Floating big pine creek

I dunno. Not sure I am pretty sure I have seen males and females still on redds in November.
I would guess the spawners go at different times which is advantageous because if a catastrophic event happens not all redds are lost as would happen if they all went at the same time. There are examples or other salmonids doing that, i will have to look into brookies. Wouldn’t suprise me if different individuals can be seen in oct and nov. i an up there around oct 5th and they have been seen spawning in long run in kettle drainage around that time

I would guess the spawners go at different times which is advantageous because if a catastrophic event happens not all redds are lost as would happen if they all went at the same time. There are examples or other salmonids doing that, i will have to look into brookies. Wouldn’t suprise me if different individuals can be seen in oct and nov. i an up there around oct 5th and they have been seen spawning in long run in kettle drainage around that time
That's a good point I had forgotten about too.
Those fish are survivors and there is a reason why.

In all honesty, the kids will probably have more fun fighting invasives vs. flipping natives in a net 1 second after hook set.
My daughter actually likes catching brook trout more because of how they look and where we find them. Big fall fish seem to pull just as hard if not harder so she does not really care if there are trout or not if we are just talking about non-natives. She knows they were raised in a hatchery in many cases and she has an age appropriate general idea of what effect they have on the stream. She talks and brings up the trips we have had for brook trout much more so than the times we have gone for the rubber bricks

My daughter actually likes catching brook trout more because of how they look and where we find them. Big fall fish seem to pull just as hard if not harder so she does not really care if there are trout or not if we are just talking about non-natives. She knows they were raised in a hatchery in many cases and she has an age appropriate general idea of what effect they have on the stream. She talks and brings up the trips we have had for brook trout much more so than the times we have gone for the rubber bricks
We usually get the biggest chubs in Little Pine above the lake. I know there are fallfish there too since we always see rock mounds. (I don't keep either one in-hand long enough to learn the difference between fallfish and chubs.)
Most of the non-trouts we get in the big creek have been smallmouth bass of all sizes.
(Your dreams may vary.)

We usually get the biggest chubs in Little Pine above the lake. I know there are fallfish there too since we always see rock mounds. (I don't keep either one in-hand long enough to learn the difference between fallfish and chubs.)
Most of the non-trouts we get in the big creek have been smallmouth bass of all sizes.
(Your dreams may vary.)
I remember one year someone I was with catching, what appeared to be, the largest chub I've ever seen. It was caught out of the main stem just above where marsh creek enters. I'm fairly certain it wasn't fallfish too.

I couldn't help but wonder what weird things the experimental fish culture station on Marsh Creek was doing 😂

I'm not a biologist either but as far as I know, the males only guard the redd until the female buries the eggs which isn't long.

So November is game as long as you don't violate Dec-March commands.
I'm not following that. Can you explain?

Why is November OK, but Dec. - March not OK?

i an up there around oct 5th and they have been seen spawning in long run in kettle drainage around that time
Where is Long Run in the Kettle drainage?

Do you mean Long Run near Gaines in the Pine Creek drainage?

The normal brook trout spawning time in NCPA used to be the month of October. You'd rarely see brook trout spawning earlier or later than that. The peak was the second and third week of October.

In more recent years, though, it seems to me that warmer weather sometimes shifts things later.

I'm not following that. Can you explain?

Why is November OK, but Dec. - March not OK?
Dwight,

My comment was TIC and in regards to anothers TIC list they made.

Refer to their list.

Where is Long Run in the Kettle drainage?

Do you mean Long Run near Gaines in the Pine Creek drainage?
The last Class A tributary in the upper Kettle drainage is Long Run, which is just over 5 miles in length and begins west of the village of Germania. It joins Kettle just west of Pine Hill above State Route 44 near Oleona. Long Run averages 15 feet in width in the lower section and is wild brook trout water. More than 90 percent of Long Run is on state forest land, and most of the stream requires a lengthy hike to get to. The mouth of Long Run marks the lower end of the Class A water on Kettle Creek. The collection of tributaries creates a stream averaging 15 feet in width with considerable flow. Unfortunately, downstream it enters a wide valley with limited canopy and doesn’t hold wild trout populations year round.

