Fall Catskill JAM.....the final chapter 10/4-10/6

Ok, I'm heading out and will see everybody up there in s day or two. Call me if you need something or have any questions. Safe driving.

Also...it's 1140 cfs at hale eddy so they've bumped it up a tad. Still no worries and it makes the main better for floating.

I did. They are in one of the 4 rubbermaid tubs (90%) or sitting on the kitchen counter with my glasses I forgot (10%). If I did leave them in the kitchen, I'll see if my sister can forward them to the motel. If she is not able to, I'll grab some addresses and mail them out. With this oldtimers, I'm lucky to remember my rods and the dog. I have the seats out of the element and she's almost loaded to the ceiling.

The forecast looks great!

Can't wait to get there.

Attachments

• Hancock Fishing.JPG
    Hancock Fishing.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 3
I can’t make this Upper Delaware trip, I got the job.
Guys; have a great time and do many monsters landings. J.

EPIC!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5
That fits perfectly!

And it looks like it was taken at the Mirabito. LMAO.

Seriously though, a big "thank you" to each and every one of you that attended. Even though the fishing was a 2 out of 10, he camaraderie and surroundings were 10 out of 10. I hope those that made their first trip don't get fooled by the poor catching of the past couple of days. Make a trip next year between May and August and I'll show you it's better (see avatar of DaveS). The river is FILLED with fish like that. Dave K sent PAFF stickers which we got passed out to everyone. Thanks dkile and I will get you to join us one of these days.

I don't know that I've ever seen a group with such a surplus of boats. On any given day, 3-4 boats went unused but having 2 driftboats contributed to the surplus. Big thanks to stimey for bringing a driftboat and 2 man pontoon. Also, thanks to a local guide for lending his boat to the group.

I think the first time floaters came to appreciate that there's an art to positioning the boats to give you fishing opportunities. Loading, unloading, shuttling and rowing through mile long pools isn't all that much fun. The river doesn't give up its treasures without paying your dues first. If you wished you had gotten out for one more float Sunday, you didn't miss much. The wind on the main stem was cranking straight up river. Wind caused a blanket hatch of maple and beech leaves. Fishing was almost impossible.

Thank you Kray for putting the Jam together and for all the help and advice you gave to everyone involved, even Spikoli lol.
It was awesome to be there.
PS the team wearing the P won today and the yinzers didn't get rained upon

Many thanks Andy for organizing this event. We had a great time with great company and caught a few nice fish to top it off. I'll post some photos in the days to come.

Any chubs on dries?

I took a big chub on a hopper, but Beeber landed the king of the chubs. Wait till you see his photo!

Yeah I landed what had to be around a 3-4 lb fall fish that whacked a streamer on the west branch. Will get the photo up as soon as I can.

Boy what a great weekend. Summer like conditions, I brought hat and gloves because I thought it would be cold, but it was t-shirt weather. Did a short float Friday, only caught 2 giant fall fish on streamers, had a downpour/lightning last hour of light that shut down any bug activity. Sat. floated the lower West Branch and main stem. I moved a lot of fish on streamers, though most were short strikes and refusals. Saw some giant browns chase my streamer, excitement galore. Caught another giant fall fish and had a few risers last hour of light. Sunday got up early and floated the west branch again, starting in Hale Eddy. Streamers cast tight to the bank were what the fish wanted. First one was a foot long brown. Second fish was a doozy. Cast tight to the bank and before I could even strip it was fish on. This one was big, big enough to tow the pontoon boat in fact. I had heavy tippet so I had a good chance. After a good struggle a 20+ inch brown jumped and threw the streamer, he was bigger than the net and would have been really tough to land. Wow. Caught 4 or 5 on Sunday and left by 1 pm to get home while it was still light out. There was heavy fog in the poconos in the PM. What an awesome trip. Great weather, peak foliage, great scenery, great group of guys to fish with. Can't ask for much more.

The lake had turned over and that put some stain in the water which typically helps the angler. 4 days of bright sun squashed any advantage we had. We ended up getting a 20 minute flurry of bugs just before dark. Overall, the fishing was very slow.

I think Beeber took his monster chub on a streamer. It had to be 3+ pounds!

Thanks Andy for putting this together. I had a great time, met good guys, and learned a little about the Main. All in All a great time.

Sorry Sunday sucked, but I'm glad I decided to head home early based on your report. Got home around Noon and had to power washed about 2 pounds of tobacco out of the boat before I gave it back to my Dad. Glad we got some floats in.... helped to get some practice rowing the drift boat.... which I still need work on

I feel bad about the guys that made the long drive only to get "not so hot" fishing. I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching.

No need to apologize Andy. Every fisherman has to be willing to tolerate the slow times so that hopefully he is on the water for those magical times when the fish want to cooperate. Tough to predict.

FWIW, just got a report that Jeff Spicoli did nail a monster bow in the upper eb this morning. Text reads: "monster bow, over 20" and earthy". LMAO

I guess the surf is up.

Andy:

Thanks for hosting and all of the work you put into this. I had a great time and will be back. Great river and good times.

EARTHY !

Back