Euro troubles

I've been sticking with "old school nymphing" rather than switching to either indicator or euro-nymphing.

I don't know if there is any good source (book or internet) that explains and illustrates these methods. If no one has done that it would be a good project for someone.

Last edited:
Over the past couple springs I’ve been working hard to understand euro nymphing. I started off with some strong beginner’s luck & felt very connected to my flies at the bottom of my drifts, anymore I’m half clueless, half connected. I think part of my difficulty is in determining how much tippet length I should let sink, another part of my difficulty is in determining the amount of tension that I need to hold in order to make an effective drift. I realize that it is usually effective to kind of slip into and out of tension throughout a drift, especially in the presence of uneven currents.

I spent the day fishing euro yesterday on spring creek & found myself frequently late to sets and thus missing fish that had struck my flies. I usually use a very heavy fly whenever I’m feeling blind, like 3.3(+) mm bead. Once I get stuck on the bottom a bunch, I’ll swap out for lighter nymphs.

Sometimes I’m unsure as to what length of tippet to allow to sink, and how much to motivate my drift ahead in the current. Most often, I’ll use 4-6’ of tippet below my sighter. I usually try to achieve a length that allows my sighter to be just off the surface or exactly at the surface of the water. I’ll tuck cast into the lane I want, and I’ll give a good second or two for my flies to descend before leading the drift.

I’m unsure if maybe I’m suffering from using too fine of a mono leader or even too fine of tippet; where I suffer from the influence of eddies/currents throughout my drift. I’ve attempted to use “micro” and “thin” mono leaders, I’ve attempted to buff up my euro leaders as well. I seem to have a bit more grace with the slightly thicker leaders at times.

Otherwise, I’ve suspected that I may have erred on the side of using sighter that was too fine, as well. Does anyone have any pointers for an angler feeling blind about his drifts? I seem to alternate between feeling entirely blind to my drifts or setting halfway through every drift whenever I graze bottom. This happens even after I adjust for more weight/more sink time at the start of my drifts. Beyond this, I remember I used to kill it naked nymphing on a conventional leader, and I just feel quite disconnected from what it is that my sighter is telling me, anymore.
I’d suggest ditching that micro leader until you’re comfortable with your technique. Make sure your flies are getting on the bottom. Keep your rod ahead of your drift and the leader tight to the fly. Practice, practice practice. You’ll get it. It’s not that difficult. Good luck to you.

IMG 3767

I've been sticking with "old school nymphing" rather than switching to either indicator or euro-nymphing.

I don't know if there is any good source (book or internet) that explains and illustrates these methods. If no one has done that it would be a good project for someone.
There are many books on the subject of nymphing.

IMO, the best book I can recommend showing many techniques of nymphing is from George Daniel linked below >

How does a Euro rod differ from a traditional glass or graphite fly rod other than in its length? I tried to look that up today but didn’t find a clear answer.

How does a Euro rod differ from a traditional glass or graphite fly rod other than in its length? I tried to look that up today but didn’t find a clear answer.
Euro rods are all over the place, Mike. But in general they are longer rods with a sensitive tip and stiffer back end to fight fish with the lighter weight rod. They usually vary from 2-5wt and 9.5 - 11' in length.

After reading a lot of these posts, it reminds me of why I LOVE the simplicity of laying a dry fly gently on the surface, then watching a trout rise to it. Pure satisfaction.
Especially to a brookie that would probably rise to a drag free cigarette butt. If you love simplicity you should try tenkara 🤣

I kid and I get you, but it is hard to argue with the effectiveness and versatility at all hours of the day and all seasons of the year that the euro stuff presents.

Especially to a brookie that would probably rise to a drag free cigarette butt. If you love simplicity you should try tenkara 🤣

I kid and I get you, but it is hard to argue with the effectiveness and versatility at all hours of the day and all seasons of the year that the euro stuff presents.
I want to take you on. Same stream, same time, same conditions, same flies. I want to fish an indy in the manner that I have perfected, and I want you to fish Euro. I am just curious as to how the outcome would be. How badly would I get out fished, etc.

Not doubting the effectiveness of the euro method at all. I just enjoy topwater action more. Believe it or not, I can actually get those highly intelligent wild browns to come to the surface too. ;)

Last edited:
We shouldn't lose sight of the fact the whole idea of fly-fishing is, or should be, having fun fishing with whatever tackle, gear or technique you chose.

Some anglers take pleasure in finding something they like and just keep doing it that way, which is great!

In my case, I get pleasure from trying new things. A new challenge keeps things fresh and I feel like I'm progressing with my fishing and finding new ways to solve the puzzle of how to fool the fish. At the very least, what I learn adds another arrow in my quiver of techniques to try on the stream, and that's fun for me.

Have fun, however you choose to fish.

I want to take you on. Same stream, same time, same conditions, same flies. I want to fish an indy in the manner that I have perfected, and I want you to fish Euro. I am just curious as to how the outcome would be. How badly would I get out fished, etc.
I would def do that, Josh. Same flies might be a stretch unless you use mine?

Last edited:
Euro rods are all over the place, Mike. But in general they are longer rods with a sensitive tip and stiffer back end to fight fish with the lighter weight rod. They usually vary from 2-5wt and 9.5 - 11' in length.
Thanks for the description. I’ve only ever seen three on streams and two were from a distance, so my exposure to this technique has been very limited. I rarely fish special reg waters, perhaps 1X per yr, and the stocked trout and wild trout streams I most frequently fish see few to no fly anglers. When I do fish with another fly angler, it’s almost always at night. Haven’t spotted any glowing sighters yet😉

After reading a lot of these posts, it reminds me of why I LOVE the simplicity of laying a dry fly gently on the surface, then watching a trout rise to it. Pure satisfaction.
Old school nymphing can also be very simple. Same with wet fly fishing.

Tie on fly, cast it up and across, follow the drift. Very, very simple.

Thanks for the description. I’ve only ever seen three on streams and two were from a distance, so my exposure to this technique has been very limited. I rarely fish special reg waters, perhaps 1X per yr, and the stocked trout and wild trout streams I most frequently fish see few to no fly anglers. When I do fish with another fly angler, it’s almost always at night. Haven’t spotted any glowing sighters yet😉
:eek:

I feel like euro nymphing is talked about in the FF community like it’s a religion LOL! You’re not “switching to euro”, I fish the technique that best suits the water type and conditions. For nymphing I will fish euro maybe 90% of the time because to me it’s the most effective way to catch fish in those conditions but I absolutely will fish indicator rigs, dry dropper rigs, floated sighter rigs, streamer rigs etc when need be. Conditions and water types change and so should our techniques. Also for the dry fly crowd ….. who doesn’t like fishing dries ?? If you see rising fish and you don’t want to fish dries… something’s not right lol!!

Yes, I totally picked that up from your comments, as I am 54 myself and tightlined NEPA pocket water for a time before the new techniques. What these guys are doing is not relying on feel but sight. If you don't react to a slight pause or that sixth sense I mentioned you are also missing fish. Tight is on a gradient or scale. Heck, you can even float the sighter with some payette paste. It's all euro but it is certainly not all tightline fishing....

I might even venture to say folks are missing the larger fish if they are waiting to feel a hit. And there is a such thing as too tight also, as that would affect a natural drift.
I’m not relying on feel either but if I’m not tight to my flies I can’t see the take, I myself use the slinky sighter. Incredibly super sensitive and misses nothing.

Back