Fall stocking schedule

J

jgish92

Does anybody know when the fall stocking schedule will be released? Or if it has been released, where I can find it? I haven't seen anything and since we're not too far from Labor Day, it seems like it should be out.

jgish92 wrote:
Does anybody know when the fall stocking schedule will be released? Or if it has been released, where I can find it? I haven't seen anything and since we're not too far from Labor Day, it seems like it should be out.

The PFBC site has the fall trout stocking schedule here.

Thank you! I had been checking on the PAFBC app and even just now, it doesn't load.

Is anyone able to access the regular stocking schedule on the PFBC website yet? It keeps giving me an error and it has for months? What is up with that? And thanks Tom. That link to the fall list is helpful. It doesn't really matter as I don't fish fall stocked waters but I always like to look.

jifigz wrote:
Is anyone able to access the regular stocking schedule on the PFBC website yet? It keeps giving me an error and it has for months? What is up with that? And thanks Tom. That link to the fall list is helpful. It doesn't really matter as I don't fish fall stocked waters but I always like to look.

I haven't checked in awhile, but their Warm Water/Coolwater stocking schedule was not working for months (at least for me). I follow muskellunge stocking closely.

I notified the PFBC about this earlier this year and did not receive a response.

If you want to know something about stocking history, do it the old fashioned way; call the AFM. If you want info on the fall stocking schedule, call either the appropriate regional Law Enforcement Office or the AFM.

The stocking schedule isn't working on the Fish Commission App. If you go to the Stocking section of the Fish Commission website there is a message that says, "Currently certain functions of this website and the PFBC mobile app may be unavailable. The potential affected features are the event calendar, maps, and stocking schedules. We are working diligently to restore these features and deeply apologize for the inconvenience." Below that there are links to the fall and full year trout stocking schedules in the form of PDFs.

The link worked for me.

Link worked for me as well. Interesting ... doesn't appear there will be a Fall stocking for McMichael Creek.

The "new" (it's been some years) PFBC website, although aligned with other state agencies with regard to format. . . has been a real disappointment.

The old website worked better and was easier to use, at least for me. I prefer a more traditional interface and am not interested in a format more accessible to social media, as I suspect many of the state's anglers - older and traditional like myself - probably feel. I know we need to connect with the youth, but social media should not be front and center.

(okay Afish, go ahead and post the old man yells at cloud pic) :)

Anyway, this thread is about the stocking schedule and I didn't intend to deflect it into a broader gripe about the website. However, I think the poor performance of the stocking pages reflects a component of the overall new website. The stocking pages always worked for me on the old site (and don't even get me started about Biologists' Reports).

What's a Biologist report??

There has been a few times I tried to find some info on the PFBC website and just gave up.
I agree, the format is terrible

PennypackFlyer wrote:

The PFBC has a team of biologists usually referred to as Area Fisheries Managers. These biologists and their staff go out every year and survey the population of fishes in our lakes and streams. They do this with electric current or nets. They count the fish and release them.

The resulting data provides the best look at how many fish and what sizes are prevalent in the body of water. It's highly valuable information for anglers and allows us to see changes over time in the fish populations. These reports are accessible on the PFBC website: go to the upper right corner and click on "Locate" - scroll down to Biologists' Reports and you can bring up a map and view population data for different lakes and streams.

Dave_W wrote:
PennypackFlyer wrote:

The PFBC has a team of biologists usually referred to as Area Fisheries Managers. These biologists and their staff go out every year and survey the population of fishes in our lakes and streams. They do this with electric current or nets. They count the fish and release them.

The resulting data provides the best look at how many fish and what sizes are prevalent in the body of water. It's highly valuable information for anglers and allows us to see changes over time in the fish populations. These reports are accessible on the PFBC website: go to the upper right corner and click on "Locate" - scroll down to Biologists' Reports and you can bring up a map and view population data for different lakes and streams.

True ^

Here is a link to Biologist Reports menu from the PFBC site.

Check out the map and/or the lists of reports in each area of the state. Note the reports listed are 5,10 and even 20 years old. You are hard-pressed to find any report listed in the last 3 or 4 years. The PFBC has to do better than this IMO.

For years anglers have awaited the results of Susquehanna River smallmouth population data (both YOY and adult surveys) since the population decline in 2005. Nothing for three years. Not acceptable. Our license dollars are spent to do these important surveys and it's and obligation of the PFBC to disseminate this info to the anglers of PA.

Finally, I agree the entire PFBC site is a mess. Not user friendly, disappearing map data and features and impossible to search for any useful data for any serous angler.........D- grade!!!!

Mike,

Any idea why little Mahoning in Rochester mills is no longer getting fall stockings

thanks,
Tom

I checked one region’s reports. Reporting listed started in 2000. The four year period that was mentioned in this thread, 2017-2020, was 20% of the available reporting time. Fourteen percent of that region’s reports published on the web site were written during that time period, but to be fair, some were more technical than some of the easier ones in prior years. If one is solely counting reports, however, an easy one gets the same credit in count as a more complex one, so in that regard 14% of the reports produced in 20% of the available time didn’t raise my eyebrows. Additionally, that region was down an AFM for about 1.5 yrs.

Reporting possibly slowed across the state for a while during that period as Covid may have had an impact. You may recall that for nearly one entire spring, biological staff were stocking trout rather than reporting or doing surveys upon which reports were based.

Additionally, when I was involved in reporting on the web (the Biologist Reports) I tended to choose surveys that I thought would be of greatest interest to anglers or to the most anglers. In some years there were not many surveys done on waters that would have gotten widespread interest or the most interesting surveys were ones that had already been reported upon in recent years. Generally, but not always, I tried to avoid redundancy.

As for the Susquehanna, as I have suggested to others, request a copy of the most recent report from the agency.

Per Little Little Mahoning, I have no knowledge of that stream. Ask the AFM or his staff.

Area fisheries manager

Area Fisheries Managers, the individuals in charge in each region of deciding which waters are stocked (as long as the waters qualify and as long as no administrator over-rides their decisions). That would also include whether or not a fall stocking takes place on a given water based on qualifications/suitability for the fall program (flow, for example), suitable angler usage, and available fish.

Note that trout stocked in fall are taken from the stream section or lake’s yearly allocation. So for stream sections, in effect, an AFM must rob Peter (the spring allocation) to pay Paul (the fall allocation).

As a general concluding note, a stream section’s annual allocation based on its classification may be too low to have a fall stocking program. Otherwise, even a minimum fall stocking of 300 trout would remove a substantial portion of the section’s total allocation for the year with too few fish remaining to meet the section’s needs in spring when angling pressure is much higher than in the fall.

i was surprised at the low numbers of fish released last week in the brodhead and lackawaxen ( 600 each ) thought it would be more.

Back