Favorite sulphur emerger and dry patterns

• Thread starter Roofin' Trouter
  • Start date
The DNA was discontinued several years back. I got some in a bargain bin for 2.15 or half price. Depending on its translucency super hair, mirror flash or fishair may be a good substitute. They may be discontinued also as it is difficult to keep up with the synthetic offerings. I am sure there are others. Just look for something similar that is translucent and slightly stiff to prevent wing collapse. You can always use trigger point fibers which work well also. One thing .... spinners tied with DNA sit very flush to the water and can be difficult to see .... at least for me.

Last edited:
Organza is similar to DNA but a little finer and softer. Usually found cheaply at craft stores too

I need to take a trip to craft store for fly tying materials. Have not in years.I am going to try to find that article about craft store discount fly tying stuff someone posyed a while back l, make a list, and go nuts

I need to take a trip to craft store for fly tying materials. Have not in years.I am going to try to find that article about craft store discount fly tying stuff someone posyed a while back l, make a list, and go nuts
Would be interested to see what you turn up. I tried this on a whim last time I was at a Joann Fabrics getting fabric for holiday gifts, but I found I was way unprepared to know what to look for. Gave up after a couple minutes of looking at weird, short craft furs.

Would be interested to see what you turn up. I tried this on a whim last time I was at a Joann Fabrics getting fabric for holiday gifts, but I found I was way unprepared to know what to look for. Gave up after a couple minutes of looking at weird, short craft furs.
I will make a separate post abiut what I turn up. I estimate foam will be a cheap goldmine there compared to fly shop pricesfor my mass production of the Mr. Wiggles fly and green bay packer fly this summer. Also bead chain eyes for damsels i am hoping to find cheap. Synthetics for sure like short craft fur for dubbing/brushes loops to spin collars on wets and streamers. Cheap Yarns for woven stonefly nymphs I hope we will see

Organza is similar to DNA but a little finer and softer. Usually found cheaply at craft stores too
If you but a sheet of organza and separate the fibers, I think you will get a similar wing.

I’ve only fished sulphur hatches on limestones, Spring Creek, Yellow Creek(Bedford County) ,Spruce Creek and the Little J. I use Dan Shields Dark Sulphur Nymph. For an emerger, I use a pattern by Les Maynard out of New York. It was in an article in The Mid Atlantic Fishing Guide from nearly thirty years ago. You can adapt this emerger pattern to all mayflies. I use Antron yarn for the tail and muskrat fur or gray rabbit from a Zonker strip for the wing. For dries, I use parachutes and comparaduns. Note that I use orange fur behind the eye of the hook. This comes from an Ed Shenk pattern. George Harvey also used orange hackle in his. For the body on both the emerger and dun, I use Jack Michievic’s Pale Morning Dun dubbing.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 83
As per DrJ 1952's post above, Ed Shenk's pattern with the hackle wrapped over a bright orange thorax has always been a favorite of mine.

Another way to get that hot spot effect at the thorax is to dub with fluorescent hot orange thread. Sometimes I get lazy and just use that same thread for the whole fly. At dusk, there is more UV than visible light, and the fluorescence helps pop the visibility, even for the angler. No need to recharge with fluorescents, as you have to with the UV activate glow products.

Waay out here, in West Wisconsin, our sulfurs are often green, though they will take the standard yellow, or orange. Comparaduns and sparkle duns are the best deal in fishing. Cheap and fast to tie, and kick-*** on the water. Partridge and yellow soft hackle will suffice, until they get on top.

Back