Fall Striper run Successful/Unsuccessful thread

johnw wrote:
I'm fortunate to live 10-15 minutes from the beach and it's still difficult to be at the right place at the right time unless you fish every day. Managed to hit it right yesterday and caught a bunch up to about 24 inches. That follows about 8 trips that resulted in a skunking. This time of year, early morning is best.

BINGO! Surf fishing is the biggest crap shoot in fishing. It requires lots of time on the beach, lots of skunking and lots of one fish days. Catch it on the right day at the right time and you can catch dozens. Much easier on a boat where you can troll them up rather easily after finding them. My work schedule did not permit me much time this fall but I find November on the beach to be very enjoyable fish or no fish.

It's the same fishing for them on the river. This past spring I went out about 8 times. Five days we caught nothing other then a few catfish and SMB, one day we caught one, one day we caught three and one day we caught 22 all in the mid 20 to 28" range. Nothing big but catching 22 in about 3 hours was a hoot.

Nothing replaces being out there. You can't catch them when they are not around but when they are around they are very easily fooled.

RAFTMAN - spring is when they come into the bays and head up rivers. They leave the river by early summer. In the fall they are in the ocean heading to more comfortable water. They will come up into the bays chasing baitfish but by and large they are not hanging out there. Some stripers will remain in the river system for a year or so before returning but these are few and generally small.

Betty & Nick's Report:
12/10/18 UPDATED 7:13 AM Well I think we have hit a crossroads here now where because they only got a few fish this weekend, and it's cold, we aren't going to see a lot of participation and info will be very tough the acquire. I will do my best to keep things updated and interesting. If I hear anything at all, I will let you know.

Attachments

• the fat lady sang....jpg
    the fat lady sang....jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 3
Guys fishing at night are still finding some size.

Back