in Potter and have never had any issue with residents or tourists. EVER.
Let’s not forget something very important. I’m not the one who has said derogatory things about other people. I’m not the one who called bait anglers retarded, or implied that just because of how someone chooses to fish, corresponds with their lack of concern over the environment.
Neither was I, nor have I ever thought that. Just because you spin fish does not make you a bad person, more prone to litter, or less likely to appreciate nature in a proper way. That was something someone started to run with and extrapolate from our sense of "elitism" as fly anglers.
t’s very clear that some of you have a huge issue with people who aren’t like you.
From reading all of these posts, the person that most seems like that is YOU, actually.

I didn't learn about bleaching a stream to catch trout to eat until I moved to Potter. I was invited to a Potter County roast one time...I asked what is a Potter County roast? Answer....we go out at night & kill a deer by hitting it with our truck. Then we roast the deer the next day!
Surely you must have reported such illegal activities to the proper agencies. By doing nothing, you are just as guilty as they.

Cznymph said:
Let’s not forget something very important. I’m not the one who has said derogatory things about other people. I’m not the one who called bait anglers retarded, or implied that just because of how someone chooses to fish, corresponds with their lack of concern over the environment.

All that would utilize my property are slobs!
All that would trespass are slobs. The act of being so lazy that you cannot seek out the property owner for permission is slobbish.

Nice try.

All that would trespass are slobs. The act of being so lazy that you cannot seek out the property owner for permission is slobbish.

Nice try.
I forgot that kid or adult that accidentally wondered on to your property is a slob.
Nice try indeed.

If you can't walk the walk, you probably shouldn't give advice

Yup. I was. I'm not sympathetic to ANYONE who litters or junks up everyone's 'hood. I don't care if it's WV, or PC, or in the middle of a city. And don't tell me it's "cultural"...because at that point, it's not me who is insulting "your people"...

In that thread I believe it was you blaming the trash on the flatlanders. When I pointed out that when I came across seriously trashed residencies last Fall that clearly did not belong to flatlanders, you quickly changed the narrative to, basically, "property owners have a right to trash their land". Which, they do. No doubt. Doesn't make it right, or good, or acceptable-and doesn't make those people any less of a slob than the tools who litter along the highway. Only difference is between private and public land. But it's all the same mindset that says "I'd rather throw this trash off my back porch" and "I'd rather throw this trash out my car window". It's really an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. If the trash is out of my car, it's out of my mind. If it's chucked into the woods and I don't see it, its out of my mind, and therefore, not my problem anymore".

I also-in that same thread-pushed back on people who claimed that the reason people littered was lack of education or financial status. I was the one making the case that people being slobs crosses all demographics. You only read what you wanted to read, apparently.

I've never lived win 15 minutes of a "metro area" with 300k people. EVER. So I have no idea who you're talking about. For most of my life I've lived BASICALLY amongst the Amish and Mennonites, and half of my dad's family are PA Dutchies who didn't speak English til they went to Kindergarten. So my "rural experience" is hardly limited to living in WV.
Do you not live in Malden, WV as your profile claims?

Malden is not within a 15 minute drive a the Charleston metro area, and for I do apologize. After further review, it’s within the metro area.

FWIW... I was fishing the Hammersley in Potter one year, and had a wonderful conversation with a couple who own one of the camps along the stream. We spoke for about a half an hour. I mentioned to them that I travel all the way from the Philly suburbs just to fish this stream. I told them how much I love it up here!

Even though I was an obvious "flatlander", they were very welcoming, and admired me for practicing C&R on their stream. I do consider it their stream, even though it's on public land. They respected me for my attitude. That's what it's all about, attitude.

It was other locals talking about what other locals do.
That sounds like it a least warrants a call to the WCO to make them aware of this behavior.

So you don’t have any proof though? Not like…… say links to forum posts where fly fisherman bash other forms of angling?

FWIW... I was fishing the Hammersley in Potter one year, and had a wonderful conversation with a couple who own one of the camps along the stream. We spoke for about a half an hour. I mentioned to them that I travel all the way from the Philly suburbs just to fish this stream. I told them how much I love it up here!

Even though I was an obvious "flatlander", they were very welcoming, and admired me for practicing C&R on their stream. I do consider it their stream, even though it's on public land. They respected me for my attitude. That's what it's all about, attitude.
There are great people that come here, I without being asked, make sure that a few of the neighbor camps driveways are plowed and open if conditions permit in deer season. They helped me out with a trespassing issue a few years ago. They treat me like a human and not a county bumpkin.

I've never lived win 15 minutes of a "metro area" with 300k people. EVER. So I have no idea who you're talking about. For most of my life I've lived BASICALLY amongst the Amish and Mennonites, and half of my dad's family are PA Dutchies who didn't speak English til they went to Kindergarten. So my "rural experience" is hardly limited to living in WV.

Obviously, you haven’t ever ridden in a the car with my wife driving.

Last week she drove right through Farmersville on Farmersville Road at nearly 45mph (the speed limit is 35mph). At that speed I think she could get from Farmersville to Lancaster (whose metro area population is over 500,000) in about 10 minutes!

Just kidding of course. 😃 (I live in New Holland)

Having lived in one of the most rural parts of PA for my entire life, excepting my undergrad and grad school years, I think I’m pretty darn qualified to speak on how derogatory slurs towards rural residents are perceived by those of us who live here.
1725891934670.png

I have a camp in Elk County. I have fished and rode snowmobiles around the entire NC part of the state from Cornplanters Kingdom through God's country to the Grand Canyon. I can't say I have ever had a negative interaction with the locals, save a few drunks in bars late at night.

The only time I see the anti-flatlander attitude is from yard signs in a few folks yards up there.

That sounds like it a least warrants a call to the WCO to make them aware of this behavior.

So you don’t have any proof though? Not like…… say links to forum posts where fly fisherman bash other forms of angling?
You're pretty funny dude! Actually, I did tell a WCO about it. Not because I was calling him to report a violation but is a close friend of mine.

You're pretty funny dude! Actually, I did tell a WCO about it. Not because I was calling him to report a violation but is a close friend of mine.
Which WCO is that? The one that got a DUI or the one that got arrested for trespassing and shoots at dogs?

Obviously, you haven’t ever ridden in a the car with my wife driving.

Last week she drove right through Farmersville on Farmersville Road at nearly 45mph (the speed limit is 35mph). At that speed I think she could get from Farmersville to Lancaster (whose metro area population is over 500,000) in about 10 minutes!

Just kidding of course. 😃 (I live in New Holland)
Y'all had me second guessing the population of Lancaster City! I THOUGHT it was relatively the same size as Charleston WV. Our population is under 50K, spread out over 30 sq miles.

Yeah the New Holland area is great. I do miss that area. When I worked for PNC I worked at the Leola branch. My dad's family is all from Martindale/Terre Hill/Weaverland. Big metropolises of course!

Back