Erie Steelhead

GHM

GHM

Going up to Lake Erie these next two days and am going to fish a few tributaries in hopes of catching a steelhead (Erie area). I heard egg patterns are good but was not able to find any good ones, and I’m not even sure if it is spawn yet. I also heard white zonkers?If anyone had some suggestions I would appreciate it.

My experience with steelhead is it’s usually on or it’s off. Very tough or pretty good. Probably the biggest thing you’ll need to be concerned about is the amount of flow in the streams. The best time to go is after a rain when the stream start to drop and clear wether that’s now or January.

If the Fishing is pretty decent- the only thing you’ll need is a pink egg. You could get those online or any fly shops going to have those if you’re not tying.

I guess another thing is if the fishing tuff you could use small nymphs, like you would for trout and/or small eggs.

If you’re hard up to catch one, you could always put some skien on a hook and increase your odds

There are a number of fly/bait stores that will have everything you need. Poor Richards for example. I used to love the early season when it wasn’t cold like you’re talking about now, the problem is most of the fish are towards the mouths and that creates crowds.

I haven’t followed steel head really closely for a number of years but one thing you could do is look up uncle John’s campground they have a WebCam and you can look at the flows.

My other tip would be Fish during the week and not on the weekends when there’s significantly more crowding. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just took at look- I’d prepare for tough conditions. Might want to consider going after more rain. But always helpful scout around and become more familiar.

Might want to check out fisherie too, I find the maps on there most helpful.

Reactions: GHM
My experience with steelhead is it’s usually on or it’s off. Very tough or pretty good. Probably the biggest thing you’ll need to be concerned about is the amount of flow in the streams. The best time to go is after a rain when the stream start to drop and clear wether that’s now or January.

If the Fishing is pretty decent- the only thing you’ll need is a pink egg. You could get those online or any fly shops going to have those if you’re not tying.

I guess another thing is if the fishing tuff you could use small nymphs, like you would for trout and/or small eggs.

If you’re hard up to catch one, you could always put some skien on a hook and increase your odds

There are a number of fly/bait stores that will have everything you need. Poor Richards for example. I used to love the early season when it wasn’t cold like you’re talking about now, the problem is most of the fish are towards the mouths and that creates crowds.

I haven’t followed steel head really closely for a number of years but one thing you could do is look up uncle John’s campground they have a WebCam and you can look at the flows.

My other tip would be Fish during the week and not on the weekends when there’s significantly more crowding. Good luck.
Thanks, I am in school yet or I would totally go during the week. It is a 2 hour drive and I will already be there visiting family. I’ll tie some small eggs for a start.

It has been very dry and all the tribs are at low flow with a lot still with a dry sand bar at the mouth.
It looks to be low all week next week and very warm for this time of the year up here.
I hope that helps.
East side of Lake Ontario is my be for the next two weeks and I'm going up next weekend.

Reactions: GHM
Run long leaders and smaller diameter tippet (but not too thin!). I run Cortland 5X fluorocarbon which has a breaking strength of 5.7lbs, which is pretty strong for 5X, about 1.5 pounds stronger than other brands in the same diameter. You could probably get away with a 6wt too.

Going up to Lake Erie these next two days and am going to fish a few tributaries in hopes of catching a steelhead (Erie area). I heard egg patterns are good but was not able to find any good ones, and I’m not even sure if it is spawn yet. I also heard white zonkers?If anyone had some suggestions I would appreciate it.
There is virtually no water in any of the PA creeks. Why waste your time on a long drive only to find spooky fish in warter with little or no flow? Wait for better conditions. Plan your trip to arrive on falling high water.

White zonkers imitate dead emerald shiners. Good pattern as long as it has a clearly defined silver lateral line or silver braid body.
Thanks, I am in school yet or I would totally go during the week. It is a 2 hour drive and I will already be there visiting family. I’ll tie some small eggs for a start.
Totally spot on. No water = terrible conditions and angling frustration.

White zonkers imitate dead emerald shiners. Good pattern as long as it has a clearly defined silver lateral line or silver braid body.

Totally spot on. No water = terrible conditions and angling frustration.
No water certainly means awful conditions.
Someone recommended eggs so I tied some last night. And I just whipped up a few white deaths that someone else recommended.
IMG 0893

Hopefully I can catch one no matter what size. I have yet to catch one.

I will be up in 2 weeks to start guiding. I agree the streams need some rain to bring in more fish. However swinging wet flys and large drys fished with a twitch could be your go to paterns. There should be very little to no presure so you may have some water all to yourself. Trying to drift egg paterns in low clear water is almost a waist of time IMO. Also wolly buggers can always catch steelhead in all types of water except extreamly dirty totaly blown out water. I enjoy fishing for them in relativley low clear water and utilize
different methods to do it. Chuck and duck egg paterns with strike indicators is like watching paint dry for me.

There are always exceptions…..but Steelhead begin to congregate on the Lake shore as water temp drops below 68 degrees. They will be inclined to enter the stream once temps get into the low 60s (if the streams have sufficient depth). When water temp is below 60 degrees they can maintain their weight while staying in fast water. If they are uncomfortable they will head back to the lake. Moral of story is, check the water temp when fishing early.

If water temp is above 60 you might need to strip streamers from the Lake Shore. If temp is 60 or less and flows allow the steelies to have some holding water, you can fish the creek.

I checked Walnut water temp for last 7 days and temp range was between 67 (afternoon) and 58 degrees (at dawn). You’ll probably kill some fish if you catch them when temps are 67.

Last edited:
I'm fine tuned on the weather reports from Ohio to w.ny, a fishing trip just waiting to happen. Home basing in Ohio this year, travelling if necessary.

Just finished up fishing and didn’t catch a thing. There were dozens of fish just couldn’t find the right fly. No streamers or eggs did anything. They we’re going after dries, but definitely not terrestrials. Any clue what might be hatching?

On October 21 Jim at Folleys fly shop ( Girard Pa) will have a Steelhed Kickoff Party. 11:00 am - 5:00 Pm.
There will be many demonstrations by well know experts in there field as well as a DJ,food trucks, Micro- Brew truck and prizes.
I will be in the pavilion and should be able to help you out. The addictedangler school of angling

"There should be very little to no presure so you may have some water all to yourself."
Nuts. Fisherpeople have been fishing over them since the last week in Aug.
I've seen fishermen throughout the watersheds the past few weeks..

On October 21 Jim at Folleys fly shop ( Girard Pa) will have a Steelhed Kickoff Party. 11:00 am - 5:00 Pm.
There will be many demonstrations by well know experts in there field as well as a DJ,food trucks, Micro- Brew truck and prizes.
I will be in the pavilion and should be able to help you out. The addictedangler school of angling
Sadly, that’s about a 3hour drive from my house.

Best bet now is most likely the beach, however it's a great time to do some walking and observing the stream bottom..I have found some great holds like this

No water certainly means awful conditions.
Someone recommended eggs so I tied some last night. And I just whipped up a few white deaths that someone else recommended.
View attachment 1641232469
Hopefully I can catch one no matter what size. I have yet to catch one.
What materials and hook size did you use for this? I like it!
Steve

Back