Dogs Days on the Lehigh

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
To tag on to the thread that Albatross started, I am heading to the Lehigh for a rafting trip with my son’s Boy Scout troop next weekend. There is a planned water release from the dam that weekend. We will be staying at the Hickory Run State Park and then going out during the day on the rafting trip. It should be a good time on the water with all this hot weather.

I can’t help but ask for any thoughts about trying to get out and get a few hours on the river for some fly fishing, if that is even a consideration. I didn’t know if the water there was any better because of the releases. Any thoughts? It is only one of the few areas in the state I have never fished and not sure what I should expect, especially in August.

Thanks,

Dave

I was on the Lehigh last night and all I saw were some tricos and a couple caddis. However I did see some trout cruising the banks and it did look like they were taking an occasional terrestrial. I was at Fish hatchery road though. Only got one to hand and lost a brownie that the fellow 2 holes downstream from me said looked 21". He got closer to it than I did. Except for a missing mandable most of the trout I've seen from that stream the last few weeks are in exemplary condition and very nicely colored.
Nice to see the landlord post.

I was up there last summer around this time. Check with A&A Outfitters or Evening Hatch, both are listed on your shops page. They gave me good advice on previous trips (and a couple of good flies too). Evening Hatch also has a nice colection of books.

Some sections of the Lehigh are slick with a few ankle busting rocks mixed in so be careful wading. There are several nice small streams in the area but in this weather the largest hatch will be the nats around your head. MHO they are best left for cooler days.

BTW if you are camping use the usual bear precautions. They have been active.

Dave,

You’ll really enjoy the area. Consider fishing Mud Run and/or Hickory Run in the Park, especially if time is a consideration. To get to Mud Run, just walk downhill from your camping area. You can also hike with the kids to Hawk Falls, just follow the marked trail. Mud Run is a DHALO area and has stocked and wild fish. It remains cool all summer. Hickory Run is close to the Park office and has all wild fish.

Attached is a link to a map of the Park. Have a great time!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/hickoryrun/hickoryrun_maps.aspx

P.S. Many areas of the Lehigh are tough wading, especially during a WW release weekend. Consider that when taking kids with you. Good luck.

If you can make it to the heritage section of teh LLH it has been consistantly cold almost all summer.

Guys,

Thank you all for the advice on the bears and safety concerns of the stream. It is the kind of thing I was looking for. I am very concerned too about fishing over heat stressed trout. I'll continue to check that out as well.

I do appreciate the comments.

Dave

Back