Euro- Czech nymphing my new favorite

mike_richardson wrote:
Tied up a few leaders last night. Went with a simple recipe for now.

7ft of trilene xt in 20 pound (green)
18" suffix high viz (yellow)
4-5' of suffix 6 pound flouro
end with tippet ring.

Going to try this out first. The whole set up cost me 25.00 for the supplies. I will be buying the Jan Siman bicolor soon but just wanted to play around with the cheaper stuff first. Will let you know how I make out. WIll be fishing the first fork of the Sinnemahoning next weekend, not to sure i will get out this weekend.
IMO your leader is too long for a nymphing rig. By my calculations your leader is 12.5 to 13.5 feet without the tippet. IMO you should shorten it up to about the length of your flyrod and then add about 2 to 2.5' of tippet. I think you will lose contact with your fly with a leader that long. Just my opinion.

I would be curious to see how you make out using the 7ft. of Trilene for the butt section. I fidget from time to time with different fly lines some are way too stiff.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:

end with tippet ring.

Going to try this out first. The whole set up cost me 25.00 for the supplies. I will be buying the Jan Siman bicolor soon but just wanted to play around with the cheaper stuff first. Will let you know how I make out. WIll be fishing the first fork of the Sinnemahoning next weekend, not to sure i will get out this weekend.
IMO your leader is too long for a nymphing rig. By my calculations your leader is 12.5 to 13.5 feet without the tippet. IMO you should shorten it up to about the length of your flyrod and then add about 2 to 2.5' of tippet. I think you will lose contact with your fly with a leader that long. Just my opinion.

Depends on the style of high sticking he is doing. However, I don't think it is long enough.

Yeah thanks becker and Tiger trout for the thoughts on the lenght. I am used to using a 9' total lenght leader. I was going to play around with the butt section while on the stream to find a decent length to match the size of stream I am fishing. I made it a tad longer than what i thought i should use and modify it for the stream. Contemplating setting up different leaders for different streams and marking them with masking tape.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

SBecker wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:

end with tippet ring.

Depends on the style of high sticking he is doing. However, I don't think it is long enough.
This advice coming from a guy who can't catch a trout on a Green Weenie! :-o Oh that hurt.......... Got you. :lol:

Lol Touché

Hmm i only ever caught one trout on one. I feel your pain Becker

I like a 10' leader - but that is a personal choice. If it slaps the water too much and the end of the fly line is being pulled under the water it is too short - if you can't control it either in casting or mending it is too long. Excellent nymph fishermen I know play around with length until they get something that works for them - there is no one right answer. Similar to dry fly fishing where if it is too straight and can't get some slack on the water and get a good drift it is too short - if it has too much slack on the water and you can't set the hook it is too long. Adjust until your leader works for you.

That said, I like the slack leader constructions with a sort of stiff butt and a limper front end.

As far as Green Weenies go, I catch fish with them in PA and NY, but can't manage it in NJ or anywhere else. No idea why.

This time I'm not going to step on it. My primary leader is. 9.5' add about 2' of colored sighter and tippet gets tied to that. I use up to and sometimes more 6' level tippet. My leader starts at 30 lb. And goes down to 8lb, I use the 60% method to make it. Works well and I can cast it nice with a single size 18 tungsten bead fly if needed. I use a floating line to that so I cn switch to a dry dropper n a pinch. I can use this set up for long line and short line nymphing.

I had tried a 25lb but section and worked alright, the 30 casts better. I'm happy with that leader, I don't use the 30 ' leader much. I need to practice with it more on a place other than ffo areas. Lol

The long line nymphing method is designed for short drifts btw

If I were to have a setup where I would only use czech nymphing, what type of fly line would you recomend?

I use a floating line - generally a double taper, but a weight forward is OK. You wouldn't be casting far in any high stick nymphing so I don't think taper matters all that much. I go with DT because I think it roll casts better and that is what I have used for a long time and is a habit. I like the floating line with a slack leader because I can switch quickly to a dry or dry dropper if the fish move up.

My favorite set-up is a Greys Streamflex 10' 3 wt with a 4 wt floating DT line and a 10' leader. I can switch to dry flies pretty quickly. This works for 90% of the places I fish, but the problem is I really can't crank long casts out so if I have to switch to dries on larger water like the Delaware I can't reach some fish. Medium streams I can fish fine. At the Delaware I like a 9 1/2' 5wt Z-Axis with a WF line which has a decent length for nymphing but can reach a whole lot more fish with dries. Your style has a lot to do with outfit selection, but I generally go for softer, lighter rods unless distance makes me go to a heavier, faster set-up.

I may be looking into getin a 10; 4 wt for this style of fishing. I am now realizing it has much with feeling your flies than watching your line. Glad I started into this. I am now learning mor and more every day.

Seems that most of the US Flyfishing team are Euro-style fisherman.

I give him the leader formula and I have great success with it...Becker I agree it could be longer but I spend a lot of time in fly projects so I have to keep it under 18'...the fly line I use is the cortland compitition line, I feel it helps with having the shorter leader

attackone wrote:
I give him the leader formula and I have great success with it...Becker I agree it could be longer but I spend a lot of time in fly projects so I have to keep it under 18'...the fly line I use is the cortland compitition line, I feel it helps with having the shorter leader

My post was no way directed at you. I was responding to WTT. I like a 16-20ft leader. That is just me.

Running line, it's very sensitive to detect strikes if you JUST nymphing. thats what I have on my hends long leader.

DT floating line will also work and you can cast dry/dropper with that.

One set-up I'd go with a 4wt, gives you more power to cast dry/dropper more distance.

mike_richardson wrote:

Seems that most of the US Flyfishing team are Euro-style fisherman.

You realize the rules of competition prevent them from using conventional floating indicator rigs, right?

yes i realize this. They can use bright mono line

20 inches of 25lb chart. amnesia to 20 inches of 20lb orange amnesia to 20 inches of 15lb chart. amnesia to tippet ring to Tippet of your choice. The color variation in the middle of your sighter rig will clue you in on a strike.

i use 4ft of red berkley fireline loop knotted to the fly line and nail knotted to 5/6ft of 5X fluoro.

i've found that long leaders or heavy tippets make no difference in fast runs over 4ft deep in big rivers.

which is where i fish this rig on a 9ft 5wt using two flies on 12" 5x apart.

i've not really figured out the benefits of a longer rod for this - other than avoiding deep wading, but that defeats the whole point of bottom rolling a short line for trout, grayling or steelhead

for traditional high sticking in small clear streams, hell yeah - scots wets were originally fished on 11ft rods in burns.

mike_richardson wrote:
yes i realize this. They can use bright mono line

Well that's my point, they pretty much have to be Euro style nymph fisherman. They don't have the option of using the indicator rigs that just about every US fly fisherman has adopted.

Back