Euro- Czech nymphing my new favorite

Shush up Nick, what the heck do you know? Do not post if you are going to make up lies.

I like to tightline large flies for small fish at times... mainly on brookie streams.

And use a treble hook as a trailer just in case the fish misses the fly the treble hook is sure to get em on the hookset.

Mike- I discovered this technique about this time last year after reading George Daniel's book. I thought it was crazy until i tried it. It flat out revolutionized my nymphing. I make my own leaders using a formula in George's book.

5' 20# Stren Blue
24" 10# Stren Yellow
24" .030mm sighter material ending in a 2mm tippet ring
24-30" flourocarbon with 4-6" droppers attached the the tippet using double surgeons knot.

Mike
I hope Sean Crocker sees this thread , he is a master of nymphing ,he is on one of the competition teams

Good job Mike.

as many have pointed out already, it has it's time and place.

Have fun, and read up on it. there are a ton of books and videos on it. most notably George Daniels book called Dynamic Nymphing. That book is a game changer if you like to nymph.

keep up the good work Mike!

I high stick a whole lot more than I use indicators - however, all techniques have their place. I like high sticking better in deep pools because I get a better feel for the bottom. I also like doing without an indicator when casting tight up against the bank - where most of the fish hang out in the places I fish.

In general, I zone out when fishing indicators and focus more without them. Your mileage may vary. My most successful nymphing is when I imagine where a fish is lying and then run the nymph through that lie. I do that better when "Euronymphing". When I am fishing with an indicator I tend to "chuck-and-chance-it", which isn't a high percentage way to hook up.

One of the most cahllenging things with high sticking is to sense the hit so you can strike. Most times I do not feel it and just see the leader subtly move. After a while you get a sixth sense about it and strike automatically for reasons ypou aren't aware of. I try to lead the nymphs so there is the slightest sag in the leader. Having some sag in the leader also allows the nymphs to sink. When the sag starts to tighten I strike - you almost never feel the hit with a sag in your leader. I don't use a colored leader because I do OK without it, but some people really find that helpful.

I employ both methods, high sticking and fishing with an indicator. Depending on the conditions both work very well. I find myself high sticking when I'm fishing in close. I use an indicator when fishing at a distance. It is really neat to catch a trout when you are nymph fishing at 40 to 50+ feet away. ;-)

Thanks for all of the insight. I will be making some leaders. I will use tippet rings. I plan on getting some high viz mono as well. I have a few ideas in mind as to what to make. I will also try a few blood knots. I am really working on upping my game this year and gaining more and more knowledge everyday. Thank you all for helpful insight.

This method is deadly!

I've been using it for 3+ years and once you figure it out lookout. I use the straight sighter and curly sighter. And it is ultimately dependent on water types. I almost always catch fish. It's really shines on places like spring creek, BFC, and Penns. The thing with this method is you are in contant with you flies and it's easier to detect strikes, where as indi fishing there is a delay in the noticed dip in the indi. I still use indi style when the tight line is less than optimal, for example a long deep slow pool. And times where the fish want a different presentation. I've tried this on fish and drifted it by them with no interest, swithced to a dry droppper and first cast, fish.

I'll use this method for a long time to come. I use a 2&4 wt 10' ESN

Mike,

Take a look at George Daniel's nymping leader or try a Harvey slack leader and use colored mono (gold stren or hi vis yellow) for the 0x. You can taper down to 5x on the Harvey leader and use fluorocarbon tippet for the parts of the leader that are below the sighter (colored mono). I've used both of these leaders and liked them. The Harvey leader seems to work better with a 9' rod and George's leader better with a 10' rod. George's book has a handful of other leader formulas if you want to try something different.

George Daniel Leader

Modified Harvey Slack leader Formula for Nymphing
Diameter # Test X Rating Type of Mono Length
.017 20 LB. - 10"
.015 15 LB. - 18"
.013 12 LB. - 18"
.010 8 LB. 1x - 18"
.009 6 LB. 2x - 12"
.008 5 LB. 3x - 18"
.007 4 LB. 4x - 18-24"

I started trying high-sticking last year when it was introduced to me by Rachel Finn (great guide on the WB AuSable). I did well with it there, but I find that most places I fish, I can't get close enough to the fish for this (at least it feels that way), so I resort to indy rigs.

zenherper wrote:
but I find that most places I fish, I can't get close enough to the fish for this (at least it feels that way), so I resort to indy rigs.

You should try one of those long Japanese rods without a reel?

I love tight-lining (Chez?) and I have great success with a 8'4" rod.

On my 2wt I use a leader/tippet thats close to 30' long. I use no fly line and it's great for low water spooky fish in summer. Spring creek at the paradise in perticular. I use a single fly on that rig.

You don't have to use a short line method with this.

jkilroy wrote:
On my 2wt I use a leader/tippet thats close to 30' long. I use no fly line and it's great for low water spooky fish in summer. Spring creek at the paradise in perticular. I use a single fly on that rig.

You don't have to use a short line method with this.
That rig is illegal at the Paradise on Spring Creek, it's FFO water. You are limited to a 18 feet of leader material or monofilament.

WildTigerTrout is correct.

I use a specialty leader for some applications but keep it limited to about 17' since I often fish in FFO waters in the Cumberland Valley. It's worth an occasional reminder that FFO waters have a leader length limit.

Oops. That's the bad thing for that leader.

Lol good response

Tied up a few leaders last night. Went with a simple recipe for now.

7ft of trilene xt in 20 pound (green)
18" suffix high viz (yellow)
4-5' of suffix 6 pound flouro
end with tippet ring.

Going to try this out first. The whole set up cost me 25.00 for the supplies. I will be buying the Jan Siman bicolor soon but just wanted to play around with the cheaper stuff first. Will let you know how I make out. WIll be fishing the first fork of the Sinnemahoning next weekend, not to sure i will get out this weekend.

Back