Erie Steelhead

Niagara River may be the lone uncrowded New York water.
Too big to sight fish.

My best buddy went to the SR on Friday. He went to the Altmar bridge. He said the entire fly section was mobbed. He was unable to get in any where. He went down to the Schoolhouse pool and was finally able to wade in and have about 25' of water to fish. He said within 10 minutes a guide boat dropped anchor virtually in front of him and told his clients to start fishing! My friend exercised some strong language and the guide did move on. We used to fishPA & Ohio together and learned if you want the best likelihood of getting a steelhead then you should fish a trout bead under an indicator. He hooked four and landed to really pretty fish.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 44
We used to fish PA & Ohio together and learned if you want the best likelihood of getting a steelhead then you should fish a trout bead under an indicator a float using a centerpin rod and reel.
Fixed it for you, lol....

I had a few friends up at the SR Sunday, Monday and a half-day today. They've been going up for a number of years and reported back that the crowds are as large as they can ever remember.

I'll be heading up after Christmas. Hopefully, the crowds will thin out by then.

My best buddy went to the SR on Friday. He went to the Altmar bridge. He said the entire fly section was mobbed. He was unable to get in any where. He went down to the Schoolhouse pool and was finally able to wade in and have about 25' of water to fish. He said within 10 minutes a guide boat dropped anchor virtually in front of him and told his clients to start fishing! My friend exercised some strong language and the guide did move on. We used to fishPA & Ohio together and learned if you want the best likelihood of getting a steelhead then you should fish a trout bead under an indicator. He hooked four and landed to really pretty fish.
Nice fish, I heard it gets pretty busy for steelhead. I gave it a shot really early this season and caught my first 2. I like small streams for brook trout more because there is barely a soul around.

been taken up to the salmon river since I was 10 years old by my dad. Stopped when I was 26. I loved being in a cabin drinkin beers/hanging out with my dads buddies, tying flies, getting breakfast at the diner, lunch at the bar and cooking fish for dinner and watching college and nfl football at night. The only thing that sucked was the Fish, the Fishing, the people fishing.

I found out first year up there in pulaksi it was a rigged system of artificially manufactured trophies. Caught plenty of invasive king, coho, and hatchery bows but was more excited about recipes for cooking them than catching them. The size and fight of the manufactured trophies alone was never outweighed for me by lining up elbow to elbow and combat fishing like it was some sort of global famine. Watched a man who spoke russian in a valore track suit with crisp white addidas sneakers stand on shore attaching a trebles to an empty soup can full of lead weights on the end of chain and throw it in the water from the bank. Saw him chase someone he had gotten into a fist fight with with a combat knife up from the river and down mainstream pulaski until he went out of sight from the porch of the inn we were staying at. Saw numerous fights. Daily everyone was yelling at Everyone. You were always not fishing either because you or someone else had a fish on that was swimming down stream past 50 anglers pissed off you were fighting the fish in the first place.

The Salmon River was what i imagined happening to rivers if the united states ever became food insecure and society collapsed……not a fishing trip someone would willingly take of their own volition. Anyone with curiosity and wonder about aquatic ecosystems and fish looking to immerse themselves in nature and pursue non manufactured fish would jot enjoy it most likely.

Very familiar, not going back, if ya need a fly shop recommendation or good olace to eat still happy to help. Had alot of fun at the bars and restraunts

Never mind the language,I find it acceptable for use....How would you like to be the guided sport in the boat who just realized he paid good money for a crap show.

Never mind the language,I find it acceptable for use....How would you like to be the guided sport in the boat who just realized he paid good money for a crap show.
I would like to hear the guide's sales pitch. Either it's really convincing, or they just prey on naïve, inexperienced fisherman. Probably a little of both.

Anyone who is heading to any of the tribs should not have any expectation of serene solitude. Definitely not in PA, likely not in NY, and less and less each year in OH. Unless your he has a nice chunk of private access, a guide ain't changing that.

• Love
Reactions: CRB
The big names in Erie were nuts this weekend. Didn't even bother with Elk and Walnut this weekend, just kept moving we found something where we could fish in relative quiet. There's steelhead in just about all the streams but localized to the lower parts of the streams still. Need a big blowout to get the fish (and people) spread out. Till that happens, bring the shoulder pads if you're planning on Elk or Walnut lol.

Maybe I should get my Ohio license again...

Maybe I should get my Ohio license again...
I heard from one of my guide friends that more of Conny got posted to guiding outfits.
Can't say I blame them much as it's getting tougher each year to offering a client a Good experience.

The Erie Canal was drained over the last week Oak and other smaller creeks have water and fish.
The circus is in towns far and close especially on this holiday weekend.

I heard from one of my guide friends that more of Conny got posted to guiding outfits.
Can't say I blame them much as it's getting tougher each year to offering a client a Good experience.
That may be the case but there are miles of good water on the Connie that isn't posted.

Reactions: CRB
And other Lake Erie tributaries that lie to the West.
True but one has to consider how far they are willing to drive from their home. Living in York the furthest west I have, and would, fish is the Ash. It's 350 miles from my house to Conneaut OH. That is the limit I'd drive anywhere by myself.

Last edited:
The Eastside streams in Erie are a bust. Water is so low there is very little to no fish movement. Walked a couple miles of 20 Mile and saw a total of about 40 fish. One 1 mile stretch had 5 fish. 7,12,16 were just a trickle.

The Eastside streams in Erie are a bust. Water is so low there is very little to no fish movement. Walked a couple miles of 20 Mile and saw a total of about 40 fish. One 1 mile stretch had 5 fish. 7,12,16 were just a trickle.
I've been watching Uncle John's web cameras since Wednesday. The water was low on Wednesday but the pool at the abutment (camera #4) was producing a lot of fish. I saw a couple of dozen fish caught but virtually all were those cookie cutter 22" - 24" fish. I didn't see a single big fish. Thursday it was lower and less fish were caught. Today at 6:30 in the morning, basically first light, there were 9 guys standing maybe 15' from the wall of the abutment. I only saw one steelhead caught. There is no rain in the forecast up there until next Friday.

Need significant rain to bring water levels up and fish in.
Last week only a few tenths of an inch of rain fell.

Reactions: GHM
Back