The last Class A tributary in the upper Kettle drainage is Long Run, which is just over 5 miles in length and begins west of the village of Germania. It joins Kettle just west of Pine Hill above State Route 44 near Oleona. Long Run averages 15 feet in width in the lower section and is wild brook trout water. More than 90 percent of Long Run is on state forest land, and most of the stream requires a lengthy hike to get to. The mouth of Long Run marks the lower end of the Class A water on Kettle Creek. The collection of tributaries creates a stream averaging 15 feet in width with considerable flow. Unfortunately, downstream it enters a wide valley with limited canopy and doesn’t hold wild trout populations year round.
Thanks for jogging my memory! I've fished that stream a few times.

I believe that the mouth of Long Run is where the WBTE used to begin on Kettle.

Yea thats why we were floating pine, my daughter just likes the colors on brook trout so she wants me to take her to see some under a bridge we go to watch them from and fish other times of the year. She also really likes fall fish so thats what we are going to do in pine by float or wade. She went night fishing from the bank with me at a kids area and there is a shallow flat about 6” deep I know of where we can stand on the bank and prob get something before bed. It should be good no matter what.
There is something about spotting trout in the fall in low and clear conditions. It's almost like an aquarium. I love checking marginal stocked stream for the survivors.

There is something about spotting trout in the fall in low and clear conditions. It's almost like an aquarium. I love checking marginal stocked stream for the survivors.

I love the fall fish in fall even though the name is unrelated. Trout focused on spawning that those things are just busy being absolute predators eating crayfish, small fish, and anything that moves since they spawn in spring.

I would actually be taking them brook trout fishing if the brook trout were not starting to pair up and build redds. So I’m stuck with the big water.
I haven’t been out fly fishing in forever but me and my friend were gonna go for Brookies tomorrow, are they spawning yet in the south central area of pa or is it still fine to fish?

I haven’t been out fly fishing in forever but me and my friend were gonna go for Brookies tomorrow, are they spawning yet in the south central area of pa or is it still fine to fish?
I have buddies who have seen them pairing up in some counties bordering maryland already. The up coming spawn can be incredibly taxing on them. The females will beat their bidies against the gravel to make a redd and the makes will fight each other to near death sometimes over the right to mate with a female. Its a time of year when additional stress is more likely to result in mortality. I personally usually stop when they pair up for for this reason. Browns can spawn a bit later than brookies and thats why they actually dig up and destroy some brookie redds so you prob have more time before the brown trout spawn than the brookies. Another big thing is not stepping on gravel with eggs in it november-march. But often the best places to get big brookies in winter is down stream of where they spawn in bigger streams in deep holes. So I generally fish for brookies in these larger waterways from late december to may-june. I generally cut it off in their headwater streams they hang year round october-december then go looking for larger brookies right around christmas in the down stream big waters. If they are not pairing up going tomorrow might be ok I dunno whats going on in your neck of the woods though with the brookies there.

I have buddies who have seen them pairing up in some counties bordering maryland already. The up coming spawn can be incredibly taxing on them. The females will beat their bidies against the gravel to make a redd and the makes will fight each other to near death sometimes over the right to mate with a female. Its a time of year when additional stress is more likely to result in mortality. I personally usually stop when they pair up for for this reason. Browns can spawn a bit later than brookies and thats why they actually dig up and destroy some brookie redds so you prob have more time before the brown trout spawn than the brookies. Another big thing is not stepping on gravel with eggs in it november-march. But often the best places to get big brookies in winter is down stream of where they spawn in bigger streams in deep holes. So I generally fish for brookies in these larger waterways from late december to may-june. I generally cut it off in their headwater streams they hang year round october-december then go looking for larger brookies right around christmas in the down stream big waters. If they are not pairing up going tomorrow might be ok I dunno whats going on in your neck of the woods though with the brookies there.
I have no idea what the brookies are doing it’s been at least 3 months since I picked up my fly rod. I’ll probably go tomorrow but if I notice spawning activity I’ll just watch the fish instead or just go bass fishing somewhere

I was hoping to get some brookie fishing in before the spawn but close enough to that time of year so they are really colored up but half the creeks I fish nearly dried up this summer and only recently have had enough water to fish so I might have missed it

I was hoping to get some brookie fishing in before the spawn but close enough to that time of year so they are really colored up but half the creeks I fish nearly dried up this summer and only recently have had enough water to fish so I might have missed it
I feel your pain i had one shot to get a pre spawn colored up brookie and the stream I picked wound up not having many brookies in it which is a change from last year unfortunately so I am already planning my dead of winter big water brookie fishing post spawn

Back