Floating big pine creek

Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

Taking my kids camping/fishing at Big Pine creek between slate and cedar run. I have a fly craft stealth x that drafts down to about 3” of water that I was considering bringing to give them some better access and casting angles. However….

Usgs cedar run gauge height is at 1.8 feet and I know the local outfitter stops running trips at about 1.6. Assuming it will be in the 1.5 to 1.6 range with no rain up there when we go next wed and thurs.

Anyone with experience floating pine done it around this range or experience with this section. I don’t mind if I have to get out and drag the kids over some shallow riffles in a few places but did not want to turn it into a 3 mile boat drag.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

If it is too low to float, you can always take the kids blue lining for natives and explain the importance of brook trout protection / restoration
I would actually be taking them brook trout fishing if the brook trout were not starting to pair up and build redds. So I’m stuck with the big water.

I would actually be taking them brook trout fishing if the brook trout were not starting to pair up and build redds. So I’m stuck with the big water.
What part of the year should we be staying off the Brook Trout streams? I did not realize they got going this soon.

If it is too low to float, you can always take the kids blue lining for natives and explain the importance of brook trout protection / restoration
absolutely

What part of the year should we be staying off the Brook Trout streams? I did not realize they got going this soon.
I fish that region a lot in the Fall. Usually you're fine up through the first 2 weeks in October. After that, just be careful where you wade.

Fortunately there should be some stocked fish around to help take the heat off the brookies for you....best of luck to y'all.

I have the same boat and float the same water. In my experience the creek floats best at like 2.2-ish. You don't drag and the fishing is good. However, we have floated at like 1.7 and 1.5 and while it is doable, you do drag. It's not terrible.. Given I have the same boat, I find my results in low water obviously differ with how many people and how much gear.

In all honesty, the kids will probably have more fun fighting invasives vs. flipping natives in a net 1 second after hook set.

In all honesty, the kids will probably have more fun fighting invasives vs. flipping natives in a net 1 second after hook set.
I doubt that, at least mine don't.
My daughter especially loves to go brook trout fishing. One time when heading to a spring creek with wild brown trout she sounded disappointed. I asked her why and she said, "Brook Trout are just better. More fun. Beautiful in colors and surroundings. I'd rather catch little brook trout."
I immediately headed to a nearby state forest to go brook trout fishing.

She was 10 at the time I think and she is 14 now.

She has felt this way since I started taking her which was very early.

It might have something to do with them valuing what we as adult parent anglers value.
Those values translate into them having the same values.

Eventually leading to valuing the experience over the fishing.

my stepson on the other hand just likes the woods over fishing at all. He goes, but can just take in the surroundings.still valuing the experience over the fishing.

given Fish Sticks passion for brook trout, I would imagine his kids wanting share in their Dad's excitement over them.

Last edited:
I have the same boat and float the same water. In my experience the creek floats best at like 2.2-ish. You don't drag and the fishing is good. However, we have floated at like 1.7 and 1.5 and while it is doable, you do drag. It's not terrible.. Given I have the same boat, I find my results in low water obviously differ with how many people and how much gear.
Good advice here

Just wade pine and let the kids catch chubs. It's all the same to them

I am not a biologist but I think I got this close.

seasons of the Brook Trout stream might be:

September-pre building of redds
October- redds complete, courtship and mating
November-spawning done and eggs fertilized and vulnerable, fish guarding redds
December thru March- do not step on redds but winter might be when you get your biggest brook trout, young trout preyed upon by their own parents and other fish
April-typical high water sweeps away young fish, older fish caught by trout fishermen seeking other species
May thru June- Predation by bait anglers and harassment by fly fishers and spin fishermen
July thru September-Low water and high temps , predation by fishermen and wild animals

I am not a biologist but I think I got this close.

seasons of the Brook Trout stream might be:

September-pre building of redds
October- redds complete, courtship and mating
November-spawning done and eggs fertilized and vulnerable, fish guarding redds
December thru March- do not step on redds but winter might be when you get your biggest brook trout, young trout preyed upon by their own parents and other fish
April-typical high water sweeps away young fish, older fish caught by trout fishermen seeking other species
May thru June- Predation by bait anglers and harassment by fly fishers and spin fishermen
July thru September-Low water and high temps , predation by fishermen and wild animals
I'm not a biologist either but as far as I know, the males only guard the redd until the female buries the eggs which isn't long.

So November is game as long as you don't violate Dec-March commands.

I'm not a biologist either but as far as I know, the males only guard the redd until the female buries the eggs which isn't long.

So November is game as long as you don't violate Dec-March commands.
I dunno. Not sure I am pretty sure I have seen males and females still on redds in November.

I dunno. Not sure I am pretty sure I have seen males and females still on redds in November.
Yeah, likely a regional water temperature thing.
The spawn is really oct-nov depending on location and January on Big Spring 🤷

Even still I'm fairly certain males only guard until the eggs are covered then they both leave the redd, unlike bass who hang around and protect.

Brook trout in each stream are different but when I see them start pairing up i know they will be spawning shortly which takes a large toll on their bodies and creates a calorie deficit obviously so I personally just decide to leave them alone at that point and hit the big fall fish water or where I know it’s mostly non native species

Just wade pine and let the kids catch chubs. It's all the same to them
Yea thats why we were floating pine, my daughter just likes the colors on brook trout so she wants me to take her to see some under a bridge we go to watch them from and fish other times of the year. She also really likes fall fish so thats what we are going to do in pine by float or wade. She went night fishing from the bank with me at a kids area and there is a shallow flat about 6” deep I know of where we can stand on the bank and prob get something before bed. It should be good no matter what.

Back