Floating big pine creek

I doubt that, at least mine don't.
My daughter especially loves to go brook trout fishing. One time when heading to a spring creek with wild brown trout she sounded disappointed. I asked her why and she said, "Brook Trout are just better. More fun. Beautiful in colors and surroundings. I'd rather catch little brook trout."
I immediately headed to a nearby state forest to go brook trout fishing.

She was 10 at the time I think and she is 14 now.

She has felt this way since I started taking her which was very early.

It might have something to do with them valuing what we as adult parent anglers value.
Those values translate into them having the same values.

Eventually leading to valuing the experience over the fishing.

my stepson on the other hand just likes the woods over fishing at all. He goes, but can just take in the surroundings.still valuing the experience over the fishing.

given Fish Sticks passion for brook trout, I would imagine his kids wanting share in their Dad's excitement over them.
Dead accurate for my daughter and I will add if I tel her there is a beautiful stream full of fall fish she gets excited and never asks “but are there trout?” Because I never have arbitrarily implied their worth is somehow less or poo poo’d the experience of bringing one to net when shes smiling reeling one in. All she knows is they are fierce predators that evolved here, fight hard, and don’t come from hatcheries.

I feel your pain i had one shot to get a pre spawn colored up brookie and the stream I picked wound up not having many brookies in it which is a change from last year unfortunately so I am already planning my dead of winter big water brookie fishing post spawn
My goal is to catch one over 10 inches this winter I had a few hooked last winter/spring and they all came unhooked

My daughter actually likes catching brook trout more because of how they look and where we find them. Big fall fish seem to pull just as hard if not harder so she does not really care if there are trout or not if we are just talking about non-natives. She knows they were raised in a hatchery in many cases and she has an age appropriate general idea of what effect they have on the stream. She talks and brings up the trips we have had for brook trout much more so than the times we have gone for the rubber bricks

I gotcha. You’re rearing your kids to enjoy brookie fishing, which is fine. I fish for brookies twice a year on two class a streams in northern central pa. I do it in between hunting that time of the year. It’s more about getting into the woods for me. They’re not hard to catch if you don’t spook them. OBVIOUSLY, they’re not hard to bring in lol 1 second. If that’s all that was available for trout fly fishing, I wouldn’t waste my time fly fishing for Native Brookies. You’re catching minnows. Thank God for the invasives!

Back