Double-Bead Stonefly

Updated...... Just do not have rubber legs in a normal color.

Attachments

• Updated Stone.jpg
    Updated Stone.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Updated Stone underbody.jpg
    Updated Stone underbody.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Updated Stone Front.jpg
    Updated Stone Front.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3
To get a better bend in the biots, touch them with a hot needle. I think mkern gave that tip on here before, and it works well.

Thanks J, never heard that before.

jayL wrote:
To get a better bend in the biots, touch them with a hot needle. I think mkern gave that tip on here before, and it works well.

Knotted pheasant tail fibers work well too.

Two more suggestions....

Do the bend in the legs so they cant forward - looks more realistic.

Also, when you dub the abdomen, make the first wrap of dubbing behind the rib, then move it in front. This will prevent the rib from sliding down the hook bend, and it won't mess up your tails.

I gotta go to Wally World shortly - ya want me to pick up a bottle of Fabric Fusion for you? It's awesome stuff, and far more durable than head cement. You can even mix it 50/50 with water to make a very good non-toxic head cement. It also makes a good feather fixative, to keep them from splitting. Fabric Fusion is flexible when it dries, unlike Sally Hansen's.

Yep, pick it up lol

Bwhahaha... Thanks Ed for stopping by today! I made this golden with a blend of three dubbings. Fly Dk (Slovokia) Spectra Yellow, Spectra Orange, and Beaver pale yellow. I wrapped some lead on the body behind the first bead and flattened it with a pliers. It gave the body a real nice flat and wide body once the dubbing was wrapped. Thanks whoever gave me that idea. I ribbed with silver wire, and Ed brought me up some rubber legs. Thanks

Attachments

• Golden.jpg
    Golden.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Golden Stone.jpg
    Golden Stone.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Golden Stone front.jpg
    Golden Stone front.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2
Nice tie.

I like to mark them up with a dark permanent marker, too.

picture_1421_small.jpg

Mr.Becker,may I ask a question?

I'd have stuck with the brown v-rib. The silver wire gets "lost" in there. Thick brown sewing thread would also work...

Also, be more generous with the Fabric Fusion - it shrinks down quite a bit once it dries. You can add more at any time - play around with it some. Run it right up over the thread head, too. A bodkin or needle helps to spread it around.

Oh - I forgot to tell you. Don't use that liquid floatant on cdc. It rocks for everything else though.

This thread is a good example of the good things that can happen on the fly tying forum. We'll all be better off if we work together, instead of beating each other up.

Dumb one I suppose but that's never stopped me.
Wouldn't heavily weighted ,bottom scouring nymphs,such as stoneflies ride point up?
Nice ties by the way.

I have no idea Pete, maybe someone with a little more knowledge could chime in.

I think they do,that's why Brooks preferred to tie them in the round.
However,it ain't gonna sell.Trout don't really care.Just having fun with you.

I hope it does ride point up, less snags with all of that weight.

Well, I tried thinking about this logically...
Do I snag stoneflies on the bottom?
Yes, Quite often actually.
Well then, I must have the hook riding point down at some points.
What could we do to fix that while maintaining a nymph-ular shaped body?
You could attach a piece of lead wire on either side of the hook shank, making the body flat. Then, you could take a final piece of lead wire and put it on the top of the hook. That'll make the fly ride like a clouser minnow, less snags, and hopefully more fish; Theoretically. But, then its not as flat...then just kinda smush it down, the weight will still be there. Just my thoughts. Let me know what you think about what I think I thought.

You probably don't snag nearly as many that just tick off the bottom.
Much like fishing plastic on jig heads over oyster bars..they ride point up but you will snag once in a while.Point down,everytime.
I could be wrong but physics would say if body density[weight] exceeds point,the body will go first.
I am probably wrong,again.lol

tie it on a jig style hook to ride point up

See this awhile back, stonefly patterns were my first thought. I haven't tried it yet though. Channel lead

JH

Looks like an old Russian airplane I once flew on when I was in Mongonlia! Nice fly I would just do the leggs short to long like the real baby.

Back