Fall surf reports

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131001/NEWS08/310010091/Environmental-groups-sue-Del-NJ-over-fish-kills

got out today. conditions were not the best besides for the fog and clouds. tides were not great and wind was not the best. I wanted to do some exploring in some of the areas the I have been fishing. got there at dead low tide around 2. check out the beach for a little then moved to a spot I found on google maps that looked good. took about five minutes till I got into my first fish. first blue went about 20 the second 22. probably should of put a steel leader on but lost the third. then the incoming tide forced me to move. all in all a good day found some new water and caught some fish cant ask for more.

marc

Nice job Marc - thanks for some motivation.

That blue looks like something chomped his tail.

My buddy was bleeding it so that's why the tail was like that. Pretty much the only fish I would give to someone to keep. My theory is keep a blue save a striper.

I was also at IBSP earlier in the week no fishing just checking things out. Tons of bait in the bay. Wouldn't go this week cause there is a torny.

Once this warm weather breaks, a week or two after we will be getting into some nice fish.

I checked out the watch hill RI reports and few big bass showing yet up there. Albies were very spotty. Karen is expected to bring em in from offshore then that game should be on.

Once again the cape cod shore fishing has been dire for bass. Boat fishing has been okay for many.

I'd say two weeks at least for us. Bring on the crappy weather.

I love this crappy weather. its bring more fish in by the day. yea two weeks the run will start in force but there are fish around just need to fish at night or morning. the bait is still in the bay so that where I will focus my attention.

grampys, Freds and Betty's all reporting good numbers of keeper stripers taken on teasers, slim metals and eels yesterday.

sandeel flies would be the way to go i think.

What are grampys and Freds? If they are fishing reports, where can they be found?

He means Grumpy's and betty and Nicks B & T

yes sorry :

Grumpys tackle :

http://www.grumpystackle.com/fishing_reports.cfm

Fisherman Freds Tackle :

http://www.fishermanfreds.com/report.html

Betty and Nicks B&T :

http://www.bettyandnicks.com/fish.shtml

these are honest reliable reports imho.

fished the pasted two night. sat night got down around 8pm. fished in the back up in north jersey. my one buddy picked up a shad then moved to the ocean. was with two spin fishing guy and another guy fly fishing with me. one of the spin guys picked up a bass on his second cast. then it was like every other cast. mostly shorts. m buddy adam who was fly fishing to picked up two bass. I had one good hit couldn't get tight on the line. my other friend who was spin fishing caught two real nice weakies. like 23 inches. was pretty pissed but that's fishing. they were on sand eels.

sunday was like a lake with a full moon. sucked. nothing I knew it once I got out of the car and looked at the water. not one cloud in the sky. after reading reports it seemed everyone was struggling last night.

marc

moonlit nights can be very good if you can find the bait and some current - especially in the spring.

in the fall, the outflow of creeks, jetties and out front in the surf can be outstanding when there's bait around - if the fish are there, you'll hear them before you see them.

a small rolling surf of 1-2 feet on a moonlit night is perfect for bass to lazily work the first wave and the backwash for bait, but the trick is find them when they are not schooled up yet.

being mobile is the key, take a long slow walk on the beach and listen and smell for everything as well as listen well. i'll sometimes walk two to three miles but stop and make a cast here and there occasionally, sometimes you just get a feeling.

sometimes its just one fish or two or three, but they could be 40" plus easy.

a good indicator can also be a small flock of gulls or terns sitting doing nothing. if they're out on a moonlit night rather than napping they know something - bait was or is nearby.

its one of my favourite times to fish - you don't need a headlamp (you shouldn't use one anyway) and very few people are out.

personally I have to disagree respectfully. IMHO the worse the weather the better. I like the wind to be 10 to 15 ill still go out if its anything under 25 and yes I am fly fishing. big waves and high wind make fish feed actively. I also love the rain and so do fish. like sat night wind was like 10 with some heavy rain the fish were on and active right around the storm. last night clear and calm nothing.

I think the fish just get picky. they can see the line and can tell it not what hey usually eat. not saying you cant catch fish is just harder. id focus more time in the back then on the beach.

I feel that guys who fear the wind are making mistakes. its the best time to fish and the fish are usually on the beach actively feeding. this is why you need a 10, 11 and even 12's.

bad weather = big fish !
when the beach gets churned up the stripers are in hunting best time to hit them. I agree with marcq on this. been chasin them for over 40 years and fishing a good noreaster is the best time. Now for blues they tend to like cleaner water. This bad weather is where a 10, 11, or 12 wt. comes into play with large water pushing flies. but is the best time to get a 30 lb+ fish. I'll throw 12 in. flies for stripers at that time and a school bus yellow in color is my favorite.

oh i agree, an onshore blow is definitely the best fall fishing - i was just saying that when the wind lays down flat i'd walk the outside beaches rather than working out in the back.

Sandfly, i like yellow too :

900x900px-LL-69535375_Herring_Bugs_001.jpg

and this is the result sometimes :

900x900px-LL-68e941f5_P6050003.jpeg

GB

nice fly...flatwings?

thanks. Yeah. i use the underfur dubbed as a pillow to 'raise' the long hackles.

i call em Herring Bugs cos the heads are made with Bug Bond.

switch out the long herl for a blue or chartreuse grizzle hackle and i call it a Mack Bug.

about 9" long.

Got out for a late night tossing the long rod. Started in the back with nothing to show. Some bait back there but no fish. Moved out to the surf. Threw from the surf for a little then moved to the jetties. About ten cast in hook into a solid fish. Took me into my backing. Gained half my main line onto the reel. Then the reel went. Spool popped off handed the rod to by buddy Adam and hand lined it in.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104478415@N05/10452984493/in/photostream/

33 inches took a clouser about 3 inches long. My buddy Adam got a 20+ weakie. Fish are here just got to get down.

Marc

first one didn't work. here is the fish

nice fish. gotta love clousers. what reel did it trash? looks like a lamson.

Back