etiquette question

I would agree with the channelization, I have more experience walking this stream while hunting than actual fishing time. There are multiple places that you can see evidence where logs were slid down the side hills into the stream. The channel is starting to become more braided and meanders are starting to develop in some places.

lyco: over my head, but changes after channelizing discussed p12 13 here, thanks:

http://www.kettlecreek.org/uploads/2/5/6/0/25607137/upper_kettle_creek_fish_habitat_plan.pdf

There is a section up above that cable that goes across the stream that is channeled, but channeling isn't the reason there's few trout in that stream. That would be a convenient excuse though.

What’s funny about this thread is, I only ever fished Lick Run once. I picked up a few fish but then had another angler jump in front of me.

So I quit and went someplace else.

DaveS wrote:
What’s funny about this thread is, I only ever fished Lick Run once. I picked up a few fish but then had another angler jump in front of me.

That's some really bad luck on a stream that's 15 miles long. ;-)

Wildtrout2 I haven't looked into the geology much but I know the mountain top are covered in sandstone which would lead one to believe that there's virtually no buffering capacity and that could cause some I with acid deposition.

wildtrout2 wrote:
DaveS wrote:

That's some really bad luck on a stream that's 15 miles long. ;-)

A buddy and I fished it one time not realizing that someone was flyfishing ahead of us. When we caught up with him I asked how his fishing was gone. He showed us 3 wild browns in his creel and said he thought he could catch 2 more to make his limit.

A lot of people fish Lick Run.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Wildtrout2 I haven't looked into the geology much but I know the mountain top are covered in sandstone which would lead one to believe that there's virtually no buffering capacity and that could cause some I with acid deposition.
That could be the case. I find it curious though, that both Craig Fork and Staver Run (tribs to Lick Run) hold good populations of natives, and some browns. I wish I had the time to fish Lick Run in it's entirety, there has to be a section that has some decent trout fishing.

My apologies for turning this into a Lick Run thread, those weren't my intentions when I mentioned Lick Run as a remote stream with roads along it's length.

TB, I have fished it six times and never encountered another fisherman. One time, a good ways up, I did see a couple guys trying to hang a cable across the stream. I guess they had a camp nearby?

Back