Euro rods

mayfly418

mayfly418

I’m considering purchasing a 10’, 2 or 3wt. euro fly rod. I would like an inexpensive rod that is light weight. What would you suggest?

Echo Carbon XL is a very good performer on the inexpensive end.

Echo Carbon XL is a very good performer on the inexpensive end.

I would look for a used Greys Streamflex 10' 2wt. Great stick if you can find one.

I have the Orvis Clearwater . I have not used it yet though given what we are all going through right now.

I have a Greys 10 ft 2 weight that I fish all the time. It's a great rod. Also have a 10 ft 4 weight Cabelas CZN which is also good. I much prefer the Greys though for the smaller streams I fish.

How inexpensive? It is my belief that my idea of inexpensive and other fly fishers idea of inexpensive are radically different. I personally use a V-nymph 10ft 3 weight from Maxcatch and it came in its own Cordura rod tube deal. Total I believe I paid around 75 or 80 dollars for it. It's relatively lightweight. I up sized the reel weight to a 5 to keep the center of gravity closer to my hand which makes holding the rod tip high on long days easier.

Thanks,
mayfly418 wrote:
I’m considering purchasing a 10’, 2 or 3wt. euro fly rod. I would like an inexpensive rod that is light weight. What would you suggest?

I am selling my Orvis Recon 10' 3wt that is specifically designed for nymphing. I am asking $500.00 for rod and reel. Let me know if you are interested.

Syndicate fly rods have always been good to me. Made in Tennessee

I have a first gen Cortland Comp nymph rod, and think it's tough to beat at the price point. They now have two price points, the Nymph series, and Comp mk2. I'll be casting both soon, bc I need to replace my first gen.

Syndicate. Cheap and very effective

I'd suggest checking this years model Cortland Comp nymph rod as they have updated with down locking reel seats etc. Or if you want to get spendy the Comp mk2 is pretty nice. I'm left feeling baffled the high end rods like the H3's don't even have hook keeps any longer for the price they want.

I really like my Syndicate P2 10 foot 3 weight using Mono rig. I'm catching more trout than ever with this technique.

Here is a good shootout on Euro rods

https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/2018-european-style-nymphing-fly-rod-shootout-fly-rod-review/

First euro rod I tried was one of the newer orvis clearwaters. Broke the tip twice on snags that my other rods handled fine. Figured it was just bad luck on my part and I am definitely hard on my gear with the amount of days I fish.

The Euro rod I currently use is an Echo Shadow 2 10ft 3 weight. Definitely not as sensitive as the clearwater and does not have a downlocking grip but that rod has been through hell and back without any issues.

I bought one of the cabelas czn rods because I had gift cards and wasn't sure if the euro nymph thing was for me.well ive fished it three times using the mono rig and sighter etc.wow this style of fishing catches fish!since its the only rod of that type ive used I cant compare to to other but I like it. it will also cast a weight forward 4wt line. so if your far from the truck and a hatch comes up your covered.

Please educate me - if the intention with Euro nymphing is to have no line on the water why even bother with a fly line? Just buy 100 yards of a high visibility 12# line like some pinners use and then blood knot a Euro leader to the end of it. Anyone I have ever witnessed fishing in this manner doesn't "cast" in the traditional overhead manner. All they seem to do is allow the drift to get completely below them and then lift it out of the water and kind of flip it back upstream again.

Wbranch.
As far as I know the main reason people may choose to use a fly line in lieu of a mono rig is to prevent "mono pull through/escape" which is when the mono slips between the spool and the frame of the reel which interferes with drag and such. I'm sure there are other reasons but this is the one I've seen most often.

http://brflyfishing.org/fly-fishing/euro-nymphing/how-to-fix-the-mono-line-pull-through-for-good

Here's one such article that explains what it is and it even gives ways to prevent it if youre using a mono rig.

Back