Evil on my screen door

J

jjsjigs

Musta had another huge hatch last night. Because when my screen door has a load of bugs on it... it was major hatch.
558305602_photobucket_13502_.jpg

A usual mixed bag of caddis and mayflies... until I look down at the bottom of the screen and see this monster!
558305602_photobucket_13499_.jpg

Evil!!! Eeeee-vil!!! Evil on my screen door.

Dear jj,

If there was a bear, a mountain lion, and a rattlesnake on my front porch I'd go outside and pet them.

If I saw that thing on my screen door I'd stay inside until the first couple of hard frosts. As a fly fisherman I find it incredibly ironic that bugs absolutely creep me out!

I remember stopping for gas one time after a full day of fishing on the Susky near Nichols, NY. There was a huge hatch of dobsons circling the gas station lights and crawling all over the pumps. They looked like Cuban cigars with wings!

I'm getting chills just thinking about them as I type this!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

can you imagine what that hatch looks like?
fish coming up after everything else, and then one of those guys shows up....and starts going after the fish.....

Ive got that beat. I almost stepped on this at work last week. Those are babies on her back.

Attachments

• babybackspider.jpg
    babybackspider.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 2
WTH is that! I know its a spider, but what kind?

Really have to laugh at this one.
I worked as a tree surgeon for a couple years right out of high school.
One day I was at the top of a tulip poplar when a bug that looked like that started hissing at me.
I think that scared me more than anything and I have stepped on rattlers and walked up on grizzlies plus totaled about a dozen cars.
memories are precious.lol

Aww come on guys, it's just a little beetle..
That spider on the other hand gives me the creeps! I was driving yesterday and noticed a very big (50 cent piece sized) spider crawling across the steering column. My attempts to prevent it from dropping on my legs predictably caused it to drop on my legs all wile travelling at highway speed in an unfamiliar place. Worst of all, I never found him. Does any one want to buy a car?

Thats awful im gettin the heeby geebys just thinkin about all those damned baby spiders. I smacked one of those spiders in my pool last summer and the babies just scattered. I was swimming in the pool too, not cleaning it while outside.

F Spiders

I don't know much about spiders and I don't know what kind that one is. Bugs don't really bother me unless I encounter them in a compromising position like Frequent in the car.

One of my best memories of bugs was at a Harrisburg Senators game years ago when I was a kid. I was 10 at most so my recollection might be a little off. The Senators baseball team plays near the river (City Island?) and as the sun went down and the stadium lights came on, a huge hatch of big duns descended on the spectators. People were freaking out and slipping on squashed mayflies. Girls had them in their hair. It looked like it was snowing bugs. I was too young to know what they were but it was a wild scene. Anyone ever experience this? Or know what kind of mayflies they might've been?

helgramites scare the crap outta me. Thank goodness they are 6inches long and not 6 feet. They look like something from a nightmare. Saw this guy crawling under my truck this weekend at my parents cabin along the susquehanna.

Attachments

• helgramite.jpg
    helgramite.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 3
I don't mind spiders or insects. Of course ticks really get me. But to me nothing is worse than centipedes ... I don't trust anything with that many legs.

Turkey... that could be a male. In a lot of spider species the males take care of the young like that. Not sure exactly what kind is is. My B-I-L found a brown recluse in his basement about 2 weeks ago.... NOT COOL.

When I was delivering newspapers a few years back there were a few of these in the area.

http://www.concordma.gov/pages/ConcordMA_Grounds/bees

once again NOT COOL seeing a wasp that is pushing 3 inches big. I was a big nature show watcher as a kid and loved learning of animals and bugs, but I ran and almost screamed like a little girl when I saw that thing.

Also while on that paper route I saw a white tail in the middle of town with no woods within miles, and best of all a peregrine falcon chasing a squirrel.

iceyguides wrote:
helgramites scare the crap outta me. Thank goodness they are 6inches long and not 6 feet. They look like something from a nightmare. Saw this guy crawling under my truck this weekend at my parents cabin along the susquehanna.

the title of your pic is a little misleading...that's a Dobsonfly, the adult form, Hellgrammites are the larval stage.

sniper, thanks for the correction. i did not know that. it's amazing fish eat those things. they look like they should be eating most of the fish i catch.

Hellgrammites scare the crap outa me to. Was poking my hand under rocks in the susquehanna and felt a searing pain in my hand. I brought up my hand to see 2 of them clamped into my pinky finger. Caught a nice bass on them after though. Also got bit by a spider the size of a golf ball

One of my best memories of bugs was at a Harrisburg Senators game years ago when I was a kid. I was 10 at most so my recollection might be a little off. The Senators baseball team plays near the river (City Island?) and as the sun went down and the stadium lights came on, a huge hatch of big duns descended on the spectators. People were freaking out and slipping on squashed mayflies. Girls had them in their hair. It looked like it was snowing bugs. I was too young to know what they were but it was a wild scene. Anyone ever experience this? Or know what kind of mayflies they might've been?

A couple of years ago I was at a Browns game at there were these mayflies all over the stadium! They didn't really bother anybody but they where everywhere! I guess they were hexes but from what I remember they kinda looked like sulfurs. They must of been coming off of the big lake.

Found this wasp looking creature on Meadow Run a few weeks ago,,, enjoy!
100_0320.jpg

Its a wolf spider, pretty common, and I have seen the largest ones along streams.

caveman wrote:
Its a wolf spider, pretty common, and I have seen the largest ones along streams.

Thanks Cave. I have seen one on a stream in Cumberland Co. I almost accidentally stepped on it. It never retreated. It would just raise its legs up at my foot. I left it alone and it just stayed on its rock.

Hahah I found one of those stag beetles on my front porch at the old house when I was probably 6 or 7. I caught him and kept him untill he died. Im pretty sure the pincers are useless though, at least I never got pinched by mine.

The spider on the other hand, I just wanna kill it.

Back