Double-Bead Stonefly

SBecker

SBecker

I saw this pattern in the latest Fly Tyer Magazine. I decided after reading the little blog entry by George Daniel on PAFF that I should tie up some big underwater patterns. I have NO stoneflies in my nymph box and decided I absolutely needed to start tying these. This is my first attempt at this pattern and will take criticism with no problem. This did take me a good 20 minutes to tie, but I am sure most of you guys can whip them up a little faster. Blast away LOL

Hook: Dai Riki 700 streamer 4x long Size 8
Thread: Danville 6/0 black
Dubbing: Hairline Custom BlendDub Brown Stone
Rib: Small Brown D rib
Beads: 2 Tungsten Copper Finished Beads
Legs: Brown Goose Biot's
Wingcase: Turkey Tail

Attachments

• Double-Bead Stonefly Side View.jpg
    Double-Bead Stonefly Side View.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 34
  • Double Bead Stonefly Side View.jpg
    Double Bead Stonefly Side View.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Double Bead Stonefly Top.jpg
    Double Bead Stonefly Top.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Double Bead Stonefly Bottom.jpg
    Double Bead Stonefly Bottom.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 5
looks good to me....the next ones will go much faster.

Overall not bad at all, that dog will hunt for sure. Two things though, yellow/ golden stones are way more productive for me, and when tying in your biots for the tail build a small ball of thread/dubbing first and then tie them in one at a time that will help split them.

Also that thing needs to eat some meat and potatoes as Ed would say. It's a stone fly no need to be cheap with the dubbing.

Ok now I'm done going all Utah on ya!

Could not just edit your first post huh? LOL
Dubbing to split tails, gotcha. More dubbing, gotcha. Waiting on some feathers to tie up my golden cdc stonefly. Should be here next week. What kind of dubbing for yellow or goldends? Also, I tied the body in a dubbing loop, because this dubbing is real long and hard to work with. However, I was afraid to use too much, because of slender body thought. Are you saying to put more up by the beads, or the whole fly?

I use trout hunter yellow cdc dubbing. Go to Turp's website and watch his video I tie pretty much the same fly but I get a carried away with rubber legs. The cotton makes a huge difference weight wise.

That is a good video, I really like that pattern. The cotton trick is new to me. One question, WTF was with the ghost orbs in the background?

Why not put some lead wraps between the beads, and back pretty far into the abdomen? That'd also help with keeping the beads spaced where you want them. Cover with some brown Uni-Stretch, pinch the abdomen flat, and dub over that. That fly could then do double duty as a boat anchor.

Dubbing ball to split the tails? That's for girls. :cool:

Just pinch the biot tips in your fingers, and tie them in 45 degrees toward you. Let the thread torque move them into position.

Another suggestion - keep the back legs longer than the front legs. Like the real bugs...

No clue never watched it.

***disclaimer- The following is Johnny Utahs Opinion. He express it and his experiences on what has and works for HIM. This does not mean, nor is he saying YOU must do this.*****

The tie is great for your first attempt. Good Job Becker. You can save a lot of time by just doing one long wing case. Trout cant count. I havent tied a double wing case in i dont know how long.

Excellent suggestion. I'd also be tempted to coat the wingcase with some Fabric Fusion, to improve durability (since I know he doesn't have a UV light and some UV cured stuff).

Can someone get me that link to that fly on Turp's site? I can't seem to find it. I too am curious of the whole cotton thing...

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Excellent suggestion. I'd also be tempted to coat the wingcase with some Fabric Fusion, to improve durability (since I know he doesn't have a UV light and some UV cured stuff).

Fabric fusion is excellent stuff. I have found it be more durable not to mention is also adheres better than the top u.v. brands. And for 6.95 you can a ton. Great deal and great stuff. It will also ad weight to the pattern which isnt a bad thing.

Some great suggestions on improvements. I like my SFs to be beefier and heavier (I often use them as an anchor fly). Also I, actually the fish, really love squiggly rubber legs. Check out the SF profile in the pic.

Attachments

• Stonefly.jpg
    Stonefly.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Beckerfly.jpg
    Beckerfly.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 4
I did coat the turkey feather with a head cement, is that not good?
Yea, I wonder why I made the legs the opposite, hmm... Well will make sure switch them around. Should have picked up some different colored silly legs, when we were at evening hatch.
J.J. type in Ben Turpin stonefly into you tube. I would link, but I am on my phone.

If you need some stonefly patterns, may I recommend the "Chain Gang" as created by our very own Dean Myers. Lots of motion in the water!

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2010/10/14/chain-gang-stonefly-nymph-by-dean-myers/

Ben Turpin Stonefly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBS4wKD17k&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLFCD829FF19A9EA15

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Uv lights can be had on amazon for under 5 bucks.

Get one, Becker.

Overall very nice, but beefier is better, IMO.

Loren Williams used to have a great tutorial on his site for stone flies. He'd take thick lead and tie it parallel to the shank on each side, then wrap more lead around that so you would get a real thick, flat body. He'd even take pliers to it to make it flatter.

Also, I agree with Chimmy, golden stones have been more productive in my experience.

And also what afish said, rubber side legs, +1!

Back