Fishing Creek Columbia county (upper stretches)

Anyone on this thread lose a Costa sunglass case? Didn't find glasses just the case.

Spent yesterday on Fishing Creek in Game Lands # 13. Fished the west branch for about a mile upstream of Shingle Mill and the east branch just below the confluence of Heberly Run (at the time I actually thought I was fishing lower Heberly but after looking at the map I'm pretty sure it was the east branch). Was a beautiful day, flows were really good and water temp in the high 50s. Caught around 25 brookies and probably missed twice that many. Definitely the biggest natives I've caught to date. Didn't see one brown the entire day. Used just one fly day long - a big bushy caddis stimulator on a size 10 or 12 hook. Was a really long day - out the door at 4am and home at 6pm with a lot of driving, hiking, biking and wet wading in between - but well worth it to have a great day on new water. Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, it was really helpful in planning my excursion.
IMG 3094
IMG 3097
IMG 3091
IMG 3107
IMG 3105
IMG 3100

Last edited:
Spent yesterday on Fishing Creek in Game Lands # 13. Fished the west branch for about a mile upstream of Shingle Mill and the east branch just below the confluence of Heberly Run (at the time I actually thought I was fishing lower Heberly but after looking at the map it was the east branch). Was a beautiful day, flows were really good and water temp in the high 50s. Caught around 25 brookies and probably missed twice that many. Definitely the biggest natives I've caught to date. Didn't see one brown the entire day. Used just one fly the entire day - a big bushy caddis stimulator on a size 10 or 12 hook. Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, it was really helpful in planning my excursion.View attachment 1641231680View attachment 1641231681View attachment 1641231682View attachment 1641231683View attachment 1641231684View attachment 1641231685
Awesome!

Spent yesterday on Fishing Creek in Game Lands # 13. Fished the west branch for about a mile upstream of Shingle Mill and the east branch just below the confluence of Heberly Run (at the time I actually thought I was fishing lower Heberly but after looking at the map I'm pretty sure it was the east branch). Was a beautiful day, flows were really good and water temp in the high 50s. Caught around 25 brookies and probably missed twice that many. Definitely the biggest natives I've caught to date. Didn't see one brown the entire day. Used just one fly day long - a big bushy caddis stimulator on a size 10 or 12 hook. Was a really long day - out the door at 4am and home at 6pm with a lot of driving, hiking, biking and went wading in between - but well worth it to have a great day on new water. Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, it was really helpful in planning my excursion.View attachment 1641231680View attachment 1641231681View attachment 1641231682View attachment 1641231683View attachment 1641231684View attachment 1641231685
Dang those are some good looking wild native brook trout

As someone with a cabin in that region, it is really great to read this thread!

I know most of the discussion has been focused on SGL region, but I think you can make a case to stop stocking Fishing Creek in the main stem all the way down to below Benton in the Orangeville area. In my years, I’ve caught countless wild browns in the main stem and taken temps in the middle of a heat wave in July of around 70 degrees. Trout were stressed, but that stream runs cold generally.

Biggest issues with Fishing Creek outside the SGLs that prevent it from taking off as a wild trout stream are stocking / reputation as a put and take stream, private clubs, and habitat issues from floods.

I grew up in Lopez, Pa which is practically in SGL 13. New to fly fishing this year. This past week decided to venture off to Sullivan Falls since I always went there to swim (well jump in and get right back out). Never thought of fishing there until recently since I’ve been getting into fishing for wild trout. Was able to get this absolute beauty right in the pool under the falls. I tried fishing the upper section of stream above the falls but as some have mentioned here there isn’t much activity there. I did work downstream from the falls a little ways and spooked a few slightly smaller fish than this one.

73108406 4801 4372 AADB EE35E6EDE097
IMG 2796

Thanks for resurecting this thread. That's a beautiful native you caught! Sullivan Branch is pretty good up to the falls, which is where I encountered some of the locals swimming my first time on that stream back around 2009 or 2010. Never fished above the falls, as I turned around and went elsewhere that day.

Plenty of options up in those Game Lands, it's such beautiful area. Glad you're getting into fly fishing and hope you have continued success!

Thanks for resurecting this thread. That's a beautiful native you caught! Sullivan Branch is pretty good up to the falls, which is where I encountered some of the locals swimming my first time on that stream back around 2009 or 2010. Never fished above the falls, as I turned around and went elsewhere that day.

Plenty of options up in those Game Lands, it's such beautiful area. Glad you're getting into fly fishing and hope you have continued success!
Yes, a very beautiful area with plenty to explore. I know I will be spending a considerable amount of time there in the near future. I have been having a great time learning on these smaller streams. Thank you for the support!

Back