Eagle Claw Featherlight

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

Are these rods REALLY good!? Has anyone here used one? I keep reading great reviews about the newest model 7', but I just can't believe it! Anyone have any thoughts?

I always know some folks who want to try fly fishing but don't want to dump the cash into a nice "beginner" rod. I'm thinking about picking this thing up and a Medalist reel. The price can't be beat....if it lives up to the hype.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Are these rods REALLY good!?

REALLY good? No. Really good? Sure, for $20.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Has anyone here used one?

Mebbe.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I keep reading great reviews about the newest model 7', but I just can't believe it!

I couldn't believe it wasn't butter, either, but now I do.

Do buy a wood reel seated version.
Do not buy an 8' version.
Don't feed it after midnight.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts?

Lots.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I always know some folks who want to try fly fishing but don't want to dump the cash into a nice "beginner" rod. I'm thinking about picking this thing up and a Medalist reel. The price can't be beat....if it lives up to the hype.

Its not a beginner rod, because it will frustrate you with slowness and weird parabolic action. It is a low cost rod. That's the beauty of essentially building the same thing for over 9000 years in a row.

ec-crossed.jpg

It is, as one sage (not to be confused with Sage's the One, a ridiculously named fly rod) voice on the Internet sez, "double sawbuck awesomenisty."

The Medalist? Pot metal junk. You're gonna need a Cheeky, minimum, to tame the power of Eagle Claw.

Nice write up.

As per pot metal junk, that's what I like! I'm going to take the reviewer's advice and get one.

Oh thanks for clarifying the difference between cheap and beginner. Maybe I'll just pick one up for myself instead.

Cheeky Fly Fishing, man, its got pastels for progressive fishermen, from sharks to bluegill, super large arbor (for bluegills!) and a ton of line capacity (for raging bluegills!). Get Cheeky or get assed!

Those things are too purdy to fish with!

Two different models. I need to find a 6'6" to complete the trinity of banana.

The 8'er blows. Its depressing how little glee it brings me.

I'm pretty sure the definition of an unbalanced fly rod is a $20 rod w/ a $680 reel haha!

Although....if I could get one that would really bring out the color scheme of the yellow fiberglass...

gfen wrote:

Two different models. I need to find a 6'6" to complete the trinity of banana.

The 8'er blows. Its depressing how little glee it brings me.

Sell it to Slammer. He like to put 'em in his mouff. Plus 'da both yellow.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Those things are too purdy to fish with!

No, you misunderstand. They are serious business. They are borne of the Forge of Vulcan, birthed from the Mjolnir and the fire of a phoenix: Able to withstand atmosphere reentry, with a drag powerful enough to stop marauding sunnies with ease. These colours are not to be taken lightly, they represent virtues... Power. Strength. Virility. Uhm..past..pastel...s? Is that a power.

C'mon, man. Look at the names. True Names are Power, that's Magic 101, dude. The Mojo! The Thrash! The Methrage! YEAH! WOO! POWER!

Seriously, though, Eagle Claw banana yellow.. It'll make a believer in fiberglass of you. Or, it'll ruin you. Possibly both for less than $20.

Boy, in that case, those reels are really underpriced, aren't they?

The Methrage is probably one of the funniest things I've seen all week haha!

You forgot The Ambush.

Sorry. I've been slipping.

cant say i've tried the others, but i picked up a used 6'6" this summer and its been good to me so far...good in some of the tighter spots i've come across.

Wow pretty intense,pickin on old yeller,Have one in a spin rod witn a micro reel and hate to say it but its a blast,Landed my biggest PA rainbow on it,18+

melvinp wrote:
Wow pretty intense,pickin on old yeller,Have one in a spin rod witn a micro reel and hate to say it but its a blast,Landed my biggest PA rainbow on it,18+

Pickin' on 'em? Hell no, I love them!

I wanted to buy one, but I have no need at all.

I too, am an advocate of these rods.

I'm interested in one of these rods. I checked them out at the local walmart and all they had were the older version with the plastic reel seat. Do anyone think that once these sell out walmart will restock with the wood seat version?

i was looking for the banana yellow one at wally world a few months ago but, alas, they were sold out. so i bought a black eagle for the same price instead. id say its worth about the $20 i spent on it.

Yeah...that's their graphite rod. Meh.

Back