Finding wild browns in western PA?

While I can't help you in that corner of PA, there are a few things I look for in general for good wild trout water.

Lately, I've focused a lot on streams that are actually somewhat flat in the far headwaters, but have a large drainage area. A stream that collects a lot of water and then gets forced through a narrow gorge downstream, however brief, is always on the top of my list. Sometimes that flat upper section can tip water temperatures up in favor of browns, though I will admit I know plenty of all-brookie streams that fit this description. As far as fishing a stream like that, I'd go right to the steepest part, as typically those sections offer the most consistent fishing.

See if you can get an aerial view or street view of the stream that was taken during summer. Does it have a wide, exposed stream bed, or does it look like it maintains good flows?

Geology is huge. It's not just limestone and freestone. Even within freestone, there are certain rock types that just make better habitat. Slate and schist are great for habitat because they fracture into big rock slabs. Idk the exact name of the rock formations, but the one time I visited McConnell's Mill I noticed that area definitely has the right rocks. Reading comments here it sounds like good groundwater flow may be the hardest ingredient to come by.

One thing to watch out for: farms/cropland directly up against the stream in the headwaters. Especially on smaller streams, one big field can cause enough silt and flash flooding to wreck a stream's trout potential. If there's a good buffer of trees along the stream, you're probably OK.

Hope something here is worth using in SW PA. These tips have served me well elsewhere.

steveo27 wrote:
When you are looking for new streams that potentially have wild browns in it, what do you look for?

I simply look for streams or stretches of streams that LOOK like trout streams. Relatively deep pools or pockets separated by faster riffles. Stay away from slow, sandy and muddy bottomed streams in general. Streams that flow through relatively heavily wooded areas are usually better bets than streams flowing through fields. The trees offer shade and stream structure is usually better due to fallen trees and less erosion.

Also, I like to do a lot of exploring in the summer when it's fairly warm and the streams are at their summertime flows. If you find a stream that looks decent in mid July and the water temps are good, chances are pretty good that there are at least some trout there.

Kev

Thanks for the tips guys. Really appreciate it.

Looking back, I should have phrased my question - "What tips can one offer when searching for wild brown streams using topo/satellite/usgs maps and other online info to narrow down potential locations?"

Sarce, thats the kinda info Ive been looking for. What you said definitely helps me understand what Im looking for.

I know when looking for brookies, I typically look for streams with a pretty good elevation change, ie streams tumbling down the side of a mountain or ridge. From what Ive seen, brown streams are usually flatter compared to brookie streams. The streams Ive caught the few wild browns in have typically been the lower end of the mountain streams where they flatten out

Maurice wrote:

Sell the house, sell the kids, sell the wife, move east. :-D

Done and done! If were only that easy...

steveo27 wrote:
Looking back, I should have phrased my question - "What tips can one offer when searching for wild brown streams using topo/satellite/usgs maps and other online info to narrow down potential locations?"

Well, you can easily tell how heavily forested an area is by looking at satellite images. You can also get an idea of the terrain by using google earth or topo maps. Bing maps also has very detailed aerial photos for much of this part of the state. Look for streams that are in narrow wooded valleys. Streams that flow through wide open flat areas for a long ways or even through swampy areas probably aren't going to be as promising, although they can still turn up trout if they have areas of good habitat.

Kev

Don't listen to Maurice, he hasn't lived here since route 43 and rt 22 were even started.

Ive caught wilds with him in the Laurel Highlands- I show him spots and He puts me to work on some lil Trib in York co on a stream improvement. Still have'nt seen the pictures.

acristickid wrote:
Don't listen to Maurice, he hasn't lived here since route 43 and rt 22 were even started.

Ive caught wilds with him in the Laurel Highlands- I show him spots and He puts me to work on some lil Trib in York co on a stream improvement. Still have'nt seen the pictures.

Which BTW is full of wild trout...Place looks like a jungle thanks to you...

Attachments

• NB PhaseII Planting 20101.JPG
    NB PhaseII Planting 20101.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 14
  • NB PhaseII Planting 20102.JPG
    NB PhaseII Planting 20102.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 16
  • NB PhaseII Planting 20103.JPG
    NB PhaseII Planting 20103.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 13
  • NB PhaseII Planting 20104.JPG
    NB PhaseII Planting 20104.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 13
  • NB PhaseII Planting 20105.JPG
    NB PhaseII Planting 20105.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 13
  • NB PhaseII Planting 20106.JPG
    NB PhaseII Planting 20106.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 12
You can take Maurice out of SWPA but you can't take the yinzer accent out of Maurice.

No doubt turkey.

I don't even cut grass but somehow I don't mind doing stream work. Can't believe that was 6 years ago.

Hooray for wild trout.

Not spot burning,but creeks that flow into the Clarion or Allegheny Rivers would be worth a look. GG

Bringin this back up. Im still struggling. Ive been fishing streams that are either above stocked water or are tributaries to stocked waters. Still not havin much luck. Seems like every fish I catch is a gemmie.

Last weekend, I fished a few streams that drain into either Tionesta creek or drain into creeks stocked with browns that eventually flow in Tionesta Creek in ANF. All gemmies.

Any more suggestions?

steveo27 wrote:

Last weekend, I fished a few streams that drain into either Tionesta creek or drain into creeks stocked with browns that eventually flow in Tionesta Creek in ANF. All gemmies.

Any more suggestions?

Go a short way west for more browns.

If you live in northern westmoreland county you can't be more than half an hour from two phenomenal wild brown streams that I fish. I hit it once per year and have never had anything less than spectacular days on both streams. It took me years to find them, and I still have not ever seen anything written about them online or in any media publication. It just took hundreds of days on the water to find them. I will give you one other free tidbit though, Cathers Run in Clarion county has wild browns and stockers and native brook trout. Nothing like the two streams very near to your home that I mentioned though.

fayettenamese wrote: I will give you one other free tidbit though, Cathers Run in Clarion county has wild browns and stockers and native brook trout.

Thanks for the tip. Cathers Run is actually one of my favorite summer native brookie streams. Ive fished it countless time but Ive never come across any wild browns in it. Im gonna have to give it another go with a different technique.

Also, sent ya a PM.

Re-read my post #14 in this thread.

East of the Allegheny, the streams you're talking about, DO have the very occasional wild brown. Virtually all have some and some have more than others, to the point that you might actually catch 1 or 2 every couple of trips. But still, you're talking about an area that is mostly brookies, not browns.

Get west of the Allegheny. Oil Creek/Brokenstraw Creek tribs for streams that are primarily brown trout. Caldwell/Pine is a good example of such a drainage. Some areas with stocked fish and the occasional wild brown, other areas unstocked with a lot of wild browns. But you won't catch wild brookies....

If you wanna catch brown trout, visit brown trout streams.

Back