Euro-nymphing ruining casting

TrtnBux wrote:
is this the same guy who was whining about "Bros"?

Listen here slapnuts.

Isn't that what the forum pages are used for? Talking about hot topics in the fishing world? I know you're probably still salty about not winning a cup since 1975 but c'mon man.

The OP is spot on. This newer generation can't cast and is obsessed with numbers.

You'll address me properly or I'll slap your mouth and make those nuts fall out.

I was looking for perspective. If this was going to be a cry fest that some other "group" was moving in on your "coolness" I was going to ignore it like I did the Bro thread. If it was going to be something like how a baseball season can ruin your golf swing, that might have been interesting. If I hurt your feelings I apologize. Carry on.

Oh...oh...ohh... Let me be the first one...

Heeheemmm

"Get off my lawn!"

That is all.

When I first started to fly fish I wanted to do things as differently as possible from spin fishing. I never tied on a nymph for the fist six months or so. All dry flies, so I guess I was forced to learn to cast. It was either that or get a second job to replace all of the flies I lost.

"Klingy", you'll know him as a board member who posts all of the beautiful trout fishing essays, was nice enough to take me out and really show me how to fine tune my casting ability.

He also introduced me to tight line nymphing, something I still haven't quite mastered. I'm still amazed at the amount of trout he can pull out of a run using the same nymph as I am while I just sit there with a stupid look on my face : ).

Point is, I think many people are very good at both tactics. The problem is that most people now want instant gratification and tight lining is the way to get that done.

So yes I do think tight lining is contributing to the demise of fly casting but ultimately people are their own worst enemy.

You'll address me properly or I'll slap your mouth and make those nuts fall out. I was looking for perspective. If this was going to be a cry fest that some other "group" was moving in on your "coolness" I was going to ignore it like I did the Bro thread. If it was going to be something like how a baseball season can ruin your golf swing, that might have been interesting. If I hurt your feelings I apologize. Carry on.

I thought slapnuts was accurate...no feelings hurt here, don't take your kind seriously anyway.

TrtnBux wrote:
You'll address me properly or I'll slap your mouth and make those nuts fall out. I was looking for perspective. If this was going to be a cry fest that some other "group" was moving in on your "coolness" I was going to ignore it like I did the Bro thread. If it was going to be something like how a baseball season can ruin your golf swing, that might have been interesting. If I hurt your feelings I apologize. Carry on.

I thought slapnuts was accurate...no feelings hurt here, don't take your kind seriously anyway.

What kind are you?

lycoflyfisher wrote:
TrtnBux wrote:

What kind are you?

I think they call them whatever was underneath the bridge that the Three Billy Goats Gruff crossed over...

salmonoid wrote:
lycoflyfisher wrote:
TrtnBux wrote:

What kind are you?

I think they call them whatever was underneath the bridge that the Three Billy Goats Gruff crossed over...
. Geez all this over how long your leader is?????? I hate nymph in' but if after a week or two I'm not catching fish....( out west) or on Penns Creek with no hatches ...I'll break down and do it.....Learnt' it years ago when I went to the San Juan to fish and found out nymphn' was the only option.....let's leave the insulting for more important topics like Football / Hockey .........

I'm probably in the Grumpy old man category being 65, but I still believe in being flexible and adapting to conditions. I've been predominately a nymph and wet fly guy most of my career by necessity. Most time I go out there aren't good hatches or great native trout streams nearby. I like catching trout and I'll tight line or fish under an indicator if I believe that will catch the most or biggest trout.

That said, when I got into a good Sulpher hatch this Spring I took my newly purchased European style (10' 3-4wt.) and tossed dries landing over a doz. fish before the light went. Turned out it was way more than a one trick pony. Would it have been easier to get a rod more suited to the task? Maybe, though it was over a half mi. to my truck.

Lately I have been tossing Buggers and poppers in our local lake for bass and pan fish. So though it isn't the dictated style, the actual rod is probably helping my casting by keeping me fly fishing when I might otherwise not be.

