Fly fishing and AI

😂. Yep and it blows my mind when I buy something for $11.01, give them a $20 that they punch in the register then hand them a penny after the fact and they have NO idea what I’m going.

That's actually kinda mean.

AI or not?

“For the glory of Old State!
For her founders strong & great. For the future that we wait.
Raise the song, raise the song.”

“Barely had 80,000. Nearly lost to last place team.
$65M buyout. Terry Pegula on line one.
Raise the cash, raise the cash.”

Dear Board,

I guess I'm a Luddite, but I see no advantage to needing some sort of device to assist my fishing. My phone never leaves the vehicle when I am fishing or kayaking or boating or taking pictures.

Last week on vacation the most activity my smart phone engaged in was constantly reminding me that the GPS signal was lost as my wife and I drove around sightseeing and taking pictures. I found it enjoyable that there are people who somehow need to be reminded that they are places that aren't just a click away. With a DeLorme tucked under the seat we went everywhere we wanted to go with no intrusive surveillance.

I go outside to be outside, away from all the connectivity and hub-bub. I'll leave the virtues of AI to the terminally connected and keep on doing things the old way.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I keep the Delorme in the back of my car every time I go to Pennsylvania

Great post, and how I feel about things. I’m just not into technology much. As far as fishing I’ll say two things.

1. The internet has already screwed some things up, creating a new, lazy breed of fisherman that isn’t really into the outdoors the way they think they are, or they’d be spending all their time exploring instead of sitting on devices. Not to mention spot burning that’s another issue.

2. I believe this with all my heart!! Regardless of how many videos you watch, what you google, and how much fancy stuff you buy, NOTHING replaces man hours on the water, period. I’m 42, and fish every chance I get. But when I was younger, I literally fished 5/6 times almost every week, all year long. The people I know that are the best fisherman are like this, fishing tons of days every year. I don’t care if it’s spin or fly fish either this applies. You can’t beat on water training.

As a funny note to these phenomenons, I do get a kick out of the younger dudes(and some old alike) but there’s a lot of young ones, walking around with 2,000 dollar outfits with 1000 dollar rods and barely can catch a fish. I don’t know why but this cracks me up especially when someone else walks in and catches a 25” trout on live bait. And see it more now than I used to. I was just fishing a variety of Great Lakes tribs and they were out in force lol!!

Happy fishing to all!! Just my opinion.
So maybe we shouldn’t use synthetic materials, UV resin, graphite rods, digital cameras, laser sharpened hooks, cellphones, GPS, nylon tying threads, tungsten beads, and I could go on and on. I try not to criticize how anyone else tries to catch fish. When I was at Rutgers there was a Psychology Prof who defined “perversion” as what anyone other than he did for sex. Orthodoxy has lead to all kinds of great things like the Spanish Inquisition. You do you.

Salmo, Not a critique, just an informative comment in case you’re a bit younger than me. I was around before all of those on your list, except possibly nylon, and believe it or not life was fine and enjoyable. Of course, that was before 70-75% of the population was overweight and 40% obese, so maybe many of the products that make life easier also have a down side…a shorter life. Technology is fine, but sometimes it’s just better physically and mentally in the long run to do some things the hard or old fashioned way.

And just for some humor and contrast, I was around when many of the elements, foods, compounds, products, outdoor activities, and practices that people fear for children today were standard fare. I think we just had a lot more fun, including more freedom than today’s kids. To hear and apply today’s myriad of fears and concerns, my childhood friends and I should have never seen our 18th birthdays.:)

Last edited:
So maybe we shouldn’t use synthetic materials, UV resin, graphite rods, digital cameras, laser sharpened hooks, cellphones, GPS, nylon tying threads, tungsten beads, and I could go on and on. I try not to criticize how anyone else tries to catch fish. When I was at Rutgers there was a Psychology Prof who defined “perversion” as what anyone other than he did for sex. Orthodoxy has lead to all kinds of great things like the Spanish Inquisition. You do

Salmo, Not a critique, just an informative comment in case you’re a bit younger than me. I was around before all of those on your list, except possibly nylon, and believe it or not life was fine and enjoyable. Of course, that was before 70-75% of the population was overweight and 40% obese, so maybe many of the products that make life easier also have a down side…a shorter life. Technology is fine, but sometimes it’s just better physically and mentally in the long run to do some things the hard or old fashioned way.

And just for some humor and contrast, I was around when many of the elements, foods, compounds, products, outdoor activities, and practices that people fear for children today were standard fare. I think we just had a lot more fun, including more freedom than today’s kids. To hear and apply today’s myriad of fears and concerns, my childhood friends and I should have never seen our 18th birthdays.:)
I don't care about AI and fishing but you'll be glad for every scientific and technological advancement if you end up with cancer or some other disease. The advances in treatment in even past ten years are saving lives. Not sure if AI will play a role in medicine but it very well may. An AI general practitioner might be a decent option for medical care.

