Egg flies

Hey that stuff cost money. I'm on a fixed income now! LOL!!

Bought a couple boxes of Tiemco 2488H.
I found that I'm loosing too many fish during the fight with that hook. " H " is the heavy version of the 2488 so the problem isn't with straightening.
So, now I'm back to the 2457

not to hijack the topic but to save the mods time of them moving it to here has anyone tried www.moeroe.com and is this rig legal here in pa? this has me interested....

Dano sorry to hear your having problems with that hook, but like anything else its luck! Its the only hook I used for eggs and nymphs for steelhead , lakers, and kings! The H was for the straight eye. the old 2488 had a turned down eye! the 2488 always are 3x wide, 2x heavy and 2x short! good luck gents!

flipnfly wrote:
not to hijack the topic but to save the mods time of them moving it to here has anyone tried www.moeroe.com and is this rig legal here in pa? this has me interested....

Pegged beads are very common, and have been around a while. They are the method of choice for center pinners, and are actually mandatory in certain places in alaska, since they significantly reduce mortality. Legality is cloudy in PA. Use at your own risk. They are legal within 2 inches of the hook in NY, and are absolutely deadly.

gribble wrote:
Dano sorry to hear your having problems with that hook, but like anything else its luck! Its the only hook I used for eggs and nymphs for steelhead , lakers, and kings! The H was for the straight eye. the old 2488 had a turned down eye! the 2488 always are 3x wide, 2x heavy and 2x short! good luck gents!

"H" is for heavy wire not "straight eye"
2488 has a fine wire
2488H has 2x heavy wire
2488 and 2488H are both 3x wide, 2x short, straight eye
2487 2x wide, 2x short, fine wire, down eye
2457 2x wide, 2x short, 2x heavy wire, down eye

Good luck, Tony

I'm glad you set me straight ..lol.. Thanks!

I tie almost all my eggs on size 12 Dai-Riki 135 scud hooks.

any one ever try to use mcfly foam for sucker spawn? turns out pretty good

flipnfly wrote:
any one ever try to use mcfly foam for sucker spawn? turns out pretty good

Yes I actually prefer the McFlyfoam over Glo-Bug yarn for both suckerspawn style flies and single eggs. I also like some of the MCFF colors better than the Glo Bug yarn colors.

Kev

i just tied some sucker spawn with blood dots in them we will see how they do....

I ty my estas eggs with hourglass eyes for when the water is high muddy and fast and they seem to work great sorry about the pic

Attachments

• estas eggs 004.jpg
    estas eggs 004.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2
whats that streamer there bowman?

Flipnfly, I ty those in white ,chartreuse and blue . I think when you strip them close to the mouth or along the lake for steelies they represent shiners,i have also caught nice small mouths with them. They have a marabou tail then wrap the body stroking back the fibers till you reach your ty off.I have used under different names U V polar chenille, Hackle flash by cascade crest tools, Palmer chenille,med pearl by wapsi, then i use a bead black or gold or brass cone. Very easy to ty and alot of flash

nice looking streamer!

i also like the red tail on those estaz eggs

I'm a noob to tying (less than a year) and sat down last night to crank out my first lot of eggs. I had two types of material: Mcfly foam and Wapsi egg yarn. I became a bit frustrated with the Wapsi as I was not getting the good egg shape that I wanted.

After a couple attempts, I ditched the Wapsi and switched to the Mcfly. Wow, what a difference it made! All I had to do was pull up each side and snip. Then give a quick contouring to round out the egg shape and the fly was done. Needless to say, I'm sold the Mcfly foam. The only problem I had with the Mcfly foam was working with it in my hands as it tended to snag on my fingers. It kind of reminded me of panty hose material...

I'm gonna have to give this 'straw method' a shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ1pBrR5Ztg

wgmiller, you can also use the front portion of a common two piece pen. They work great for making smaller flies(16 and 18)! Good luck with the fly tying. I have tied all my own flies for about six years. It is a hobby all by itself! Enjoy the learning curve. It's great!

I like the McFly Foam for tying Glo bugs, it is far superior to the other yarns I've tried. It spreads out much nicer IMHO. I still use the other yarns for scrambled eggs or to put the dot in the glo bug though.

Back