Euro troubles

I've been sticking with "old school nymphing" rather than switching to either indicator or euro-nymphing.

I don't know if there is any good source (book or internet) that explains and illustrates these methods. If no one has done that it would be a good project for someone.
Old school nymphing can also be very simple. Same with wet fly fishing.

Tie on fly, cast it up and across, follow the drift. Very, very simple.
There ya go! ^....no book needed.

There ya go! ^....no book needed.
Old school nymphing CAN be very simple. And that's how you should start out.

But there are many techniques that can be learned, once you learn the basics.

This is true of dry fishing also. And wet fly fishing.

And it's true of fly fishing in general. You can start out with very basic techniques, then add on to that.

I would def do that, Josh. Same flies might be a stretch unless you use mine?
I want to take you on. Same stream, same time, same conditions, same flies. I want to fish an indy in the manner that I have perfected, and I want you to fish Euro. I am just curious as to how the outcome would be. How badly would I get out fished, etc.
Need to know when and where! Will bring popcorn, a six pack and my lawn chair.

Old school nymphing CAN be very simple. And that's how you should start out.

But there are many techniques that can be learned, once you learn the basics.

This is true of dry fishing also. And wet fly fishing.

And it's true of fly fishing in general. You can start out with very basic techniques, then add on to that.
I really like this and it reminds me of a quote attributed to Bill Koll in the preface to the Second Edition of Joe Humphrey’s Trout Tactics. It pertained to wrestling and remains relevant in fishing, sports, and basically all things in life.

“The most primary and basic moves, refined and done to perfection, become the most advanced moves.”

So are you using the fly line out of the tip of your rod, or not? I have "tight-lined" pocket water a lot by using the fly line out of the tip of my rod. I have crushed fishing doing that. I have just never taken the plunge to going to a full on mono-rig. I have on tied up and on my old Okuma Sierra, though.
Yes I mostly work pocket waters and typically don't have much fly line outside the tip. Since my leader usually starts with a loop it is easy to swap out if a hatch breaks out. Although it won't be your best set up for that you can still catch plenty of fish assuming you have room for a 10' rod.

For a change up that might be helpful for you, employ the same basic concept, but swap out the heavier anchor flies for a dropshot system. Essentially, fish standard unweighted or lightly weighed nymphs, and add a short tag line (I go with 4 to 6 inches) off your bottom fly. To this tag end, knot the end and add however much split shot you need to get down. This will accomplish the purpose of a tight line and contact with bottom with little fear of losing flies. My theory also, is that often when euro nymphing, your anchor fly is TOO deep. In most situations, I want my nymphs a few inches to a foot, off bottom. Plus I have always preferred more realistically, traditional tied patterns versus those trendy perdigon style "jigs". The euro concept isn't rocket science and I think most people drastically overthink it. If you're tippet length is roughly 1.5X the water depth and your weight is sufficient, then all you need is a simple up or down adjustment of the rod to maintain bottom contact through your drift. Try to visualize your driftin your mind. There is a sweet spot, and it may not be very long, when your flies are "in the zone". As your flies pass your position and downstream of you,you can "extend" that sweet spot slightly by dropping your rod tip to compensate for the flies try to ride up in the water column as they approach the end of the drift. With an indicator rig you can extend the drift typically much longer by mending the line, but slack line is counter productive to tight line nymphing. I fish both ways but I honestly enjoy indicator fishing as its is more relaxing to me. And while tight lining may be more effective overall, I still catch plenty of fish on indicators. 🙂

Need to know when and where! Will bring popcorn, a six pack and my lawn chair.

No need, Dave. We will get establishing drone footage of the creek, and then some color with Mennonites at Sheetz, even some underwater releases, top it off with a beer with a fish pic on the label at the back of the late model minivan.

It will be just like you were there without being there 😁

No need, Dave. We will get establishing drone footage of the creek, and then some color with Mennonites at Sheetz, even some underwater releases, top it off with a beer with a fish pic on the label at the back of the late model minivan.

It will be just like you were there without being there 😁
Do you promise?

You name the crick and I'll be there!

Back