I dont think tight line nymphing helps casting. But adding tons of lead and fishing egg patterns doesnt either. If someone wants to nymph that's fine, but I disagree that there are certain times when it's either nymph or catch nothing. When you get good at fishing dries you figure out ways to catch fish on dries every time you fish. I fish dries 80 percent of the time, swing streamers 20 percent of the time, and really only nymph if I grab someone else rod with a nymph rig.

The thing I like about European nymphing is that the guys who do it usually are fishing in different water than I like to fish so it gives me more room. I almost prefer being in a drift boat with nymphers because I can anchor in a riffle and drink beer and let them do their thing, then take almost every shot at fish rising in flat water.

PennKev wrote:
Yeah lots of people can't cast. That's not a new thing.

That's true. We were all newbies at one time.

It takes some experience to become a decent caster. Particularly if you're just learning it mostly on your own.

Not everyone has the money to spend on expensive fly fishing lessons.

I think most experienced tight liners also carry extra spools/reels as well - I carry a reel that has my tightlining rig on it, and I also carry a reel with my floating line and leader on it so I can easily switch between the two depending on water type/conditions.

Yessir! Amen.

I carry an extra spool with a WFF line and tapered leader. If a nice hatch starts coming off, you bet I’m gonna switch.

Caveat: That has happened 3 times in 1 year of pretty dedicated fishing.

Yes folks, it all comes down to a "one trick pony." My title is the most basic reflection of my point. It has to be short. Nothing wrong with tight lining. Nothing wrong with fishing dries. Nothing wrong with fishing for trout or bass or carp or Snakeheads. The point is, you need to be well rounded. I've been addicted to fishing since I was young. I'd read books on fishing, ride my bike to a pond or lake nearly daily, and caught everything. When I wasn't catching fish I learned my conditions that I was in and how to overcome them. All I'm saying is it comes down to knowledge and experience. When I talk to someone and they say they know how to fish well I expect that they at least know the basics.

I'm not judging this person and I had fun teaching and helping but I was so surprised when he couldn't cast to save his life. If someone seems serious they should at least know the basics. That'd be like me saying oh yeah I can golf. Well, yeah, I can, but in reality I can't.

jacob wrote:
I think most experienced tight liners also carry extra spools/reels as well - I carry a reel that has my tightlining rig on it, and I also carry a reel with my floating line and leader on it so I can easily switch between the two depending on water type/conditions.

Yessir! Amen.

I carry an extra spool with a WFF line and tapered leader. If a nice hatch starts coming off, you bet I’m gonna switch.

Caveat: That has happened 3 times in 1 year of pretty dedicated fishing.

If I only saw 3 hatches in a year I'd probably fish somewhere different.

Clarification:

3 hatches in 1 year when I was planning on nymphing all day and had to switch spools

Haha I agree, only 3 hatches in one year would be sad.

If there is no "them" there is no "us."

Re: Euro-nymphing ruining casting #27 Joined: 2016/10/19 18:43 From Beaver Falls. PA. Posts: 260 Offline Quote: salmonoid wrote: Quote: lycoflyfisher wrote: Quote: TrtnBux wrote: Quote: You'll address me properly or I'll slap your mouth and make those nuts fall out. I was looking for perspective. If this was going to be a cry fest that some other "group" was moving in on your "coolness" I was going to ignore it like I did the Bro thread. If it was going to be something like how a baseball season can ruin your golf swing, that might have been interesting. If I hurt your feelings I apologize. Carry on. I thought slapnuts was accurate...no feelings hurt here, don't take your kind seriously anyway.

What kind are you?

I think they call them whatever was underneath the bridge that the Three Billy Goats Gruff crossed over... . Geez all this over how long your leader is?????? I hate nymph in' but if after a week or two I'm not catching fish....( out west) or on Penns Creek with no hatches ...I'll break down and do it.....Learnt' it years ago when I went to the San Jua

Everyone calm down now.... when I said "your kind" I was referring to a Pens hater....

Yeah, well my leader is bigger than yours.

Ya aint fly fishin less' yer fishin dry flies

I watched a bad caster one day then the very next day fly fishing ceased to exist

Back