Favorite sulphur emerger and dry patterns

• Thread starter Roofin' Trouter
  • Start date
R

Roofin' Trouter

I learned dry fly basics about 30 years ago. The " Lady Beaverkill" pattern was what I was taught to match the sulphurs. And if that didn't work then try a Light Cahill. I found the West Branch Sulphur pattern and had success with that last year on a few cricks. But ,after getting good advice from "youse guys" with favorite Caddis patterns, I figured input from other PA fly fishers will help.
What are your favorite patterns for fishing " the sulphur"?

The last few years I have had great success with a simple parachute pattern. I tie it with coastal/texas deer hair for the post. This is really durable and looks great on the water. When you are fishing sulfurs, a fly that can take some abuse and still float is key. To me anything with CDC is a poor choice for dries for the sulfur hatch. Changing flies in the dark sucks. A fly that can be washed off, treated and shaken out is the best. This basic tie has become my go-to pattern with all mayflies, not just sulfurs.

I've had very good luck with Comparaduns.
+2 for Comparaduns. I tie those in both deer hair and CDC variations. I like to carry several different styles to account for different stream types (mountain frestoners or limestone spring creeks), and easy/opportunistic vs. picky/selective fish.

Comparaduns with antron shuck with wings splayed out to a degree. But I also tie dedicated spinners for the last moments of light in the day.
0F96DBB8 8F84 4197 838E A19DC516994D

If that's poly yarn standing up like that, I'm buying the wrong poly yarn..
Standing up? Looks like it's laid flat out on each side exactly like poly yarn does on my spinners......it just doesn't  look like poly yarn.

Maybe I'm wrong..

Just meant "standing up" as in staying... er... erect...

The poly yarn I have has a bit of ED compared to those long wings.

Roofin's suggestion of EP trigger seems possible?

Standing up? Looks like it's laid flat out on each side exactly like poly yarn does on my spinners......it just doesn't  look like poly yarn.

Maybe I'm wrong..
It looks like Hareline Sparkle Emerger Yarn (Antron) to me. It could be EP Trigger too. Either way, nice ties.

Last edited:
What are your wings on those spinners? They aren't poly yarn are they......

I like em. Nice ties Fish Sticks.
Is that EP Fiber wing material?
Thank you for all the suggestions.
Thanks! Those are frosty fish fibers by DNA. They bend when you cast so your 5x doesn’t have to deal with the wind resistance and fall in a pile(when you don’t want it to, often I do)

Henry Ramsay told me about em he uses them in his commercial stuff

Henry Ramsey's book Matching Major Eastern Hatches goes into detail tying spinner patterns with DNA fibers.

Henry Ramsey's book Matching Major Eastern Hatches goes into detail tying spinner patterns with DNA fibers.
Love that book, i have it. I really like his emergers and his slate drake nymph

That's also a lovely tie.
Takes a let less time for me than using mallard flank les and tail because of feather positioning. Sometimes will mix black and gold antron on les as well

Back