Fall Striper run Successful/Unsuccessful thread

5EB6C9AC624440F48CC3.png

477EADCBC6324F4A83D3.jpeg

Consistent pick of fish stripers and shad sand eels were the bait of choice

Latest NNJ fishing report >

https://www.onthewater.com/fishing-reports/2018/11/northern-new-jersey-fishing-report-november-15-2018

886388ED9C6C48979060.png

Reliable sandeel bite is in full swing North of LBI for fish in the 24-29" range. Not a lot of keepers, but some here and there.

Sure. I have heard that before, took a day off from work, headed to the hot spot, and did not see anything but the seagulls eating french fries . . .

CLSports wrote:
Sure. I have heard that before, took a day off from work, headed to the hot spot, and did not see anything but the seagulls eating french fries . . .

Most of time when you hear about a good bite its already over unless you get a call when its happening , but if your lucky the bite moved south some and not off shore .

I didn't land any keepers but I had a successful fall this year on stripers no blues or Albies though .

Fredrick wrote:
CLSports wrote:

Most of time when you hear about a good bite its already over unless you get a call when its happening , but if your lucky the bite moved south some and not off shore .

I didn't land any keepers but I had a successful fall this year on stripers no blues or Albies though .

Fred is right about the reports, but the NNJ shops still say things are happening >

http://www.betty-n-nicks.com/fish.shtml

http://www.grumpystacklenj.com/category/fishing-report/

If anyone was thinking about hitting the NJ surf, now would be the time, although the weather and wind direction looks a little crazy this weekend at the shore.

Anyway, congrats to Fred....the "shorts" he caught from the surf are probably bigger than most freshwater fish that anyone ever catches. And the idea, for most anyway, is to have fun and not just worry about bringing home the meat.

It is tough for us PA boys to react to a good report in time. If you are there a few days and are willing to cover a lot of shoreline by driving from town to town and walking the shoreline (or driving on IBSP) looking for feeding fish close enough to cast to then you just may hit it right. I love going down there, but I just have grown a little tired of casting to the vast empty water. I never seem to hit it right . . .

CLSports wrote:
It is tough for us PA boys to react to a good report in time. If you are there a few days and are willing to cover a lot of shoreline by driving from town to town and walking the shoreline (or driving on IBSP) looking for feeding fish close enough to cast to then you just may hit it right. I love going down there, but I just have grown a little tired of casting to the vast empty water. I never seem to hit it right . . .

^ No doubt....that's pretty much my experience too.

Fun, but a lot more skunks than chunks.

Plus it's a long ride and money spent on gas and/or overnites.

But when you hit it right, there's nothing like it.

Good luck to all.

I'm fortunate to live 10-15 minutes from the beach and it's still difficult to be at the right place at the right time unless you fish every day. Managed to hit it right yesterday and caught a bunch up to about 24 inches. That follows about 8 trips that resulted in a skunking. This time of year, early morning is best.

The sandeel bite is almost entirely a dawn or dusk game for the shorebound fisherman. At dawn, the sandeels rise from the sand and congregate on the surface before heading away from shore for the day, then they return at dusk and burrow back into the sand near the shore for the night. That is why the needlefish fished deep is such a killer in the evenings and the teasers do so well in the mornings. Point being, fish higher in the water column at dawn and use a clouser-type at dusk to mimic the sandeel going back to the sand.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
The sandeel bite is almost entirely a dawn or dusk game for the shorebound fisherman. At dawn, the sandeels rise from the sand and congregate on the surface before heading away from shore for the day, then they return at dusk and burrow back into the sand near the shore for the night. That is why the needlefish fished deep is such a killer in the evenings and the teasers do so well in the mornings. Point being, fish higher in the water column at dawn and use a clouser-type at dusk to mimic the sandeel going back to the sand.

What he said! Although besides the sand eels, I saw shad and rainbait in Ocean County on Friday. Steady pick, even mid-day, on an yellow over white half and half, most in the 20 to 24 inch range. Delivered, however, in front of a T-Hex on a spinning rod :oops:

20181130_134327.jpg

Just Saying :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDSqODtEFM

Nymph-wristed wrote:
SurfCowboyXX wrote:

What he said! Although besides the sand eels, I saw shad and rainbait in Ocean County on Friday. Steady pick, even mid-day, on an yellow over white half and half, most in the 20 to 24 inch range. Delivered, however, in front of a T-Hex on a spinning rod :oops:

20181130_134327.jpg

I know, Fred! But I am not fishing over redds right now, at least ;-)

Nymph-wristed wrote:

Good point I haven't fished for wild trout since the first week in November . Not to hijack my own thread but how long till you think its ok to target wild trout . Asking for a friend lol

Fredrick wrote:
Nymph-wristed wrote:

Good point I haven't fished for wild trout since the first week in November . Not to hijack my own thread but how long till you think its ok to target wild trout . Asking for a friend lol

Tell your friend to chase stockies like me, at least another month... Honestly, once the rats leave the surf, and rifles leave the SGLs, I am back to trout, wild or otherwise.

Loads of shorts in the surf yesterday. Surf extremely rough and the fish well off the beach not conducive to fly fishing. Most fish I caught were at the end of a long cast with a spinning rod.

Hey.... I've never fished for stripers before but would love to How is the fishing below the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna? Would this time of year be a good time to explore down that way?

Back