Favorite Place?

csoult

csoult

Let us hear about your favorite place to fish, or maybe you've only fished it once. Tell us why. You don't have to get into specifics on location if you don't want. But everyone has one.

I've been to Alaska(Yakutat) twice, and loved it even though you really have to be prepared for mosquito's and rain everyday.

I know how to do that. It is very unnerving and intense sharing a river with brown bears. These are huge and hungry animals. I was totally C&R on those trips. I didn't want to smell like a meal to those bears. Besides, the lodge where we stayed got fresh seafood everyday.

My parents live in Aspen, Colorado. I can walk to the Roaring Fork River when I visit them and the Frying Pan River trophy water is a short drive down the valley. I don't ski any more since the Frying Pan fishes so well year round. I haven't caught a > 10 lb. trout but I know that they are there. I know that I have hooked some big trout that I have failed to land.

Here in PA, I learned how to fly fish at a R&G club in the western Poconos that my grandfather belonged to(helped found) and my father belongs to. One day I will be the member there. I like it there and have many boyhood memories fishing that stream. I plan on keeping the family tradition.

It's a toss up between the upper east of the delaware, or the narrows in lamar. Completely different waters, but that's what makes it hard to choose. I love fishing both though, but the narrows may get the edge because of how close it is and I can fish there anytime which is definately a plus.

Hard choice...but....Chittennago

Three way tie between the Yellow Breeches, Big Spring, and Falling Spring.

Spring Creek, Big Fishing Creek (Clinton Co.) and one that shall remain nameless plus Eleven Mile Canyon on the South Platte River, Colorado.

A single favorite place?
Tough call - so many apples and oranges to compare. A broad list for me would be:

-Cumberland Valley: Breeches, Letort, Big Spring etc.

- Juniata River

- Island Beach State Park in NJ

-Islamorada FL

There is more to this than a watershed or even a country.

I think it relates to that place where you pause and say, I've arrived.

I have had that moment on Slate run on a sandy point bar full of buttercups and goldenrod during a yellow sally hatch. I sat on a log mesmerized by the spectacle until startled by my brother asking "what the hell are ya doing man?"

Also several spots on my home water at Muddy Creek in the spring or fall when the wildflowers and fall foliage is at peak.

Penns valley anytime with friends for its remoteness.

But to be specific...lay me down anywhere where there is sandstone, hemlocks and ferns. I'll find the water in the am. And it will be perfect.

Best fishing I've ever had, was on the bighorn river during the '90's.
Fish that averaged between 15 and 20 inches rising all day long.
Started things out in early morning with trico duns - switching over to spinners around 9 pm.
They would be on the water until early afternoon, say 1 - 2 pm. Then, just as the spinners were winding down, the black caddis came on - and went until dark. Pretty amazing stuff. I remember walking out after dark, with my arms aching from landing nice fish all day.

As for PA - my nod would go to the Hendrickson hatch on the Delaware river. Fishing duns from early afternoon until evening. Then switching over to spinners until dark. Lots of big gulpers for most of the day

Maurice wrote:
lay me down anywhere where there is sandstone, hemlocks and ferns. I'll find the water in the am. And it will be perfect.

Nailed it :pint:

My favorite place has to be Allegheny National Forest. Its my "get away" place. Pack the truck and head up after work Friday, camp & fish all weekend. All my worries and cares melt away until Monday. The fishing isnt the best and there arent prolific hatches, but its one place Ive found I can just disappear to for a weekend and leave the hustle and bustle of the real world behind. Theres miles and miles of one lane dirt roads, countless campsites, and tons of water with little hungry gemmies.

Shenandoah Valley. Mossy Creek, Smith Creek, Beaver Creek.

a little creek in the mountains of Wyoming, just off the beartooth highway. a little 6 site campground sits beside it. Everytime I go there, I get the tent set up, string up my rod, head over to the creek, which is a giant cascade of pocket water, catch a few fish, then sit on a rock, crack a beer, look around at the mountains, and smile, because I'm back in my favorite place. The fish aren't big, the creek isn't famous, but that's ok with me, because I've never seen anyone else camping or fishing there.

I want to go to bikerfishs' place! I like any area where nobody else is around.

PA: Penns Creek
Not PA: Missouri River

I could spend a lifetime on either and be happy if I never fished another place.

Ha! I bet I've fished that creek biker. I didn't spend much time on it though. I was young and seeing a few brown bear really put a caution/fear in me!

A couple thousand words....
2013LetrotSpring2-L.jpg

2016TuscaroraStateForest3-L.jpg

Pa. the letort --
not Pa.-- a bend on the Missouri river between Toston dam and the town of Townsend--carp and sucker water most of the year [too hot] but from the first couple of frosts to feb. if you didn't catch at least one wall fish[4pds or better according to Baileys] it was a really bad day.caught as many as 5--tried many times to steer others to it after I went flatlander but when I asked if they hit it,it was always-Nah--didn't get to it etc. etc...
You can imagine what someone with thirty years experience living and fly fishing Montana thought.lol

The tri-basin divide area in the Bridger-Teton National Forest Wyoming.

Here- the WB Delaware on one of those magic nights when the bugs are on the water and the fish are eating them.

Away-Soda Butte Creek in YNP. One of those places where you can usually catch one good sized cutt after another while having to watch out for bison as well as bears!

I don't think I have a favorite place to fish, but if I did it would most likely be somewhere in the Northern Rockies in the spring, summer, or fall. In the winter somewhere in Florida or California.

Back