etiquette question

tomitrout wrote:
I think your reading comprehension is just fine. Where on the LJ, the Breeches, Penn's, Spring, Kettle, the D, etc, etc will you find the scenario originally described:

You arrive at a remote stream parking/access area....

Yep. On those streams, in most scenarios, 100 yards is more than fine. Heck, for the evening rise, I think 100 feet is probably fine in most cases.

See JP, Jack, wb, pd...We actually agree. We’re just talking about apples and oranges here.

That said, can we agree that putting folding chairs on the bank like a shoveled parking spot in south philly doesn’t hold that spot for the day?

I casted into a guides boat this year on the delaware. He was not happy at all, but got the hint and moved downstream. I had to throw the whole line to get it there so I'm guessing he was between 80' and 100' away which IMO is way too close.

I don't usually do things like that but when its someone that knows better sometimes its too hard to resist. I was using a size 16 dry fly. Would have been way more fun bombing a size 2 double bunny...

JohnPowers wrote:
That said, can we agree that putting folding chairs on the bank like a shoveled parking spot in south philly doesn’t hold that spot for the day?

Folding chairs reserve a spot 12 hours max; may drop to six, depending on the time of year. Bonus - you can use your stringer to rope the chairs together!

rrt wrote:
Post #54: You are right. The OP did not say small stream; that is what I read into the post. Things can be much different on larger streams. I believe what I said about a mile on small streams is good etiquette, but you might not be able to do that on larger waters, esp places like the often-crowded Little Juniata River.

I guess it is my reading comprehension that is in question, and I was a teacher. My excuse: I've been retired 12 years. It looks like we sort of had 2 conversations going here, much of which was my fault. Sorry I screwed it up.

Anyhow, when this topic morphed into a small-stream conversation, I think guys who fish small waters regularly think pretty much the same way about having room to fish, how to fish the small streams, and how much room to give another fisherman.

(When I get my truck back from the garage, it cools off a little later this week, and I work up some energy, I hope to hit a couple of small streams for a couple hours each.)

Rich, at first this response caused me to scratch my head. You just haven't been your grumpy old self lately.

But then I realized that I do the same thing with my sister-in-law when she goes off on one of her conspiracy theories. Like old Faithful isn't so faithful anymore. Or my favorite... The moon landings were staged.

I just nod my head and agree.

Your grumpy cars is still intact, but watch it!

But seriously, there was definitely more than one conversation involved, but I think we should blame it on the OP. ;-)

Years ago me and two others were catching little flounder off an old dock in Margate. Guy in a Boston Whaler saw this and anchored and started casting toward us. Guy on the dock bounced a buck tail off the boat. Said, you got the whole f***ing bay and you have to crowd this dock. Boat moved on. Etiquette enforcement.

Farmer Dave wrote;

Define significance

At least 60 feet wide.

But don't expect me to name them. Besides, you probably wouldn't be interested in such insignificant streams.

Right on, I have zero interest in such insignificant rills. :lol:

If I can't throw 50' - 60' every so often I get bored.

Hey, Dave, I'll try to be a little more abrasive in future posts. (But, you know it's your, rleep's, chaz's, jeff f's, dave w's, troutbert's , and others' fault that I have not been very grumpy lately. When I was being grumpy in the past, all you guys were tolerant and nice to me, so how could I keep being a grumpy old man all of the time?) :)

wbranch wrote:
Farmer Dave wrote;

Define significance

At least 60 feet wide.

OK then. Turning the table on you...

How many "REMOTE" stream accesses do you know, in PA, for streams that size.

The question is rhetorical, because there are obviously some. But I aint naming those, either. ;-)

I'm just splaining why some of us interpreted it as a small stream.;-)

After reading all these post I realize I've never had any etiquette. Where I usually fish three rod lengths are about the normal distance between fisherman.lol For the record I haven't fished a mile from my vehicle unless I was in a drift boat. Now when I was a youngster I'd walk a couple of miles just to Trout fish.

FarmerDave wrote:
The "remote" streams that I fish don't have any parking accesses other than from the top or bottom, which often requires a lengthy walk from there to the stream anyway. There isn't any driving to the middle sections of these streams.

wildtrout2 wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
The "remote" streams that I fish don't have any parking accesses other than from the top or bottom, which often requires a lengthy walk from there to the stream anyway. There isn't any driving to the middle sections of these streams.

What you seem to be saying is that remote streams are remote?

Attachments

• imagesCABACWY1.jpg
    imagesCABACWY1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 2
I am not concerned about running into other anglers on small trout streams let alone remote ones at that. I only have only once seen an angler on a small, unstocked by PFBC or co-op, wild trout stream when I have been working, fishing, hiking, or backpacking along these streams anywhere in the state over a 41 year period.

FarmerDave wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

No, I'm simply saying the ones I fish are roadless, so I rarely encounter the predicament described by the OP. There are plenty of remote streams that have roads of some kind running their length.

wildtrout2 wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

No, I'm simply saying the ones I fish are roadless, so I rarely encounter the predicament described by the OP. There are plenty of remote streams that have roads of some kind running their length.

I was just messing with you, but regardless of stream size, if there is a road running it's length, that isn't remote in my book. I'm guessing you meant to say small streams that have roads running their length.

I used to fish a couple of those too, and rarely saw another angler. They weren't that good of streams, just convenient.

The remote ones (no road), I almost never saw another angler.

FD, a good example of a remote stream with a road running it's length is Lick Run in Clinton county. You have Hazard Rd on the east side and Carrier Rd on the west side, both almost to the headwaters. But, you'll play hell trying to get down to it in many areas from either of those roads, and it gets very remote.

It's a shame the fishing isn't better there, because it's one of the most beautiful streams I've fished.

In most places lick run would be more than a mile from either road, especially since your not going to walk straight up those side hills. I bear hunt in that area and in my opinion when someone in your group kills a bear down in lick run, it becomes one of the most remote areas of the state.

wildtrout2 wrote:
FD, a good example of a remote stream with a road running it's length is Lick Run in Clinton county. You have Hazard Rd on the east side and Carrier Rd on the west side, both almost to the headwaters. But, you'll play hell trying to get down to it in many areas from either of those roads, and it gets very remote.

It's a shame the fishing isn't better there, because it's one of the most beautiful streams I've fished.

Understood, and i can think of several in NWPA that meet that description. But if they are wider than 10 feet, they get stocked.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
In most places lick run would be more than a mile from either road, especially since your not going to walk straight up those side hills. I bear hunt in that area and in my opinion when someone in your group kills a bear down in lick run, it becomes one of the most remote areas of the state.
Yep, remote describes Lick Run for sure! Here's a pic from the state owned cabin off of Carrier Road. I'd kill to live in it. :) It has one of the most beautiful views I've ever encountered in Pa. There's a trail that runs from the cabin down to Lick Run, but it's a tight/steep trail that can barely be seen unless you know it's there.

Included, here is a pic of the only trout trout I caught, a pretty brown, after making the mile and a quarter hike down to the stream. Like I mentioned before, the fishing should be better than it is on Lick Run considering it's remoteness and beauty of the stream. I did see a large bear while hiking down that trail!

Attachments

• IMG_2276 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2276 (Custom).JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2260 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2260 (Custom).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 4
Stocked. ;-)

Just joking. Nice trout.

Back