Fishing Kayaks

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

So Slay from this board let me and the lady borrow his yaks and my girl fell in love with kayaking. She's already thinking and planning trips. This is great because it gives me an excuse to pull the trigger on a pair for ourselves for next year.

I'm asking the guys who own yaks what you recommend. I've been doing research on yaks and I really like Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130.
Lots of extra storage and at 33" wide it should be very stable.
Anyone use one of these?

I really can't make any recommendation - I use two old beater sit-in yaks for paddling around with my wife. She loves 'em. These days, I'm happier fishing from a canoe. With respect to yaks, I like sit-in style but many anglers will tell you to go with a sit-on top.

An important consideration is car topping the boats. How much room do you have, roof rack design, etc. Do you need space for camping gear? This sort of thing.

You're gonna have a blast.

They good and sound good. I have had over a half dozen kayaks over the last 4 years (all big name companies) and the vibe looks like a bargain. What I have found is you really don't know how you'll like it until you're in it for a few hours minimum.
It's not like you can show up a kayak dealer and say "hey let me take that model out and I'll be back in a few hours".
It does have a lot of features that the ocean brand kayaks have (good yaks) I really liked that yak with the center console but I sold it because I looking for more of an open deck.
Anyway at that price I'd get it and if you don't like it you could sell it quick enough.

Ther are lots of nice yaks out there now,its became a big hit all over.My favorites are wilderness,Ocean and old town.Bepends what you are doing with them.Sit ons are really stable but heavy,Sit ins are lighter but harder to get in and out of and have less storage.I am sorry to say that I have never seen the perfect yak for all condtions so get something that will cover as many bases as possible Or just but one of each and theres about 20 different styles.(Melvinp ocean trident 13 angler)

come up and check out NuCanoes sal. I am a dealer now.

IF you are going to fly fish out of a kayak I would highly recommend the Old Town Predator MX. It has a large open floor and very stable to stand in that is great for fly fishing. I own this kayak and love it! Just make sure you get a new model and not one of their older models.

I have been fishing out of a kayak for about 8 yrs. here's my take:

1. If you are going to do any big water kayaking, I would strongly suggest a Sit-on-top. It is way easier to get back on if you get flipped off. For small streams/ rivers/ lakes a sit in might be ok, but I don't like them as much as far as a fishing platform goes. I have used mine form the Lehigh River to the Chesapeake Bay and off the NJ Ocean front.

2. Stability is great, but to a point. Usually the more stable the boat the slower it is. Obviously your not racing these but paddling a barge around all day is not fun.

3. Get the longest boat you can comfortably handle by yourself. I have a 14ft and it is just right for me.

4. See if you can find a place that has a demo day and see what features you like. There used to be a place in jersey that I went to and tried about 6 different boats.

I have a Heritage Redfish, which is no long made. The Old Town Predator looks nice, as do some of the Wilderness Systems and Ocean Kayak Boats.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks!

Another practical issue to consider is where will you store them (may wish to consider garage space)?

Long term exposure to sunlight is tough on rotomolded boats so you should consider a place out of the sun and be aware of length limitations.

I use a Hobie Pro Angler with Mirage drive. It's very stable and stand-up fly rodding is no problem. However it's heavy (about 140 lbs.) and would be very hard to car top.

Old Town Predator or Wilderness Systems Ride 115x

teedee wrote:
I use a Hobie Pro Angler with Mirage drive. It's very stable and stand-up fly rodding is no problem. However it's heavy (about 140 lbs.) and would be very hard to car top.

That is a nice ride. Pics of it set up?

Make sure what ever you buy has a good seat after an 8hr trip your back and butt can get pretty sore.

Sal,
If you're going to prowl the flats, you can buy or make outrigers to help with stand up stability. BMO in Marysville would be a good place to start looking. They are quite helpful and have a good selection

I have been eyeing new canoe to hold me over if I sell the drift boat before the end of this season. My wife bought me a Aquaglide Blackfoot inflatable fishing kayak a week ago. It is very handy and works well until I build my raft set up. Check it out. Stable, fits the dog, and beginner friendly.

Back