Fall surf reports

I think the cap to seal the drag broke. the o ring to keep the spool in place came loose and I think I lost the ball bearing that the shaft goes into. contacted them still waiting to hear back.

so yes it's lamson? I have an older velocity that is rock solid AFTER they replaced the BB with a stainless steel one. But I have been hearing of some failures recently.

wow. 33" thats a helluva fish on a fly rod - beats my biggest of 31" ,

well done ! i bet you'll remember that one for a while....

I gotta go back up to Boston tomorow - away from the fish. which sucks.

Yea a konic. I got in touch with them and they sent out a new bearing and cap today no cost. Honestly I'm really happy with the reel. The drag is great. I wish I was a guru for weight reasons but it's still a great affordable reel.It's about three year and has held up till last night. Their customer service is at the top IMO.

Marc

yes, they took really good care of me and upgraded some parts no extra charge. I was really happy, and the real has been flawless since. gets abused in my kayak in VA a few times a year.

So where is the fall run? It seems dead! I know it is early yet, but areas to the north should be lighting up.

id say this week it should bring some fish down but the majority of the fish are still north. jersey usually gets their peak in mid November. water is getting into the sweet spot. there is bait around but not anything crazy. I think this calm weather is putting fishing on hold to. there are fish down there just need to work for them.

marc

That fish Marc caught was real, real nice. Got it in some skinny water too. It was insane when he handed me the rod and reel! I was doing everything i could to keep tension on the line with one hand and hold the broken reel and the rod in the other!! We all laughed our asses off though once he landed the fish by hand lining it in!

He and I have been hitting surf hard since September and its starting to pay off finally. I agree with Marc - the run hasn't even started yet. Still big schools of fish in the NE area. The water in NJ is about perfect right now. I think the run is right around the corner, especially after this front blows through on Friday.

I'm fine though with everyone giving up thinking the run isn't happening... Leaves more beach and jetties to fish
;-)

Anyone been down lately? Reports are sounding much better

its been dead out there until today. some good reports just started coming in. the past weeks has been dead. went last thurs and sat. got some rats thurs and sat was a mess. 8 to 10 foot waves and the back really dirty. hopefully some more fish shown soon I am getting tiered of this waiting game.

Going down sunday if anyone around Philly/Abington area is interested.

I'm up for anything. But would like to fish the incoming tide, which wll be around 12:45pm depending on where.

I'm game give me some details

The boat anglers at Sandy Hook have been crushing the legal size stripers this week. It started last Saturday. Makes one wonder what the complaints have been about by some anglers along parts of the coast. Yes, the number legal size stripers is down from the peak according to biological data, but there are still plenty to be caught. If the groups of fish that were just off-shore this week come closer to the shoreline, the complaints will suddenly stop.

Mike wrote:
If the groups of fish that were just off-shore this week come closer to the shoreline, the complaints will suddenly stop.

We can hope - especially next weekend! :)

that' ll be sporty.

FWIW I fished last Saturday ( NOV 2). Caught quite a few shad at false hook, no bass, no blues. 1 fluke. No one else caught anything off the beach either, except shad. the boats looked to be working in the same general area, which is a good sign they were on something. We drove all the way to Deal and found nothing.

marcq wrote:
wind is west at 22 sunday.

That sounds like a good time right there

I am heading down tomorrow night. probably a mix of fly and might try slinging some snakes.

Back