Durable wet wading shoes

I too would like to hear about any ideas on Sealskinz Hyrdostop Socks or other socks. I am going to get a pair of Orvis PRO Approach Shoes and wanted to match up a pair of socks. No way I can use neoprene. Trench foot would begin to develop the moment I put on the sock.

I'm actually getting these for my trip to Montana this August. As much of a boat shoe as anything with the occasion of jumping out the drift boat and into the water.

Thoughts?
Only think to note about boat shoes is sometimes outfits don't allow spikes in their boats, otherwise probably okay. Call in advance to your guide if you plan on using any spikes.

Only think to note about boat shoes is sometimes outfits don't allow spikes in their boats, otherwise probably okay. Call in advance to your guide if you plan on using any spikes.
Yep not a good idea to wear any kind of spikes in drift boats. The Approach Wading shoes do not have spikes, which is why I picked them out.

I have an older pair of sealskins. I had an ankle sized leak in a set of waders so I used to just put one on that foot and I stayed dry. Thin enough that it didn't add extra bulk under my neoprene bootie in the boots.

first day out in neoprene socks with wading boots.

ankle support great. traction great. i was out for 6 hours and my feet are raw from sitting in wet socks for hours. im waiting to see if the skin on my feet will dry out before bed. otherwise im scared to walk or trim toe nails with the fear of my feet falling off my legs. im not impressed with using my wading boots as my wet wading boots.

Since we're wet wading anyway, I feel like a breathable sock or one that allows drainage, same as tge boot wouldn't be better. I don't have that problem with the watershoe-teva combination.

Merrell shoes were wonderful. Comfortable, dry quick and we'll see how durability is in a few months 👍

In and out of the boat, walking the boat around, had to drag the minivan once with 2 guys in it. No socks as they would keep my feet wet longer

In and out of the boat, walking the boat around, had to drag the minivan once with 2 guys in it. No socks as they would keep my feet wet longer
And here's a pic of Kray doing it as proof. In case you didn't know, he's one mean motherxxxxer >

images

I remember when I got that cast punching cattle. I didn't know that you weren't actually punching cattle

3 days of abuse jumping in / out of the boat, dragging the boat and chasing dogs.
Pleased and they show no signs of falling apart yet.

I did a whitewater rafting trip in Patagonia that included lots of canyoneering and climbing through slot canyons - apologies for the humblebrag....
The guides instructed us to get the shoes linked below and not to vary from them - get exactly these shoes.
They were spot on. They were perfect for that trip and I've used them for wet wading since. The shoes provide better traction than I've ever gotten with felt or studded wader boots. I've had them for a years now and they have held up, drain really well and are very comfortable.

Hmmm might need to get a pair of these. What type of sock or liner do you prefer with them? I typically wear darn tough wool or smart wool socks without too may complaints or blisters while wet wading, but i wear those all the time also

Crocs work fine until a pebble or stone gets through one of the holes. I’ve used old sneakers and they aren’t too bad

Got 6 more trips on these shoes. Love, love, love them. Comfortable, dry quick and holding together so far. Think I will snag another pair before they are gone.

I tried my wading boots over two pairs heavy socks and hated the feel of the soaked socks. I will stick with sneakers.

I have just been using the heavy sock and wading boots combo. So unpleasant especially when putting them back on wet. Looking for other options.
I got 2 pairs from the Columbia Outlets in Hershey for $90 bucks. Columbia PFG with Blood and Guts Stainblocker. I am going to wear them at the beach and Kayak/Wading on the Swatara. Probably experiment with them on Penn's but those rocks will probably destroy my ankles. They basically look like a reinforced sneaker. I can't find it online sand there are so many variations. They were on sale so maybe a closeout?

they make just a neoprene bootie that i would imagine would be better than socks.

I used to do that though I think usually wore socks as well. Those booties I think came with the wading shoes and were necessary to seal off the gap that would otherwise allow debris into my wading shoe. You turned them down over the gaps and attached to the laces. My current waders have clips that attach to laces to seal off the gaps. I guess I could buy larger wading shoes but then I guess I would need to wear the booties even when not wet wading.
Also, as many pointed out, the walk in is a pain and not really good for the bottoms of the wading shoes. I think these Columbias will be fine for small streams and flat, sandy creeks like the Swatara.

I wet wade with crocs if I'm just out back or playing with the kids in the stream. If I am fishing for real I will wear my regular wading boots with neoprene socks. The great thing about wading in crocs is when you put your normal wading boots on you feel so secure and stable.

Back