So maybe we shouldn’t use synthetic materials, UV resin, graphite rods, digital cameras, laser sharpened hooks, cellphones, GPS, nylon tying threads, tungsten beads, and I could go on and on. I try not to criticize how anyone else tries to catch fish. When I was at Rutgers there was a Psychology Prof who defined “perversion” as what anyone other than he did for sex. Orthodoxy has lead to all kinds of great things like the Spanish Inquisition. You do you.
I said I’m not into technology, I don’t care or have a problem if some else is. I definitely agree with your last statement just do you. I genuinely don’t have a problem with most people and genuinely don’t care what anyone thinks of me.

The main point I was trying to make is that I actually don’t think AI will improve one’s fishing that much. Time on the water will forever be my belief on that is the way to improve. Additionally I made the comment about the net screwing up some fishing places to a degree, and I still stand by that.

I’m on the water 150-200 times a year. I will be fishing regardless what happens with technology.

I don't care about AI and fishing but you'll be glad for every scientific and technological advancement if you end up with cancer or some other disease. The advances in treatment in even past ten years are saving lives. Not sure if AI will play a role in medicine but it very well may. An AI general practitioner might be a decent option for medical care.
I agree with that man!! I have a autoimmune disease that I’m VERY thankful for the advancements in treatment! Good post.

AI is already being tested in the area of breast cancer detection in combination with the normal procedure conducted by the radiologist.

I could care less about AI. Why take away the learning curve that was so much fun when I first started to fly fish when I was 17. I'm very old school and am not one to delve into new techniques. I've caught thousands of trout without the benefit of AI and will continue to do so plying the same rivers I did 50 years ago and using the tried and true flies that have served me so well.

Well, I was born in 1950. Our first phone was a party line, we had an 8 inch TV, a ringer washer and a close line and our dishwasher was named Mom. I generally embrace change as “these are the good old days.” Credit to Carole King.

Well, I was born in 1950. Our first phone was a party line, we had an 8 inch TV, a ringer washer and a close line and our dishwasher was named Mom. I generally embrace change as “these are the good old days.” Credit to Carole King.
Wow! I never knew TV's started out so small! LOL....

If your family had a TV back in the early 50's, you were pretty well off.

Afish, Our first tv was like the one in the picture or very similar. It reminded me of an oscilloscope screen. That brings back memories of Philly TV stations going off the air sometime at night and coming back on around 6 AM starting in some cases, I think, with an agricultural report. Before they came back on the air all you would see when the tv was turned on was a test set bullseye accompanied by a high pitched mono-tone. We didn’t have much money, but my dad had graduated from RCA institute where he had worked in the development of tv’s and was also a woodworker so maybe he built it from scratch. He had built his first ham radio at age 12. We had a lot of homemade items in those days. That’s what people did out of pride, self-sufficiency, a lack of money, and as hobbies.

Salmo, Party lines were so much fun. Not! We still use a clothes line; I think the dryer gets used a few times per year just to take some dampness out of a few items that occasionally don’t dry well in the winter ( or should I say sublimate well?) A lifetime of that saves a lot of energy and prevents a lot of pollution, plus it’s free and the clothes/bedding smell great and last longer. My parents’ dishwasher appeared sometime in the late 1960’s, but it was used sparingly. My wife and I had a dishwasher that came with the house 32 years ago, but we’ve never used it. Didn’t have a need for it.

Last edited:
We still use a clothes line; I think the dryer gets used a few times per year just to take some dampness out of a few items that occasionally don’t dry well in the winter ( or should I say sublimate well?)
It's actually just 'evaporate'. Sublimation is the change of state from a solid to a vapor... but I get what you're saying :)

Drying clothes on a line was fun in the winter time. The clothes would be "freeze dried."

I remember visiting a family who had a clothes drier and thinking that they must be truly rich people.

Drying clothes on a line was fun in the winter time. The clothes would be "freeze dried."

I remember visiting a family who had a clothes drier and thinking that they must be truly rich people.
Growing up in Erie, we could hang a sweaty flannel shirt on the fence overnight (after shoveling snow, handling firewood, etc.). Next morning, we would shake all the ice out of it, after which it was both clean and dry.

Growing up in Erie, we could hang a sweaty flannel shirt on the fence overnight (after shoveling snow, handling firewood, etc.). Next morning, we would shake all the ice out of it, after which it was both clean and dry.
Dear6xAdams,

That's thinking outside the box, nice work!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

It's actually just 'evaporate'. Sublimation is the change of state from a solid to a vapor... but I get what you're saying :)
My thought was that it was going from a solid to a vapor when the clothes are frozen on the clothes line. It takes longer than from a liquid to a vapor in warmer weather because when frozen the water molecules are less “active.” Isn't that correct? I’m going to have to revisit my college chem text🤔

Back