Fall and Winter Boxes

J

JasonC

I'm for one, glad the dog days of summer are behind us...or so let's hope. Getting into fall and winter, what are in your fly cases? Let's keep it super simple, 4 flies for each season and only 2 sizes of each. One point, I'm curious to hear what terrestrials you include and which ones get left out I the cold, see what I did there?

In Autumn I need a parachute ant and a woolly bugger. Size 16 on the and and size 6 on the bugger. Winter I'll take a zebra midge or a brassie and that same bugger. Size 18 or 20 on the midge..when it hits March, I'll add a sucker spawn to the mix.

Whatever you do don’t forget tiny winged ants for fall

I ran into some tiny brown-winged ants this week. They were about size 20 and of course I had none with me.

For the Fall I basically stick with larger EHK (12-14), PT and stoneflies as droppers.

Don't do much in the winter. Zebra midges probably, and some baetis.

For fall, I like some generic nymphs, PT will do as well as caddis pupa and larvae. For dries my most common is an ISO emerger. Buggers can do great when fish are aggressive. I like white crystal bugger w/ blue hackle or gray ghost bugger (gray tail and hackle, bright orange body, gold oval tinsel rib)

Fall through winter I always have an egg pattern - small glo bug (16 to 20) or sucker spawn.

In winter more midges, baetis nymphs (juju baetis is a good one, pt is OK), and little black stoneflies. Zebra midges are great, but I fish limestoners a lot in winter and different colors make a difference some days. Little orange caddis are good where plenty of chimarra caddis are. Dries are small olives or midges - color to match stream.

Winter streamers tend more to white or black rabbit strip leech type flies that can be fished very slowly. Have had years when an olive over cream craft fur streamer with a dark lateral line was the ticket.

Back