Double-Bead Stonefly

Nice tie. I'm going simple with my large stone fly patterns this winter. Bead head, lead wrap, chenille body (brown, black, variegated (sp.) brown/yellow), rubber legs of various colors. Like the ones with the flecks of flash in them. Something easy that I won't mind losing. Love to tie woven bodies but hate losing them to snags.

On your tail, dubbing ball can help, but also look at the curve of the biots. Take each biot and tie it so it curves outward. This will help them not clump together.

Looks like you spent some time to increase the length of the biots on the side for the legs. I don't think that's all that important. You can see on the natural that all the legs are pretty much the same length. That may catch some fisherman's eyes, but if it takes extra time and doesn't really matter, then scrap it. That's my philosophy in most of my ties.

Great looking nymphs Sbecker!

Saw this in another forum and thought I'd post it here. Perhaps everyone would enjoy it. It really emphasizes the big and wide traits we were talking about.

http://www.oakorchardflies.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=charliesstepbysteptutorial&action=display&thread=683

stone31ys7.jpg

I think it is a good concept and i might tie some myself.

Back