Durable wet wading shoes

they make just a neoprene bootie that i would imagine would be better than socks.
Are there any wet-wading neoprene booties that keep your feet dry, so water isn't saturating skin?

I would imagine not. If it's hot enough to wet wade, I don't want my feet cooking in some sort of baggie. I suppose if you had enough duct tape...

I wet wade with crocs if I'm just out back or playing with the kids in the stream. If I am fishing for real I will wear my regular wading boots with neoprene socks. The great thing about wading in crocs is when you put your normal wading boots on you feel so secure and stable.
Dear 3sip,

A long time ago I bought a pair of Crocs at Gander Mountain that were essentially Keen Newport's but made out of plastic. The had an enclosed toe and an aggressive lug sole that gripped on every surface imaginable. I wore those things all the time everywhere to the point where I literally wore them "smooth the ..... out," to quote a line in an old Tone Loc rap.

Alas, they were discontinued. So, I tried to wear regular Crocs on a boat ramp while kayaking. I slipped and slid like a Looney Tunes character. Eventually, I fell and cracked my skull on the concrete ramp. The only thing that saved me from the DCNR suing me for damage to the State Park's boat ramp was that I was bleeding profusely. I still went kayaking once the bleeding stopped. I am the definition of a thick-headed Irishman! ;)

Now when I kayak, I wear a pair of Merrel water shoes that have a pretty thick heavily treaded sole that gives plenty of traction, even on slimy algae covered concrete ramps.

But unless I am in a lake and can wear flats boots I will never wet wade without wool socks under neoprene socks with my regular wading boots. It's worked for 35 years, no need for me to fix what ain't broke! Like I said, I am the definition of a thick-headed Irishman.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Are there any wet-wading neoprene booties that keep your feet dry, so water isn't saturating skin?
Dear 6xAdams,

Wet skin dries out in an hour or so. Secure footing with regular wading shoes might keep you from disappearing until the water bloats your body and makes it resurface.

Regards,

Ya get wet (from your tippy toes to your waist or above) when "wet" wading. I actually like wearing quick-dry pants and my regular wading boots with neoprene socks when wading in the warmer water. If I want to stay dry, I just wear waders.

Dear 6xAdams,

Wet skin dries out in an hour or so. Secure footing with regular wading shoes might keep you from disappearing until the water bloats your body and makes it resurface.

Regards,

It may just be me then. When I have the unfortunate opportunity to fish in leaky waders, my soaked feet look and feel pretty nasty for the rest of the day. Leeches and microorganisms discourage me from wet-wading anyway.

It may just be me then. When I have the unfortunate opportunity to fish in leaky waders, my soaked feet look and feel pretty nasty for the rest of the day. Leeches and microorganisms discourage me from wet-wading anyway.
Dear 6xAdams,

I can certainly understand if you or anyone else chooses not to wet wade. I've been doing it 50 plus years so I'm kind of accustomed to it. There were years when I wet waded every day for weeks and never changed my socks. I'd just wring them out and toss them in the back of the truck to wear the next day.

Regards,

I didn't even buy my first waders until I moved out west so I know I only wet waded for a few years before that. I honestly don't remember what I wore on my feet. Pretty sure socks were not involved. I don't remember catching hell from my mom for getting anything wet or muddy. Like most parents of the 70s, I'm sure she was just glad we weren't in the damn house.

I use these (below) wet wading shoes with my kayak and they are great for all day wear for launch and takeout in a kayak or drift boat. They work for light wading when beaching and jumping out of the boat to wade here and there, but I wear my regular wading boots (Patagonia Foot Tractors) and neo socks for all day wade fishing.

Update on the new shoes.....
After 12-15 trips, they look as good as new. Holding up wonderfully. Love them.

Now the bad.... Reaction to the materials in the footbed caused contact dermatitis on the bottom of my feet. They looked like over ripe tomatoes and itched like you wouldn't believe. Had to eliminate possible causes until I got to the shoes. Quick fix was adding a old pair of insoles over the fixed footbeds. Two trips in and the issue seems to be resolved 👍.

So I took my new Orvis Pro Approach Shoes out with me for my trip to Montana. I planned on using them for wet wadding, in the boats and jumping out along the rivers.

My short term review after a week is they are good, but I needed some socks to wear while I had them on during the day. The first day I went wet wadding with no socks for what I was planning a short afternoon of fishing. I didn't plan on going far, but I screwed up and started hiking up the river catching fish. The fishing was the good part. On the way back I could feel my heals and inner soles of my feet blistering up on my walk back down the road. The last 100 yards I looked like on idiot hobbling along trying not to make the blisters worse.

So after some bandaids and my alpaca socks I brought for the trip things went better when I jumped into the boat. My feet, socks and shoes got wet, but the socks made it a lot easier. My feet were wet all day in the socks, but not soaking wet. I should have worn those the first day.

We did some more stops while in the boats and jumped out into the Clark Fork to fish several times. They worked out well. Like the first day, very good support, and easy to walk over the rocky bottom.

Back